What's new
What's new

Options for different phone number for offshoot business?

JasonE

Plastic
Have a couple things going that I really don't want associated with our core business. I kind of find it tacky when there are like 5 businesses ran off the same phone.

However, it does not sound exciting to buy another phone for each little offshoot. We do not have a land line and probably never will. Just not that many calls as we drive things via internet or other digital means.

Is there a way to get different google numbers or something to run to my cell?

You sorta need to know what number is ringing to know how to answer the phone, too.

There are dual-sim cell phones out there, too.
Back in land-line days, there was the ever-popular 'distinctive ring' line that would come in on the same pair of copper, but rang in a different pattern so you could tell which line was being called. Don't know if that is available on cell lines or not...

Chip

I remember people using that for the fax machine. If you get the weird ring, don't answer and let the fax pick it up.

I bought a TracPhone for my internet sales, 1 year plan with 400 minutes and the phone cost $200 total. I only use it to screen potential customers and if they sound serious I then call back from the home phone(land line). It's worked out so far and a bonus is I don't have another cell phone so if I break down or something it's there if I need it also.
Dan

PS I just thought of something else, it took some nice videos at the NHRA Midwest National event Sunday. I had my digital camera with me but found the phone was easier to work with?

Google voice is free, Asterisk/Freepbx is free. Pretty easy to set up and then you can do what ever you want with it. You could make every 10th call ring to The Pope, if you felt so inclined.

I have my cell phone set up as an extension and part of a ring group so i pretty much never miss a call. and if i do miss one i immediately get a local voicemail, voicemail emailed to me, and the details of the call and transcription (if possible) emailed a well. I can also call outbound from my cell and have the office number show on the recipients caller id.

Specifically to your multiple numbers, yes it is dead simple to use Google voice numbers as trunks and inbound outbound routes. You would use the same phone/phones for the lines, but rules set on the PBX would dictate what rings where and caller id would should the call is comming in on the "Company A" trunk, so you can say "Thank you for calling Company A".

You could also set time conditions so after 5PM calls go directly to voicemail or some other destination of your choosing.

Pretty much limitless on customization

Its an excellent system. Zero complaints.

i read up on that as I already use it for voice to text messages. Seems Verizon wants to charge for that BS.

Seems if we call out on that phone, it would show the carrier phone number, not the google voice number? We want a pretty fool proof solution. Don't mind paying a bit, but fail to see any need to carry and own multiple devices. Already have unlimited calling with the current phone, just need a different number. Imagine I own a plumbing business and engineering business, I don't want to have to answer the phone "shitty engineering, how may we help you".

i read up on that as I already use it for voice to text messages. Seems Verizon wants to charge for that BS.

Seems if we call out on that phone, it would show the carrier phone number, not the google voice number? We want a pretty fool proof solution. Don't mind paying a bit, but fail to see any need to carry and own multiple devices. Already have unlimited calling with the current phone, just need a different number. Imagine I own a plumbing business and engineering business, I don't want to have to answer the phone "shitty engineering, how may we help you".

My thoughts exactly.

Happy to help out. send me an email to [email protected].

A properly set up Asterisk system is nothing short of a miracle, and Verizon wont be able to charge you a dime.

I don't know much about the other options but I'm pretty sure Ooma (VOIP) has options for multiple phone numbers. Has lots of features (more than I need). I use it primarily to make international calls. Good voice quality for a VOIP system.

The Dude

Been using google voice as our business number for 8 years, since beta. Most calls go to voice mail, & a moment later it sends an email with the audio as an attachment, and a speech-to-text transcript that while never perfect is good enough I rarely bother listening to the messages. It works, and I don't have to think about it.

With google phone numbers, how do you know what number the user called. For instance, I have Google phone forwarded to my cell, but when it rings I have no way of knowing whether they are calling me direct or routed through Google (it does show their number on my phone which is helpful). It would be helpful to know if it is a routed call to know what hat to put on or how to anticipate their question.

I use Google Voice for one business, which is great, but limited in some ways.

Recently I started using GoDaddy for a couple of things and found out they have a service called SmartLine, similar to Google Voice (text messaging, call forwarding, auto voicemail transcription, etc.) but seems to be a little more featured/optioned for businesses that might have more than one person or department. It's like 4 bucks a month, but they have 30% off coupons pretty much every month. I'm very happy with it so far - I prefer it over Google Voice.

So at this point, there are 4 phone numbers that make my cell phone ring, or that you can text which come through to my phone. I can also redirect any of those to other phones (which I do at times) besides my actually cell phone number, which very few people have. I also have different auto-attendants for each of the business lines. I went on Fiverr (or another 'gig' site) and hired people to record the message you get if you call and I don't answer. Well worth the couple of bucks a piece I paid for them.

With google phone numbers, how do you know what number the user called. For instance, I have Google phone forwarded to my cell, but when it rings I have no way of knowing whether they are calling me direct or routed through Google (it does show their number on my phone which is helpful). It would be helpful to know if it is a routed call to know what hat to put on or how to anticipate their question.

I dont thing you can do it directly through GV, but if you utilize a PBX you can tag the lines/trunk and prepend whatever you like to the caller id. So if i called Company A via the google voice number, it would hit the PBX, the PBX would prepend "From Company A GV" to the caller id and send it to the extension. Whether that be a physical extension, cell phone, voicemail box, or anywhere else. So rather than connect your cell directly to GV, you use the PBX as middle man to handle flow control and routing.

I use Twilio. You can set up multiple numbers. All the numbers forward to a single cell phone. When the cell phone rings, it displays the name of the off-shoot.

Back