What's new
What's new

need advice about cnc maintenance services

corvuscorax4

Plastic
hello,

me and few my friends are thinking to provide cnc maintenace services. We have some experience in this area. Maybe there is somebody who could share his experience with me. What difficulties are encountered there and so on? Maybe there is specific area or something that we should concentrate on? I am looking for discussion or any advice concerning my topic. Thank you.

Are you meaning simple things like changing oil and drive belts and cleaning filters, or repairing broken machines?

I mean like full maintenance like repairing broken machines, repairing after craches, electronic problems diagnose and other

I don't know how things are in your country. Here in the US, machine tool repair is done by three kinds of people: in house maintenance staff (employees of the company who owns the machine), service technicians from the dealer who sold the machine, or independent machine tool service technicians. You would be the last one.

Do you like to travel? Do you like working alone? Do you have the tools needed to fix most machines?

I do a lot of this kind of work. I enjoy it, but it's not for everyone. I have to travel often, and sometime pretty far. The machines I work on are very old and often there are no parts and no one to help me when I have questions.

If you can convince some larger companies to give you some work, they will keep you busy if you do a good job. You will need some insurance coverage to enter most factories (at least I do here in the US).

You can make good money if you can get enough work. You will have to compete with the other guys in the list. For me, it's also very seasonal. Things are very busy in summer and quite slow in winter. Winter is the best to do major repair on machines because factories are not as busy, but they never have the money or confidence to fix their machines until they are too busy to let you work on them...

maybe you can send me your contact ( email or something) that i could write to you. I have a lot of questions :) if you have patience to help beginner with advices i would be gratefull :)

I can do that, but it would be better if you post the questions here so that everyone can learn something. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will come along soon as well.

yes you are right it will be better to discuss here.
What equipment do i need to have if i want to offer high quality services?
Maybe there are works which you are facing often or every order or work is individual?
Do you work alone or with team?
You said that machines that you work on are very old where are you looking for information about them do you contact manufacturers or have other way?
One more question that i am interesting is about time. I think every customer wants that problems with theirs machines would be fixed as soon as possible. But sometimes it takes to me one week to diagnose problem and few hours to fix it. How do you manage your time? Dont you have problems when sometimes you have to search for information or something else?

The equipment depends on the work you want to do. Obviously, you will need a set of hand tools (wrenches, hammers, punches, sockets, etc). You also need the basic tools of a machinist (calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, etc).

Then you have specialty tools. If you want to repair motor drives and electrical components, you might need an oscilloscope, megger, and desoldering equipment. If you want to rebuild spindles, you might need an induction bearing heater, vibration monitoring equipment, etc. If you want to do scraping or turcite repairs, you will need a host of equipment for scraping and checking.

If you want to work on really large machines, you will need really large tools. This kind of work is also typically billed at a higher hourly rate. Not many people have the tools to take apart a 15m planer mill or a 2000 ton stamping press.

I almost always work alone. Sometimes the company will give me a helper. I have some repeat customers, many are one time only.

I work on a lot of old manual grinding machines. Parts are available, but many times they have to be made, they are not in stock. There are manuals, but I can't really speak to anyone with knowledge of these machines.

Customers will always want their machine to be repaired as quickly as possible. Sometimes it takes longer than they like. There's nothing you can do about it.

There will always be a need for independent machine tool service personnel.
You'll find yourself working on a lot of machine tool "orphans" - machines that no longer have a dealer/builder support network. Same for controllers. There are still a LOT of 80s vintage CNCs out there, and even the ones that are from still going builders many times don't have support as a lot of distributors don't like servicing the "old 'uns."

I know of a company that does very well in this regard. If you're good at figuring stuff out, and pulling things apart, you'll do ok.

Back