What's new
What's new

Need Suggestions on Finding Quality Air Quick Couplers and Hoses

munruh

Hot Rolled
What do you use in your shop for the quick couplers on your air hoses? It seems I am replacing them every couple months with what my local hardware store offers. They start leaking and you have turn them a certain way, drives me crazy. Surely someone makes air quick couplers that don't leak air after a couple months. What about air hoses? I have tried my local hardware store and Lowes and again it is not quality...........Thanks!

I use Cejn couplings. Not cheap but reasonable. Push to connect and do not need to pull sleeve back to make a connection, also have full air flow. Couplings wear out real fast if you are using a tool that vibrates, like an air powered random orbit sander.

For a start, buy a brand name, like Hansen Couplers or Goodyear air hose. Brass or steel fittings are normally pretty good, but stainless steel is always an option. There are many different coupler configurations and sizes as well, so if you need to replace the whole pile, maybe it's time to dig into the catalogs to be sure that you have the right sizes and styles. The universal 1/4" industrial interchange we all use is limited enough that any air load over about 6 CFM should probably be on a larger air hose and a larger coupler size. I have several impact wrenches, and one of my wrenches will do virtually nothing unless it is on a 1/2" air hose with 3/8" connectors. Years ago, I had one wrench that needed at least a 3/4" air hose - it was a 1" drive, and I never found a bolt that it couldn't remove. Air tools are designed for 90 PSI at the tool when it's running. Make up a T fitting with a male & female connector and a gauge. Connect it right at the tool's inlet, and see how much pressure drop your hoses and couplers cause.

Nothing lasts forever - I just overhauled part of my air system, and 90% of the leaks are now gone. I found that I had some 20 year old quick connectors that were worn out, and they weren't sealing very well anymore. After replacing them, my system will now hold pressure overnight.

You used to be able to buy rebuild kits for some of the couplers, but I haven't seen any for years. Every old coupler I've opened up for failure analysis didn't have much left to rebuild anyway, so replacement becomes a better option.

Scruffy is right - a tool that vibrates needs a short hose whip that screws into the tool.

I also just installed bleeder-type air valves in my primary locations. When you disconnect an air line, the pressure blast can cause problems, but a bleeder valve releases the pressure through a fairly small orifice. The end result is a quieter disconnection, no hose whipping, and reconnection is a lot easier with a -0- pressure air line. Once connected, open the valve.

Best I've used were Parker.

Don't have the Part# handy, but they're steel and have a swivel section that purges air from the line. Its nice not having to fight the pressure to hookup a tool, and it wont come undone once its connected.

I do recall them being pricey, but worth it.

I had been using a hose that my G-pa gave me <25 yrs ago up to this last yr when it finally got a hole in it.
I think it was a Good Year, or maybe Gates. Hasn't been legible for a decade or two now...

Saw a hose at the local tooling store and thought that I would give it a try. I expected about what I pd for it.
The hose seems to work fine in temps 80*+, but about as good as a frozen garden hose below that... :rolleyes5:

I need to find a good source too.

My local tooling store carries "coilhose" brand fittings, and they seem fine to me. (That was not the brand of hose BTW)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Sorry to bring up a old thread, but was searching google, and this thread appeared.

Is there a air fitting connection that I can terminate on the outside of my garage to make it look nice. Similar to a electrical outlet for the utside of a house.

Sorry to bring up a old thread, but was searching google, and this thread appeared.

Is there a air fitting connection that I can terminate on the outside of my garage to make it look nice. Similar to a electrical outlet for the utside of a house.

Surely this question (which has almost nothing to do with the original thread) is worthy of its own thread?

Back