What's new
What's new

Morris Midwest

TimD

Hot Rolled
I recently bought a new Okuma lathe via Morris Midwest, Milwaukee. This is my first time buying a brand new machine. The process as been rather turbulent and not sure if it's them or me. I don't really want to turn this into a bashing post but I'd be rather reluctant to buy another Okuma or any other machine from Morris at this point.

What have your experiences been like with Morris or specifically Morris Midwest, Milwaukee? How has your dealer/Okuma relationship been?

I deal with Morris Midwest in Roselle, but a lot of the paperwork goes through Milwaukee because it's there headquarters. I've never had any problems with them. They are good to deal with and always take care of us. I've been a customer for 10 years now.

There having an open house tomorrow and Wednesday in Roselle. Are you planning to attend?

Glad to hear you have had a positive experience. Does your support come out of Roselle or Milwaukee, guessing Roselle? The impression I get is that they are either short staffed and/or inexperienced. It also doesn't seem as though there is great information flow between Morris and Okuma.

Re Morris Madness. I kept going back and forth if I was going to take the time to go. I just have to many irons in the fire at the moment. I came down with some bug and haven't been worth much the last few days, actually why I'm sitting typing this than out of the floor. So that just makes it less likely.

Support usually comes out of Roselle, but sometimes if a local tech isn't available one from Wisconsin comes out. They charge drive time from Roselle though.

The Morris Madness show is pretty good. They have a lot of vendors there. They also have a lot of machines on the floor and quite a few demo parts being run. It's a good chance to build relationships with sales guys, apps guys, service guys, and administrative staff. I always have questions on new or existing machines that get answered by apps guys. It's worth it to me just for that aspect.

Ahh, morris midwest milwaukee! Bought my first okuma from them, and my last. After 4 weeks of the most miserable bullshi$$ you could imagine, and threatening to throw the POS salesman out the door head first, we told them to take the machine back. It never ran, not one chip. ( not the machines fault at all). Lost 5 grand down payment. They refused to take the machine back, until I told them it will be sitting on the curb on Friday, because a new machine is coming in. A rigger showed up that evening. Wont get into details, but in my 19 years of business, I have never come close to that level of absolute hatred for a person or company. Ever!

I finally made a call this morning to Okuma over my on continuing frustrations and lack of communication. Received a call from a new Morris individual that I haven't previously spoken to. Long story short, over 25% of the purchase price on the lathe was for options. I was quoted 4-6 weeks for installation. It will be six weeks on Thursday. Until today I haven't been able to get any updates since the 9th. The update I received today was that they would have the drawings done for the modifications tomorrow. Now of course they still need to make said parts...

Morris has been staying in better contact since my last post. Unfortunately there are further delays with the options. I've tried contacting Okuma directly but don't get past the service guy who takes a message. I've specifically asked for a call back from Okuma but haven't received one. My guess is they keep kicking it back to Morris.

As it turns out the option that I've attempted to purchase is listed in the Okuma system as a valid option but they've never sold it for this particular machine and it hasn't been designed. This is what I'm being told by Morris at least. At this point I have no date. I've asked if it will be weeks or months and Morris isn't able to comment as it is currently in Okuma's hands. I've been told that Okuma US is communicating with Okuma Japan and that Okuma US will likely complete the modifications. That said the Okuma portion is the electronic interface/ladder/software, etc.

Morris is still working on the hardware side and that seems to be coming along.

It took 6 weeks and 2 days before I was informed that the interface hadn't even been designed, let alone available.

As it turns out the option that I've attempted to purchase is listed in the Okuma system as a valid option but they've never sold it for this particular machine and it hasn't been designed....

.... the interface hadn't even been designed, let alone available.

I'm curious, what's the option? And, does being the initial field tester make you nervous?

Your salesman wasn't one of these guys was it?

5b2rnl.jpg

We are currently looking at getting a Tsugami swiss machine. The sales rep I have been working with has been helpful and prompt(from Morris Midwest Milwaukee). They're even blocking out time in the next couple weeks to run some test parts in their machine to verify process and times. Although, it's quite possible they're helpful because we haven't signed any paperwork yet.

My biggest gripe is they sent their junior sales guy initially that only had a few months experience and didn't know squat about the machines. After the initial contact was made then the senior sales guy came out.

Your salesman wasn't one of these guys was it?

Thank you I needed a good chuckle.

I'm curious, what's the option? And, does being the initial field tester make you nervous?

It's a turret mounted steady rest. Mounted to the lower turret of a twin turret machine.

They are actually out there right now trying to figure out how to route the hoses. I would have expected that to be done in week one or two? I didn't realize they needed to measure the actual machine. I assumed they had solid models and this work was being done. I was told they do it all the time...

I have the Morris Sales Manger out there two. He's trying to put a hard push on me to sign the release for the lease company to pay Morris...

Thank you I needed a good chuckle.

It's a turret mounted steady rest. Mounted to the lower turret of a twin turret machine.

They are actually out there right now trying to figure out how to route the hoses. I would have expected that to be done in week one or two? I didn't realize they needed to measure the actual machine. I assumed they had solid models and this work was being done. I was told they do it all the time...

I have the Morris Sales Manger out there two. He's trying to put a hard push on me to sign the release for the lease company to pay Morris...

Jesus, I would have thought more of a "World class machine tool builder"....

Yes, they all have solid models, I have gotten them from various manuf's before.

IIRC long shaft lathes with travelling steadies was more from :
HEYLIGENSTAEDT
Maybe Okuma (although well respected) doesn't do much of this kind of lathe work.

Don't sign off anything until the "Final run off" is to your complete satisfaction.

Doug is right, until the machine is running to spec. DO not sign anything. Once the finance company pays off on the machine, you own the sucker & the loan company just wants the payment every month.
Long story but I bought a machine 8 or 9 years ago that blew up two spindles in less than 6 weeks after install. Wound up sending the machine back, but had I signed off I would have owned the problem.

Before going further I should add some background that until now, rereading the thread, I hadn't realized I omitted here on PM. Part of the arrangement on this was that they would get the machine on my floor so that I could attempt to make the parts without the steady rest. It takes five operations rather than the one operation it will take with the steady rest but we are making chips.

The Morris reasoning is that if I'm making parts on the machine I should release the funds to cover the machine portion of the purchase. I was on board with that until I was told that the interface the steady rest needs hasn't been designed and that they can't commit to a delivery date. Admittedly I failed to relay that change in my stance to Morris.

This morning proceeded. They got their measurements. The company that is actually going to make the hardware now has what they need to begin work on the adaption.

Then it got interesting. Short version. I refused to sign the release until I had a date for the steady rest. The sales manger took the keys out of the control and after some discussion drove off. I guess he called my bluff, I signed the release for the machine portion of the purchase and the keys were returned.

The sales manger probably thinks I'm an unreasonable raging a-hole. I personally find it unfortunate that all of my interactions with him have been heated. It really isn't how I normally conduct business. We just can't seem to see eye to eye.

That sounds like a bad move... and quite frankly sales guys are sales guys, most don't give a shit if they sell you the right or wrong machine or car or anything so long as they make a sale, asap.

Let us know in a few months if they got it figured out and working for ya...

Before going further I should add some background that until now, rereading the thread, I hadn't realized I omitted here on PM. Part of the arrangement on this was that they would get the machine on my floor so that I could attempt to make the parts without the steady rest. It takes five operations rather than the one operation it will take with the steady rest but we are making chips.

The Morris reasoning is that if I'm making parts on the machine I should release the funds to cover the machine portion of the purchase. I was on board with that until I was told that the interface the steady rest needs hasn't been designed and that they can't commit to a delivery date. Admittedly I failed to relay that change in my stance to Morris.

This morning proceeded. They got their measurements. The company that is actually going to make the hardware now has what they need to begin work on the adaption.

Then it got interesting. Short version. I refused to sign the release until I had a date for the steady rest. The sales manger took the keys out of the control and after some discussion drove off. I guess he called my bluff, I signed the release for the machine portion of the purchase and the keys were returned.

The sales manger probably thinks I'm an unreasonable raging a-hole. I personally find it unfortunate that all of my interactions with him have been heated. It really isn't how I normally conduct business. We just can't seem to see eye to eye.

Not to break your balls, but you screwed up. They have been paid!! You do not have the complete machine you paid for, I would have not hesitated to tell them to tell them that the machine is being moved into the parking lot & they can pick it up there.
Oh well, water under the bridge, just keep standing on them to complete what they sold you.

At this point....I would ring up Okuma usa directly.

Don't even let the dealer in the building.

I'm reminded of something that comes into my head in these situations:
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

Not that I'd ever have occasion to buy from that dealer, but based on your story I won't bother looking at Okuma. What's that sales manager's name, just in case he ends up working for somebody I do deal with? PM me if you're worried about it.

Maybe it was a mistake, I guess time will tell. Right or wrong I have an outstanding commitment to my customer to deliver parts. I can't produce at the rate I promised but at least I'm getting them something. I guess I could have bypassed the key locks but didn't think of that soon enough.

I'll contact Okuma again on Monday. Anyone have a specific contact at Okuma that may be helpful?

Time to go home and play with my kids.

Back