What's new
What's new

Moving into a foreman position

Scubapro

Plastic
Hello everyone, I accepted a job offer as a night shift foreman. I have always had good leadership ability but have never been the one in charge. Im looking for some tips, good books, or links to similar posts (I couldnt find any here).

Thank you in advance!

Congrats on the promotion. I am not sure of any books on the subject, but I would only say, treat everyone with an even hand. Nothing stirs up the pot and causes dissention quicker than playing favorites..

Biggest thing is to get to know the poeple working under you. Find out what makes them happy, hobbies they have, ect... That way once in awhile you can carry on a conversion about something outher than work. With a reasonable knowledge so that they don't think your just making conversation to pass time or just suck-up.

Con grats and best of luck, you'll need it, and a thick skin because you'll be the rubbing block between management and workers.

As said above, treat everybody evenly,................. if you have buddies you'll have to tell them straight - you can't and won't show favoritism, if they won't accept it, they ain't buddies!!................... be firm but fair,................ there will always be a few who'll test or see how far they can push you - don't rise to the bait.................if you have to pull a guy up short, keep your cool and explain calmly and clearly the reasons why he's on the carpet.

Don't let management push you about, if what they're asking is ''impossible'' tell them and explain why, if for eg ''they still want it all'' you have to stand up to them and say something like ''You can have one or the other, no both - your call''

Oh and get yourself a good pair of tweezers and a mirror, you'll need em to pull the fence splinters out of your ass:)

Is this a promotion at your present job, or is it a job at a different firm?

You will have about two weeks where you are golden and you can make all kinds of changes. Of the ones you think need done, pick the biggest one you think you can manage and make it. The little ones will come much easier after that.

Remember what manufacturing is, at the source. IE machinists, tool men, operators, chip sweepers. And remember what qualitlies those people bring. Also you have to be able to determine who (of the skilled people) is best for any given job. Meaning you need to know what level people are at and who can do the job the best and fastest. Everyone has their qualities and weakness', it's your job to know what they are and delegate accordingly. If you give a guy a job that you know is over his head and the job ends up costing the company, that my friend, is your fault. Foreman is a tough job, good luck.

Robert

Just remember that you'll be nobodies friend at work any more

The guys under you will see you as 'management' and the management will will see you as a shopfloor nobody

But its pretty easy, just remember that while the management are kicking you for a failure, you'll be able to kick downwards and pass the message along to the guys who need to hear it
Treat everone on the shop floor the same, praise where needed and the aforementioned kicking where needed, and dont be afraid to put on "I'm da management" hat and drag someone off to the office for a roasting when they are out of order

Hardest things I found to do sometimes was to walk away from a machine once the operators have been shown, and look someone in the face and fire them when they've had the 3 strikes I allow people

Boris

Then call the temp agency and give those %%*%**ers a roasting for sending us useless people..... while fending off calls from a customer's nightshift manager who wants to know when our next box of widgets will be arriving :ack2:

Thank you everyone for the advice. Fortunately I am starting out small, including me there is only 3 people on the shift. One is my age (23) the other is in his 40's or 50's. I am concerned the older gentleman will not be happy about my age, what would the best way be to handle a situation like that? I haven't met the night shift yet but the owner says it shouldn't be a problem, but I am still worried about it.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Fortunately I am starting out small, including me there is only 3 people on the shift. One is my age (23) the other is in his 40's or 50's. I am concerned the older gentleman will not be happy about my age, what would the best way be to handle a situation like that? I haven't met the night shift yet but the owner says it shouldn't be a problem, but I am still worried about it.

I'm with you on this on the last job I was at was a foremans job, I was around 25 most of the guys had more years with the company than I was old. Small place like you mentioned and all older guys. The big thing you will most likely deal with is proving yourself to them in the beginning. They will test you I'm sure of it. If you don't know the answer don't be affraid to ask the "older" guys that have the knowledge. Don't try to change much of anything in the beginning let them get comfortable with the "new little snott nosed brat" first. (It worked for me) The odds are they are still doing things the same way they did them 30 years ago, can't tell you how many times I heard that. Bring the change in slow 1 job at a time. After you gain thier trust, then you go in to the change abit faster. Many of the jobs at that shop were running faster and more profitable after a few years it just took time to gain the trust. Probley didn't change but a few jobs the first year, once they ran over and over and they figured out it was going to work out. Then we went to bussiness. cutting production times on a couple of jobs per week.

I was in a similar boat once, I'm now probaly one of the older guys:eek:

How difficult your new job will be is going to depend on the previous forman. Was he popular, why was he being replaced? What has been neglected and for how long?

Hopefully this will be a positive experience for you. Good luck

A good book is "The One Minute Manager" by Ken Blanchard. As others have said, treat the employees with respect. The people doing the work are your biggest asset or liability, depending on the mood at work. I would begin by observing the work flow and getting a feel for how things are going.

Don't go in and pound your chest and pronounce yourself King, just go in and be in charge. Comunicate everything with the employees, and they will appreciate your honesty. Don't comunicate, and you will breed rumors. Ask for their help instead of barking orders, and you should be pleasantly surprised at the results. If you do get someone who pushes back, quietly ask what the problem is. You may even have to be point-blank and ask "Who's running the show, here?", and hopefully the problem will see where the conversation is headed and won't push you far enough you have to put on your asshole hat and tell him what's what, but don't be scared to put the hat on and do the dirty work.
Where in Washington are you?

I'm with you on this on the last job I was at was a foremans job, I was around 25 most of the guys had more years with the company than I was old. Small place like you mentioned and all older guys. The big thing you will most likely deal with is proving yourself to them in the beginning. They will test you I'm sure of it. If you don't know the answer don't be affraid to ask the "older" guys that have the knowledge. Don't try to change much of anything in the beginning let them get comfortable with the "new little snott nosed brat" first. (It worked for me) The odds are they are still doing things the same way they did them 30 years ago, can't tell you how many times I heard that. Bring the change in slow 1 job at a time. After you gain thier trust, then you go in to the change abit faster. Many of the jobs at that shop were running faster and more profitable after a few years it just took time to gain the trust. Probley didn't change but a few jobs the first year, once they ran over and over and they figured out it was going to work out. Then we went to bussiness. cutting production times on a couple of jobs per week.

thank you racen, That sounds like good advice.

I was in a similar boat once, I'm now probaly one of the older guys:eek:

How difficult your new job will be is going to depend on the previous forman. Was he popular, why was he being replaced? What has been neglected and for how long?

Hopefully this will be a positive experience for you. Good luck

From what I know there was no previous foreman. I have briefly spoke with some folks on the weekend shift, they all say the place is great and the owner takes really good care of everyone. Im actualy not sure if I will be the foreman or the lead. he has descibed the postion to me both ways. First he descibed the position as a lead, and then as a "working foreman". is there a difference, if so what? He also said if I do good he will move more people to the shift. I am confident I can do the the job, but at the same time I am starting to feel a bit intimidated. I see many learning curves a head!

A good book is "The One Minute Manager" by Ken Blanchard. As others have said, treat the employees with respect. The people doing the work are your biggest asset or liability, depending on the mood at work. I would begin by observing the work flow and getting a feel for how things are going.

Don't go in and pound your chest and pronounce yourself King, just go in and be in charge. Comunicate everything with the employees, and they will appreciate your honesty. Don't comunicate, and you will breed rumors. Ask for their help instead of barking orders, and you should be pleasantly surprised at the results. If you do get someone who pushes back, quietly ask what the problem is. You may even have to be point-blank and ask "Who's running the show, here?", and hopefully the problem will see where the conversation is headed and won't push you far enough you have to put on your asshole hat and tell him what's what, but don't be scared to put the hat on and do the dirty work.
Where in Washington are you?

Thank you Charlie, I am downloading the ebook now. Your input is greatly appretiated, the input you all have put in is greatly appreciated!

The shop is located 5 min from me in Granite Falls.

The best foreman is one who is honest, has his workers back and works as a buffer between management and the people on the shop floor. Too many people in charge throw people under the bus to protect themselves and as soon as they do that they lose respect. Your job is to get the most production out of the shift by whatever means possible. You need to be there to help provide the tools necessary to facilitate maximum efficiency, whether it be by training, better processes or by getting management to invest in tooling or machinery upgrades. Acting like a drill sergeant is going to get you nowhere. Evaluate all situations honestly, if the problem is management not providing the necessary tools to do the job let them know. Being a yes man to those above you isn't going to help anything.

Granite Falls? I've ridden through there a few times. Beautiful country.

very beautiful. My aunt and uncle run the museum in town, they have done a great job with it. Next time your in town I recomend checking it out. they are open on sunday only.

Back