What's new
What's new

40 machines 2 operators

MBG

Hot Rolled
I was listening to a CEO talk about his machine shop and he has 120 machines in total and runs about 40 machines with 2-3 operators. AND the company does prototyping 25 being their largest run.

Is that 40 machines running steady? I don't think 2 guys programing full time could keep 40 machines busy doing low quantity work. Unless its a prototype that runs for 20hrs a piece? but then who changes parts...

it depends on how he uses the term runs. if the load time is way way low percent of cycle, I could see 2-3 guys keeping up with that many machines. In short cycle you need to get ahold of some of whatever he was on... but on parts that run 30-40 hours each, take an hour to change between jobs,,, he could be doing it. But he probably has programmers generating all the code and a pretty standard toolset.

Gordon,

I came of age in shops where all machines WERE in action at the same time. Of course, all those machines were manual, and all had an operator. AND of course, ALL them companies made profits. 2, 3, 4%, and they were happy with that.

Today, if you do not make 100% profit, you are toast.

Do as you will. Hope for the best.

George

I was listening to a CEO talk about his machine shop and he has 120 machines in total and runs about 40 machines with 2-3 operators. AND the company does prototyping 25 being their largest run.

Howzabout a little more info.......
Did you hear this in a bar? Were you or the CEO drinking when the conversation took place?
Did you hear this on the radio or on TV? Was this at a seminar about LEAN manufacturing?
I'm just wondering.

Rex

Not really enough info, yes he could have only 2 operators, but how many programmers, set up guys, bar humpers and swarf rats?

OK say he only makes 25 of a part,...... if said part, one loaded, has a cycle time of say 8 or 9 hours, that's one machine not needing any attention for a day?..... multiply that by a 10 and the 2 guys workload is drasticly reduced.

CEO's and the like can be?.... shall we say very selective, when talking to the media etc - it makes them and their co's prospects look good.

Did he mean 2-3 operators, 4 programmers, 5 setup guys, 3 inspectors, 4 debur/ packaging, 1 foreman and a janitor??? Just only mentioned the "guys that run the machines"

Howzabout a little more info.......
Did you hear this in a bar? Were you or the CEO drinking when the conversation took place?
Did you hear this on the radio or on TV? Was this at a seminar about LEAN manufacturing?
I'm just wondering.

Rex

It was on a conference call of a public heald company.

What kind of machines? MacNeil Weathertech claims that his run all night with NO operators. But that is automated injection molding. Some of his EDM and machines centers probably run lights out too. It is a specialized operation, not just a machine shop.

In a production environment no problem, and 20 machines to an operator is fairly common.

A max 25 part job shop? :skep:

Then again, he said operators. How many setup men and programmers.

The saying on the "Factory of the Future" project was:
"Yep, no operators on the floor ............ but it takes 200 techs and engineers in the next room to keep it running". :D

Bob

Did you miss the part where he insinuated that he was dreaming?
What if you'd actually put a smiley at the end? :D

With some of the posts I've read I thought the posters were being sarcastic or funny but it turned out they were being serious :eek:

You don't think I have humour? :cryin::bawling:

Gordon

Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes.
Oscar Wilde

My interpretation was " There is a shop with 40 machines. Only 2 guys work there and run various & sometimes multiple machines at times?????"

JAckal:cheers:

Back