What's new
What's new

Opening a New Company in Austin TX - Help!

KingSize

Plastic
Good Day all,

My company is planning to open a new branch in Austin TX and wants me to run it. This will be my first role as a GM :willy_nilly:. Kind of a big thing for me... So, I'm trying to get ahead of things and do some work upfront to be up to the responsibility given to me.

Does someone here have experience with such stuff? Or somebody that might help? What would be the first steps to take? I know we will need legal support and someone to introduce us to the market and potential clients.

Cheers

KS

1st post...............United Arab Emirates.....................:skep:..............my spidey senses are tingling.............

As a GM you are going to either need to hire someone who knows OSHA, labor laws and environmental issues or do some quick reading up if your company has over a certain amount of people....for instance, a few years ago I (the company) got popped when OSHA made a surprise visit and saw a die grinder with an hotwheel unshielded on it....$2000 just for that...no miss type $2000 bucks.

As a GM you are going to either need to hire someone who knows OSHA, labor laws and environmental issues or do some quick reading up if your company has over a certain amount of people....for instance, a few years ago I (the company) got popped when OSHA made a surprise visit and saw a die grinder with an hotwheel unshielded on it....$2000 just for that...no miss type $2000 bucks.

Thanks, do you know someone? Have some experience?

Choosing people is very important..study up or have someone who can choose non trouble workers..
Set and explain the rules. labor laws and Company Rules should be easy to understand.Summary of the Major Laws of the Department of Labor | United States Department of Labor
Agree OSHA rules are important..I took all the training sessions and often see problems in many shops..I'm now retired.
One common rule error is the OSHA book says Remove The Key...Many if not most shops leave the key in place for hi lows/ Forklift and other trucks..Even places like Lowe's often make this error..I know a fellow who still does that even after I told him the rule.. perhaps a $500 fine (or more $2000?.) Remove the key and hang in an out-of-sight place on/in the truck is OK.
You can find the OSHA books on line..
Grinders are to have RPM marked in view..
Free Online OSHA Training Tutorials

knew a fellow who had an old guy caretaker to watch the truck yard..One day this guy (caretaker)decided to take a truck to go to the beer store..He ran over a person.( I can't remember if hurt or killed). The owner got busted because the caretaker was a drinker and all the truck keys were not in a lock box..fine was over $300K..Yes i'm not sure if it an OSHA fine or law suite)
I like to post a sign "Special training require for use if this machine" on machines in a shop that has mostly non machine operators and few machines. Two hand safety is an important thing to consider and teach. Newer style machine guards are not often found on older machines so should be considered.

Oh..and "Steel on steel is like skates on ice.. Be sure anyone driving a forklift knows that..Perhaps write it on the truck.

Good Day all,

My company is planning to open a new branch in Austin TX and wants me to run it. This will be my first role as a GM :willy_nilly:. Kind of a big thing for me... So, I'm trying to get ahead of things and do some work upfront to be up to the responsibility given to me.

Does someone here have experience with such stuff? Or somebody that might help? What would be the first steps to take? I know we will need legal support and someone to introduce us to the market and potential clients.

Cheers

KS

Your company must have thought you could do the job considering you were offered. Haven't they offered to help you get started and if so, how?

The first thing I'd do is to hire a few reliable people to help and give advice as there will almost certainly be more than you can handle alone.

Do you even know much about US law in a workplace? I'm assuming you are a US citizen?

To start with, find a good staffing service. Austin is one of the "happening" cities in Texas. Everyone wants to live there, tight job and housing market. Be prepared to pay a premium for help. Very strange place to locate a business such as you are describing. Can you explain that choice of locations? There is more high tech stuff going on there than heavy industry.

To start with, find a good staffing service. Austin is one of the "happening" cities in Texas. Everyone wants to live there, tight job and housing market. Be prepared to pay a premium for help. Very strange place to locate a business such as you are describing. Can you explain that choice of locations? There is more high tech stuff going on there than heavy industry.

Good question, my boss selected it because it's currently rated as the number 1 city in the USA. Also, he lived there before. I guess he's biased that way.

Your company must have thought you could do the job considering you were offered. Haven't they offered to help you get started and if so, how?

The first thing I'd do is to hire a few reliable people to help and give advice as there will almost certainly be more than you can handle alone.

Do you even know much about US law in a workplace? I'm assuming you are a US citizen?

Started reading about US law in a workplace for preparation and I´m not a US citizen.

Back