What's new
What's new

New scam for shop owners...via text/email?

jamscal

Stainless
I got a text the other day asking if I did tractor repair and if I took credit cards for payment.

Replied no, didn't hear back, didn't think much about it.

Got another similar text yesterday asking if I did in shop welding and if I took credit cards. I asked what he needed.

Got a weird reply with a pic of some pipe...said he wanted them welded together and could only communicate via text because of his lung cancer....

Told him 'I can't do it' and didn't hear back.

Not sure how it would work but it seems a variation on the common scams.

Email text:

Hello,

Good day my name is Henry through my search on internet i came across your contact as one of the rated Metal Fabricator/welding service in the city and i will be in need of your service.Yeah i have some supply to meet up with my clients and i will need a welding service,so let me know if you can offer the welding and and in shop service and if you do accept credit card for payment.i will be glad if the owner contact me personally on the service and i will be glad if he/she reply back with cell phone number.Hope to hear from you soon

Anytime you get an email like this and they ask about the credit card payment just delete it. Google email scams, there's a bunch of them. BTW, the CC is stolen.

Are you advertising on Craigslist? I will not use it to sell anything anymore as it has full-time scammers looking for there next potential victims.

I've been getting tons of "Here's your Invoice" and "Here's the receipt for your payment" emails lately. I assume they are carrying viruses or spyware, or ransomware. Still getting lots of "confirm your account details" and "Your account is temporarily blocked" phishing as well. Never one like the OP though.

Deleted two scammers this morning without opening them, a daily occurrence.

Although foreign inquiries are common for us, and their English may sometimes be a bit fractured, they tend to be technically sophisticated enough that their subject line is always specific and relevant, never vague. I'm sure every email user in the world pretty much knows this.

I was getting a few emails from Jeff Bezos, he sure uses a lot of different web host, one from AT&T, Comcast, and some others I can't remember.

I've been getting tons of "Here's your Invoice" and "Here's the receipt for your payment" emails lately. I assume they are carrying viruses or spyware, or ransomware. Still getting lots of "confirm your account details" and "Your account is temporarily blocked" phishing as well. Never one like the OP though.

sometimes they figure out company email addresses to names and they send email to company secretary from head of company asking them to send payment for an item the company purchased. all a scam as email is not from the head of the company
also internet cafe and using wifi internet sometimes email name password recorded. then they get on your email account and send everybody in your address list in your name asking for help. for example saying you traveled to England and having problem at hotel and you credit card temporarily locked and you need to money to pay the hotel and you will pay it back. basically acting like a friend who needs help please wire some money. i got one from a guy with a PHD degree. no way he would be confused at a hotel needing a wire transfer. he apologized said somebody spoofing or pretending to be him sending email in his name asking for help money transfer.
warned me dont trust emailing from internet cafe and even public wifi as often not secure and everything being recorded

God help us if scammers ever learn proper English syntax - we'd be screwed...

As I understand it the poor grammar is intentional; they don't want to waste their time talking with people too smart to get taken in. Those who respond to the message with poor grammar are far more likely to get taken all the way.

I keep getting calls for business lines of credit, all from different phone numbers and names, but the message is exactly the same. A lot of them come from spoofed phone numbers as when I have Googled the numbers they show up as the number of a completely unrelated business. I make use of caller I.D. and will not answer an unrecognized number.

Back