What's new
What's new

Mobile Army Machine Shop.

When I was in college I was part of the Formula SAE competition. We would make a small race car and compete with other schools.

Anyway, GM would bring out a semi-trailer with a full machine shop inside. The guys working at the trailer would do whatever they could to help out the students during the competition. It was a pretty cool setup. All the basic machines and materials you could ask for inside a mobile rig. They even had welding.

I can't tell you how many drill bits they broke for us drilling holes in cap screws for safety wire. Those guys had some real patience.

There was an artical a few yrs ago on the current model mobile shop. I think it had a B axis Mazak lathe in it. I think they planned on using it as both a mill and lathe, but maybe there was a mill in the trailer too. ???

Also - programming was done offline - via satalite link.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

There was an article (maybe same one Ox is talking about) in one of the trade rags - I wanna say american machinist.

Modern version is in one or two shipping containers. Which when you think about it pretty impressive.

Also, various parties have told me that in WWII, it was common for some machines to arrive (at say an air base in the pacific) and then a group of machinists who would finish up the shop, then start to support of aircraft or whatever.

Its not a British army mobile workshop thats for sure

Way too over equipped...

My dad (ex REME * ) said all he ever needed to fix stuff was a big hammer and a screwdriver

Boris

* Rough engineering made 'ere .. as the old joke goes :D

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/mazak/mazaks-best-227898/

Had a bit of Mori vs. Mazak for a few years in the shop and finally admitted defeat completely. Had a lot of misinformation by a misinformed programer/operator while I was still learning to g-code. He was afraid of macros all ways said cycles couldn't be modified. Never stopped learning and learnt better.

I like Mazaks, I think they are excellent value. However when I hear "best" I think of top quality, and I don't think Mazak, is better then some of the high end MTB's.

Its not a British army mobile workshop thats for sure

Way too over equipped...

My dad (ex REME * ) said all he ever needed to fix stuff was a big hammer and a screwdriver

Boris

* Rough engineering made 'ere .. as the old joke goes :D

If a hammer doesn't fix it - it's an electrical fault.

I ran across this today. Used in 1943 that's even older than me!:eek:

File:Mobile Machine Shop US Army 1943.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder if they have a mobile shop now? Most likely, and I wonder what it looks like? Any of you service guys got a picture?

Maybe I should buy a big rig with dual trailers, put my shop in it and drive from customer to customer.:D:D

Steve:codger:
I think I saw something similar for sale awhile ago on DRMO/ Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation

It was a M35A3 with a hard box on the back with a bunch of benches and cabinets. The machines were not in it anymore, but I think it had a PTO driven air compressor.

Back