What's new
What's new

NEC (Misc. not elsewhere classified)

rj newbould

Diamond
In a couple of days I'll be deleting the Venting and Lighten up threads to save storage space. If there's anything in there you want, now is the time to save it.

Here is the place to put gripes:angry:, jokes:D, or just general comments:typing:. I'll be cleaning it out once in a while when it gets too cluttered, so don't put precious, keeper, stuff in here.

rj :O)

More bloody change for the sake of it.

Just when us poor bedraggled downtrodden machinists get our head round a system, it's gotta go.

Sheesh.

;)

4 Jaws x .200"

This is more of a rant than a question, so:

Rant.gif

Who (Sunshine?) in their right bloody mind is responsible for [what appears to be] the standardization on .200" pitch screws in 4 jaw chucks? :angry:

I have both a 12" and a 24" 4 jaw independant chucks. Not sure the make of the 12, possibly Bison? I don't know.. I think the 24" is a Cushman.

They BOTH use the same .200 pitch on their screws!

I want to know if enyone ever thought this through - just what it is that you intend to doo with the unit that you ordered it as "independant".

Trying to dial in .001's on a .200/rev screw can be :willy_nilly:

If I was building one of these it would have a fine pitch screw! Possibly a sloppy fit to allow chips, but still - a LOT finer than .200!

ShortBus.jpg

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have no problem dialing to zero a four jaw independent. For the last thousandth or so, no jaw is loosened but the high side jaw merely tightened.

IMHO, if the screw pitch were finer than it appears now, too much energy would be available to the 'wrench turner' and serious damage to the chuck could be possible.

Stuart

This is more of a rant than a question, so:

Rant.gif

Who (Sunshine?) in their right bloody mind is responsible for [what appears to be] the standardization on .200" pitch screws in 4 jaw chucks? :angry:

I have both a 12" and a 24" 4 jaw independant chucks. Not sure the make of the 12, possibly Bison? I don't know.. I think the 24" is a Cushman.

They BOTH use the same .200 pitch on their screws!

I want to know if enyone ever thought this through - just what it is that you intend to doo with the unit that you ordered it as "independant".

Trying to dial in .001's on a .200/rev screw can be :willy_nilly:

If I was building one of these it would have a fine pitch screw! Possibly a sloppy fit to allow chips, but still - a LOT finer than .200!

ShortBus.jpg

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You say that now but what happens when you do a 2" part followed by a 10" part. Gripping about how long it takes to screw in/out the jaws every darn time you put a new part in. ;)

Humour would appear to be directed at the gripes in some cases :D

Looking at things from a positive angle then this thread will be the perfect place to gripe about bad jokes and joke about silly gripes LOL

RJ, congratulations on a novel idea :)

Thank you.. I hope it has the intended result of making the forum more user-friendly.

Top o' the thread, from July 6, 2011...

rj wrote: "In a couple of days I'll be deleting the Venting and Lighten up threads to save storage space. If there's anything in there you want, now is the time to save it."

Chip

If I had written that then you'd have written I was dancing around rather than answering the question :D

It is rather hard not to notice it as it has a prominent placement.
Either it has significance or it doesn't. If not then why is it even there?

I didn't create the system, and have no idea of it's purpose if it even has one. Therefore I cannot answer your question.

Is that enough for you?

My first response to you was too short to be a dance.

I have another question that's also totally irrelevant to this sub-forum.

OK, some upgrade gave us the ability to 'like' a post by a member. Why isn't there a way to DISLIKE a post as well?

I seem to have accumulated a number of 'likes', ok, fine, but how's my score on offending people going? I like a balance....

PDW

Winders 7 & Outlook 2010 (e-mail)

Sporting my first new putor.
Needed the capacity, and the speed is a super benefit.
Jury still out about "7". Too soon to tell.

But I am purdy darned sure about this e-mail! Purdy sure it sucks!

"Outlook 2010" has more gimmicky crap than a 5 axis CAM program! Hows come would someone go to all the trouble and take something as bloody well simple as e-mail, and make it the most complex BS known to bytes? Even after I have "shelved" as much as I have figgered out to, the screen left to view mail (remember mail?) is only 2/3 what it would have been on something old skewl mail. :willy_nilly:

We have not fingered out eny way to import the address book from XP to this here.

I believe that Mamma mentioned that the putor joint mentioned something about loading "9" onto it and being able to move all saved mails and address book and such. Would hafta dbl check on that tho.

Has enyone done this? How is "9"?

My "old" putor is to go into the house for my daughter to use for her senior yr yet, as the one that she was using died some time ago. However I doo have a Winders 98 unit that I use everyday as well, and I could use the mail on that one instead. Only thing is that I was really looking fwd to having XP to doo mail as that one has the return request (?) feature, and I use the '98 unit to make and send quotes, and it seems that sometimes they end up out in some black hole somewhere. (Prolly all compacted into a zip file? ;) )

A) Does enyone like "2010"?
B) Has it "grown" on you? (I Shirley don't see this happening)
C) Has enyone switched to "OE9" on "7"?
C1) Is OE9 essentially the same as the old "6" (and older) that I am used to?
D) Why don't we have a 'Putor Issues" board on this site?
Since we are all on putors of some sort - we all would be having some issues eh? Course the problem with that is that no-one will be looking there the day (week?) that you are having troubles I guess. Maybe this thread is best?
D1) At least that way - a quick search could locate many legacy issues. .... ???

E) Does enyone really have a clue why they filth- filth fowl-fowl'd it all up?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Sporting my first new putor.
Needed the capacity, and the speed is a super benefit.
Jury still out about "7". Too soon to tell.

But I am purdy darned sure about this e-mail! Purdy sure it sucks!

"Outlook 2010" has more gimmicky crap than a 5 axis CAM program! Hows come would someone go to all the trouble and take something as bloody well simple as e-mail, and make it the most complex BS known to bytes? Even after I have "shelved" as much as I have figgered out to, the screen left to view mail (remember mail?) is only 2/3 what it would have been on something old skewl mail. :willy_nilly:

We have not fingered out eny way to import the address book from XP to this here.

I believe that Mamma mentioned that the putor joint mentioned something about loading "9" onto it and being able to move all saved mails and address book and such. Would hafta dbl check on that tho.

Has enyone done this? How is "9"?

My "old" putor is to go into the house for my daughter to use for her senior yr yet, as the one that she was using died some time ago. However I doo have a Winders 98 unit that I use everyday as well, and I could use the mail on that one instead. Only thing is that I was really looking fwd to having XP to doo mail as that one has the return request (?) feature, and I use the '98 unit to make and send quotes, and it seems that sometimes they end up out in some black hole somewhere. (Prolly all compacted into a zip file? ;) )

A) Does enyone like "2010"?
B) Has it "grown" on you? (I Shirley don't see this happening)
C) Has enyone switched to "OE9" on "7"?
C1) Is OE9 essentially the same as the old "6" (and older) that I am used to?
D) Why don't we have a 'Putor Issues" board on this site?
Since we are all on putors of some sort - we all would be having some issues eh? Course the problem with that is that no-one will be looking there the day (week?) that you are having troubles I guess. Maybe this thread is best?
D1) At least that way - a quick search could locate many legacy issues. .... ???

E) Does enyone really have a clue why they filth- filth fowl-fowl'd it all up?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I write programs for a living (well, retirement hobby these days).

There's a lot of reasons why I have an Apple Macbook. You've just touched on a few.

As I said, I write programs. I don't want to deal with a POS operating system that gets in my way. Vista was the last straw for me. I'll never go back to using a Microsoft operating system. Linux maybe, MS never.

Most of your mail problems would be solved by ditching the default mail program and installing a free open source one. Ditto for MS Office. I just use Open Office.

PDW

I suppose the "classification" has some significance but if not then why is it used?

I think the main purpose is to single out those that would post post after post after post after post in order to "win" a pissing match of which signifigance would be only evident to himself. Congratulations on the victory Gordon. This helps explain alot.

Back