What's new
What's new

never managed a shop under a republican president what to expect?

alonzo83

Stainless
Last time a republican was president I was in the military. I got a cola raise every year and life was good. after that I was off getting a degree in construction science. I stayed pretty broke as expected.

The past four years I have been in a job shop doing repairs for the ag and marine industry. We have been pushing for some corps of engineer jobs in the area and got a few in but are trying to get more of the work in house. and subbing less out.

What can I expect for the next four years from government entities like osha and the corps?

Regards,
Alonzo

Expect tomorrow to be similar to yesterday.Sometimes people make too much out of such things. Any changes to come will most likely be incremental. Avoid those who say everything will now be great......as well as those who looked like idiots crying as the results came in. I do however look forward to the mass exodus from Hollywood to Canada...lol (Canada may need to consider a wall :wall:

Unless your real big...I would not expect any sort of changes for quite awhile. Even then they will be small and slowly implemented. Mostly new forms and tax changes for accounting to deal with...may have new health care again to deal with.

Overall your daily difference will be negligible. Longer term hopefully we will have more work...but that's out a long ways out before we see it trickle back in and down to us.

Seeing that you're in Missouri; you have more to worry about from our Republican down-ticket. The Republican party hasn't been too good to us lately in the State, when it comes to finances and economics.

ETA: Speaking mainly about our new Governor and our US Congresscritters.

While your industry diversification appears okay (i.e. don't be "all in" on say energy), make sure that the upstream funding for your customers is diversified as well (i.e. who's paying the bill?). If your customers are doing government-funded research, that might be in jeopardy. But if it's currently all private, then gong after some government $ (which, as I recall, is the single largest customer in the US), would be wise.

Ultimately, if the new President can make good on his promises, I would expect to see a strengthening of manufacturing.

The Dude

I do however look forward to the mass exodus from Hollywood to Canada...lol (Canada may need to consider a wall :wall:

Hey! We up here in Canada have been working hard to export our nut jobs to Hollywood for years. It was a lot of work to unload Bieber, we don't have the capacity to fend off a reverse trend. :D

On the other hand, maybe I can land some of that wall building work. Our government is on a "infrastructure" kick. :scratchchin:

I sell some stuff to the prepper types. This morning my phone hasn't stopped ringing and got dozens of emails.

So far, Trump is good for my business!

So far my biggest retirement account mostly in equities is up .33%. We fully expected it to crash based on predictions of a Trump win.

As to what's in our future, don't bother asking the pollsters.

I was watching it to.....my thought was ....wow, way over-reacting. this will be back to 18k within a week. I need to see if I can move some $ from safe investments right into equities......it came back too quick though. When I pull the trigger on a change it doesnt take effect until the end of the day / begining of the next day.

To the OP.............head down and keep pushing chips outa one end of the machine and parts outa the other.

All I know is if the harpy won:vomit:, my gun customers would faxed over a pile of POs this morning. But I will take an eventual decent Supreme Court nomination over lining my own pockets.

You have to keep on keeping on. Agriculture will still suck next year, and the year after that, until a significant drought affects the midwest. There is more grain to move down Big Muddy than ever before, so tugboat/barge work should be plentiful. Corp work will depend on infrastructure spending.

I wouldn't look for any relief from existing regulations from any agency, but hopefully there won't be as many new regulations coming at us.

All in all, the president is just a figurehead. The federal spending is actually the tail that wags the dog.

To the OP.............head down and keep pushing chips outa one end of the machine and parts outa the other.

All I know is if the harpy won:vomit:, my gun customers would faxed over a pile of POs this morning. But I will take an eventual decent Supreme Court nomination over lining my own pockets.

This ^^^^^^ is probably the biggest factor of this election.
Had "she" won, her, and her appointed Supreme Court, would have eventually legislated the 2nd bye-bye. :hitsthefan:

What got elected is probably more of an independent, but don't expect much change.
It's the legislative branch that does domestic policy not the executive.
And there really wasn't any change in the house or senate.
That is always baffling people want change yet they reelect the same bunch of clowns that didn't
do anything in the last term.
The definition of insanity

Hey! We up here in Canada have been working hard to export our nut jobs to Hollywood for years. It was a lot of work to unload Bieber, we don't have the capacity to fend off a reverse trend. :D

On the other hand, maybe I can land some of that wall building work. Our government is on a "infrastructure" kick. :scratchchin:

Yeah, and I remember seeing a billboard during the winter Olympics advertising the hockey game between the U.S. and Canada, with the loser having to claim Bieber. Why do we still have him? ;-)

Back