What's new
What's new

Newspaper girl trying to sell me ad space

Parkerbender

Stainless
Have you ever heard of a job shop advertising in the newspaper (or anywhere other than an industry rag)? I have an ad girl who can't understand why I would not advertise my job shop to lawyers and bankers, and walmart employees and whoever else gets the paper. I am frustrated. Am I being stupid? I am a little slow, but I cant imagine a newspaper ad getting anything except for 47,000 of the 'I have a great invention, prototype it and I will give you equity' people...

Have you ever heard of a job shop advertising in the newspaper (or anywhere other than an industry rag)? I have an ad girl who can't understand why I would not advertise my job shop to lawyers and bankers, and walmart employees and whoever else gets the paper. I am frustrated. Am I being stupid? I am a little slow, but I cant imagine a newspaper ad getting anything except for 47,000 of the 'I have a great invention, prototype it and I will give you equity' people...

Not sure why you're frustrated...the answer is no and don't call back.

If you need work a properly done craigslist ad (free) will bring 100 the work as a newspaper ad.

I don't use CL anymore but would if I needed to.

Also probably better options like direct mail and cold calls...

I would never use a newspaper.

Selling ad space must be a frustrating job, because you can never quantify the results. The salesmen are trained to parry every objection with a counterpoint to overcome your resistance so there's no point in arguing logically with one. Like Betty Ford said, Just Say No.

If she's nice looking, tell her you like pizza and doughnuts and you'll think about it.
Ask her to bring sample campaigns that businesses like yours ran in her paper that
were successful and that still advertise in it.....and you'll think about it.....
If she's ugly or you're busy, just tell her to get the hell out.....
David

If she's nice looking, tell her you like pizza and doughnuts and you'll think about it.
Ask her to bring sample campaigns that businesses like yours ran in her paper that
were successful and that still advertise in it.....and you'll think about it.....
If she's ugly or you're busy, just tell her to get the hell out.....
David

The EXACT same thing I was thinking

Mud is right, there is no way to evaluate the advertisements power.

Unless your ad contains a coupon.

So you might be able to get the newspaper to charge based
on "number of coupons brought in to my shop".

Which then beg's the question:
"Is your current (and future target) clientele really
going to be cutting out and bringing in a coupon to your
business ?"

That's the problem, she is smoking hot. I think I hopefully solved it, we just had lunch to discuss what an ad campaign would look like, I said no. But, I got a date for next week. ;-)

We went through the whole paper and the closest thing you could find an ad for was John Deere. Haha

The day I take walk-in regular Joe civilian work again is the day I quit this.

Uncle has a Specialty Food Store, he can significantly measure the up sales from placing an Ad in the papers, on Bus bill boards so it does work. Yes coupons are direct feedback.

That said, the last thing I want is the general public stopping in to have their faucets and snowblowers fixed. I removed our ad from Yellow pages years ago just for that reason.

I usually tell companies when they call I am not interested...if they get pushy and I feel like talking, I'll ask them if they will run ad and I'll give them a commission on sales made. Kinda like when Capital companies call telling me I'm Pre-approved for money, how much do I want? Well I want all the money I am approved for...I don't have to pay it back though...right? Oh no, this is at such and such rate...nah, don't want it then.

A Date...see newspapers are good for something other then cage liners and box stuffers.

About 30 years ago a local radio station made me a pitch over the phone for an ad, delivered by the DJ himself in heavy-metal DJ style. Somehow it didn't seem like the right audience for getting splines cut or whatever. Maybe the country station would've done it more effectively, perhaps with a mouthful of chew--but I never got to hear that version.

Speaking of overpriced ad space, does anybody remember the Yellow Pages? Did that finally die off?

A Date...see newspapers are good for something other then cage liners and box stuffers.

Depends. It might turn out to be highly transactional. He might not be the only one with an eye on the prize. Dude, DO NOT SIGN prior to consummation.

The best advertising is word of mouth.

Read "Yankee Storekeeper by John Gould", it does pay to advertise.

Support your local community, it pays back in ways you cannot fathom.

Speaking of overpriced ad space, does anybody remember the Yellow Pages? Did that finally die off?

I thought of YP too, after mentioning relentless sales pressure and inability to quantify results. I still get one locally, haven't heard a thing about advertising. You'd think there would be a good replacement for a local YP on the 'net, but i haven't found it.

The transaction is backwards. Rather then her selling you space in a dying medium, you should be selling her space in your newly forming up and coming household - from which she can seek and hold a job in some industry with better survival prospects than making buggy whips.

Newspapers are getting desperate so I can't blame them for trying.

At my favorite grocery store our only remaining daily paper usually has a booth near the entrance trying to attract new subscribers with offers of gifts.
Newspapers are almost dead, partly their own fault.. Last summer, a few of us had a yard sale.. Called to run an ad in the local paper. Simple little classified yard sale ad was 85 dollars! No thanks.... I still pay to get the online version of our local paper, mainly to see the local headlines and obituaries.. the rest is garbage.

Not sure if the YP still exist. But last I checked
1. Getting pretty thin
2. Still had an ad for a place I worked at. It had been closed for 7 years and the owner had passed on at that point. So they must be running ads for free just to keep the pages full. As I am certain dead men pay no bills.

The best advertising is word of mouth.

My brother spent his entire career with no listing in the yellow pages and no sign on his truck. All word of mouth.

My dad may have been listed in the yellow and white pages but had no ad. He said he was only listed in the phone book at all because it was required by law.

Dad said that you should never go to a doctor that advertises. It showed that the doctor didn't have enough business by word of mouth.

Steve

Newspapers are almost dead, partly their own fault.. Last summer, a few of us had a yard sale.. Called to run an ad in the local paper. Simple little classified yard sale ad was 85 dollars! No thanks.... I still pay to get the online version of our local paper, mainly to see the local headlines and obituaries.. the rest is garbage.

I scan several local papers, been doing it for years and pay nothing.
If the box pops up thanking you for your free trial access, and wanting you to sign up with
the online subscription, go into your Firefox settings and
clear history and cookies. Close and re-open Firefox.
Bam...you now again have free access.

And yes, I enjoy not giving those thieving bastards a dime.

Back