What's new
What's new

OT Getting back into the shop after a STROKE - anyone else?

Techguy

Hot Rolled
I am going to keep this short because my typing still sucks.

Fist off I am 49 so kinda young for this.

Two weeks ago I had 4 small strokes over 4 days. I got out of rehab 3 days ago. At the time of the strokes I had zero movement on my left side. I have had a speedy recovery. Today I have about 80% use of my left hand and 70% use of my left leg. No measurable intellectual or memory loss thank God.

The real problem I am having is post stroke fatigue. I am having a terrible time getting through work or solving problems. I work alone so I have to do everything.

Has anyone else been through this? How did you get through the fatigue both mental and physical?

Thanks,
Dan

Though I have not myself. I work with someone who did a few years ago due to a hole in his hart, from my understanding. It was before I worked here but he is the head of our production department and has a very involved job. He often talks about it and likes to talk about it so people are informed. From what I know it was very difficult and took months for him to re learn to do simple daily tasks such as putting socks shoes etc on. But he works and is very productive at his job a few years after.

If you would like I could pass along his info and you could talk with him. We are also located in MN. Right in Blaine.

Though I have not myself. I work with someone who did a few years ago due to a hole in his hart, from my understanding. It was before I worked here but he is the head of our production department and has a very involved job. He often talks about it and likes to talk about it so people are informed. From what I know it was very difficult and took months for him to re learn to do simple daily tasks such as putting socks shoes etc on. But he works and is very productive at his job a few years after.

If you would like I could pass along his info and you could talk with him. We are also located in MN. Right in Blaine.

Sound like his was a lot worse than mine. I am very lucky compared to most people who have dad strokes. They still suck though and scare the shit out of you.

Yes they sure do. I have had a few members of my family affected by them. One of which I am very close to and she has had two massive strokes. Can not walk talk and basically has to eat what a three year old can due to choking hazards. I feel bad because you know she is still in there but can not speak her own thoughts or feelings.

Hang in there man. From what I know its very frustrating but a lot of people come back from it to be fully functioning.

Dan,

My wife had a stroke just over two years ago. Her left side was affected as well. She also lost some cognition and spent almost two months in rehab after 8 days in ICU.
She still fights with fatigue, especially when it comes to problem solving. I know that doesn't sound promising but it has improved by leaps and bounds over the last year.
Brain injuries require a lot of energy to heal and the healing is a slow process so give yourself time. There are some really good cognitive training apps out there that can help. I am
drawing a blank on her favorite but will PM you when I remember it.

David

I recommend physical therapy. I have had it help me in my life, and the therapists know an awful lot about it, since it is their full time job. I met a guy who refused it when it was offered, and he is a wreck for not doing it.

Best wishes to you and I hope you get well soon --- Allen

Techguy,

I have not had a stroke, but am 75 and recovering from a smashed foot. I found that before the injury if I took a 15 - 30 minute nap after lunch I could go on much longer than without. I would have almost as much energy as first thing in the morning.

The first few weeks after the accident I was sleeping or resting 14 - 18 hours a day. As the foot healed I'm almost as strong as before.

As you recover you should become stronger, but it will take a while. Trying to push past your limits may make recovery slower and you might get hurt yourself working.

You might want to note on a calendar each day how long before you feel tired. If the trend keeps getting better you will feel encouraged.

Hang in there.

Paul

I am going to keep this short because my typing still sucks.

Fist off I am 49 so kinda young for this.

Two weeks ago I had 4 small strokes over 4 days. I got out of rehab 3 days ago. At the time of the strokes I had zero movement on my left side. I have had a speedy recovery. Today I have about 80% use of my left hand and 70% use of my left leg. No measurable intellectual or memory loss thank God.

The real problem I am having is post stroke fatigue. I am having a terrible time getting through work or solving problems. I work alone so I have to do everything.

Has anyone else been through this? How did you get through the fatigue both mental and physical?

Thanks,
Dan

Been there, done that. Got the scars to prove it. Literally.
I was 46 when mine hit. Just one. That was enough. Caused by a PFO, as in Patent Foramin Ovali. All babies are born with a hole between the atrial chambers of their heart. It is usually healed closed soon after birth. But usually doesn't mean always. I went that far never even knowing i had it. Walked into the shop one day, and wham, whole right side shut down. I had quit drinking years before that, but I remember being what I'd call half drunk before that. But never just half, as in one side of me.
The hole had allowed a tiny clot to pass from atrial chamber to atrial chamber, straight on to the back of my brain. Tiny clots are usually filtered out in the liver and such, but with the PFO, I had a built in bypass for any filtering.
So, they hauled me to Scott and White hospital, for 8 days. Longest I had ever been in the hospital in my life. Took them a couple days to determine for sure what caused the stroke. Then we figured out that the way to fix it all, and keep it from happening again, was gonna involve open heart surgery. They do it with a catheterized device these days, but that was still experimental then. Couldn't put me on the heart lung bypass to open up my heart till the stroke site healed. That took about six weeks or so. I was on rat poison(coomaden) till that healed. There was more to that part than I'll get into now, but I went into the hospital in early Feb to do the surgery. 3 days later, I walked out. Big scar up my chest, went home for 6 weeks to let that heal. Then they turned me loose, with restrictions, to go back to work. Told me not to pick up anything over 15 pounds. I didn't tell them that the big Cat 50 mill I always ran didn't have a tool one that weighed less tan 15lbs, but I got it done, by being careful.
I was lucky. My stroke didn't leave me with any deficits. Balance wasn't quite what it used to be, but it got some better as the years have passed. That was 13+ years ago. The lack of most stroke related deficits helped a lot, plus the fact that I was out for 6 weeks recovering from the surgery is gonna be a big difference in your case and mine. I really didn't notice too much fatigue at the time. I had lost some conditioning, but it came back pretty quick.
It is likely that the decision making deficit you are experiencing is a stroke related deficit. Part of the brain that got starved for oxygen may have been the part that helps with that process. Your brain will try to find alternate paths, different synapses, to use to accomplish the job. Most of this happens in the first two weeks after the stroke. But it can be worked on and improved on later on, to a degree. The fatigue may be in the same category. Only time and your situation will tell. Keep working, try not to get frustrated, and good luck. The harder you can work on the deficits, the more progress you will make. No one can say exactly what you should or shouldn't be able to accomplish, except that the harder you work, the more progress you will make on YOUR problems. The limits have more to do with you and how you approach them than anything else. Biggest tools you have are perceverance and time. Lots of time.

Been there, done that. Got the scars to prove it. Literally.
I was 46 when mine hit. Just one. That was enough. Caused by a PFO, as in Patent Foramin Ovali. All babies are born with a hole between the atrial chambers of their heart. It is usually healed closed soon after birth. But usually doesn't mean always. I went that far never even knowing i had it. Walked into the shop one day, and wham, whole right side shut down. I had quit drinking years before that, but I remember being what I'd call half drunk before that. But never just half, as in one side of me.
The hole had allowed a tiny clot to pass from atrial chamber to atrial chamber, straight on to the back of my brain. Tiny clots are usually filtered out in the liver and such, but with the PFO, I had a built in bypass for any filtering.
So, they hauled me to Scott and White hospital, for 8 days. Longest I had ever been in the hospital in my life. Took them a couple days to determine for sure what caused the stroke. Then we figured out that the way to fix it all, and keep it from happening again, was gonna involve open heart surgery. They do it with a catheterized device these days, but that was still experimental then. Couldn't put me on the heart lung bypass to open up my heart till the stroke site healed. That took about six weeks or so. I was on rat poison(coomaden) till that healed. There was more to that part than I'll get into now, but I went into the hospital in early Feb to do the surgery. 3 days later, I walked out. Big scar up my chest, went home for 6 weeks to let that heal. Then they turned me loose, with restrictions, to go back to work. Told me not to pick up anything over 15 pounds. I didn't tell them that the big Cat 50 mill I always ran didn't have a tool one that weighed less tan 15lbs, but I got it done, by being careful.
I was lucky. My stroke didn't leave me with any deficits. Balance wasn't quite what it used to be, but it got some better as the years have passed. That was 13+ years ago. The lack of most stroke related deficits helped a lot, plus the fact that I was out for 6 weeks recovering from the surgery is gonna be a big difference in your case and mine. I really didn't notice too much fatigue at the time. I had lost some conditioning, but it came back pretty quick.
It is likely that the decision making deficit you are experiencing is a stroke related deficit. Part of the brain that got starved for oxygen may have been the part that helps with that process. Your brain will try to find alternate paths, different synapses, to use to accomplish the job. Most of this happens in the first two weeks after the stroke. But it can be worked on and improved on later on, to a degree. The fatigue may be in the same category. Only time and your situation will tell. Keep working, try not to get frustrated, and good luck. The harder you can work on the deficits, the more progress you will make. No one can say exactly what you should or shouldn't be able to accomplish, except that the harder you work, the more progress you will make on YOUR problems. The limits have more to do with you and how you approach them than anything else. Biggest tools you have are perceverance and time. Lots of time.

Thanks for sharing your experience and words of encouragement. Today is my first day running 2 machines in production at once. The mill and lathe are only 50 feet apart but I never imagined how tired I could get doing 50 laps. I have some programming to do today but I am just too fatigued to think today. I will sure be happy when the fog lifts. I have to try to get something done between Dr. visits and therapies too, God knows there are a ton of those now.

My son was in the last couple of days so I got to take it easy. I will take all the help I can get right now.

My advice to everyone is don't have a stroke, they suck. I got by easy but it certainly could have been worse.

I am glad you lived through it and sorry to see you are having to fight back. I have not had a stroke yet one friend I know has had one a while back. Getting around for him is harder as he has learned and uses a cane. He has had issues with his thinking and decision making not being as sharp and has been tired and worn out.

He progressed and found he would have good days and bad and now overall he is doing much better though will never be physically like he was before. His mind has recovered yet he must take care of himself and not over do things. This is a big change for someone who has previously been doing good until something like this comes along. We do our best. I wish you good progress and I think it will come for you.

Get help if you can it may be very helpful to you now.

2 years later, time to follow up.

So now it has been 2 years since the stroke and I thought I would update things. I am writing this in hopes of offering encouragement for others in a similar situation.

When it happened I was dreaming that I couldn't roll over in bed. I woke up and still couldn't move my arm and after a few minutes tried to move my leg. Nothing worked. I woke up my wife and thought I said " I am having a stroke, call the ambulance." but apparently said a bunch of complete garble and she realized I was having a stroke. They got me to the hospital and quickly gave me the clot buster drug and it worked. The next day I was doing really well. The problem was that I had another stroke each of the next three nights each doing much more damage. On the fifth night I was so terrified I stayed up almost all night but that was the end of them. I am damn lucky.

In the last 2 years I have made about a 98% recovery and I thank God for that. It has been very difficult though as a one man shop not having someone else to help when things were challenging. I just laughed a lot at myself when things just didn't work right. My leg would just fold sometimes and I would fall, I had to just laugh it off and get back up.

The first six months saw a lot of mental fog and lost memories. There were jobs I had run that I could not recall even after looking at the prints and programs I had written. Those memories were just gone. Remembering time lines or how long ago something happened were just gone for the first year. I couldn't tell you if something happened yesterday or last year. My Mastercam skills seemed to have pretty much vanished as I couldn't remember any of the commands or where to find them. I just went back to writing everything in Mazatrol.

I can now say intellectually I think I am 99% recovered. That is hard to evaluate when you are the one guessing though. I might be dumb as a stump for all I know.

My wife says that my personality has changed dramatically and I am much more reserved and withdrawn. I have no reason to doubt her. She says that my moods only go from flat to severely depressed. I believe that as almost nothing seems to bring excitement or joy. But hey, I have a 1cm dead spot in the brain so I have to expect some changes. Overall though I am blessed. My change in personality has really hurt the business as I became socially withdrawn and uncomfortable talking to customers and perspective customers for a long time. This has only recently improved.

I still have problems with my left leg dragging or weak when I have been on my feet all day but my gait has become pretty normal. That took a good year to walk normally.

Unfortunately I let the stroke define who I was and what I could do for a long time. I would avoid all unnecessary physical activity as my gate made it really hard to go for a walk or use a treadmill or elliptical trainer. I have gotten horribly out of shape and am just starting to change that. Don't let a physical problem define you it can leave lasting problems and slow your recovery.

Oddly I need a good ten hours of sleep a night since then but the Dr. says that can take a few years to get better. I sure hope it does because I spend way too much time sleeping.

Recently I have been buried in work and am back working 60 hour weeks for the last month and it is exhausting but rewarding. My problem solving skills have returned 100% but I am always really tired. That is probably from the laundry list of meds I am on these days. I think it is 12 at last count.

And now for the funniest part of the whole experience..... When I was in the hospital right after the strokes I couldn't move or lift my left hand or arm at all but when I would yawn my hand would make a fist and come right up to my shoulder then drop like a rock. It was funny as hell. The funny part is that it still does this two years later. I can be laying in bed falling asleep and if I yawn my hand makes a fist and my arm curls up in the air. I have no control at all over it. My wife finds it hilarious.

So anyway, two years later I am here to say there can be life after a stroke and it doesn't have to mean the death of a business (just a lot of financial strain).

My wife says I am the luckiest man alive with a dead spot in his brain.

Life is good but I always wonder when it might happen again.

Dan

So now it has been 2 years since the stroke and I thought I would update things. I am writing this in hopes of offering encouragement for others in a similar situation.

When it happened I was dreaming that I couldn't roll over in bed. I woke up and still couldn't move my arm and after a few minutes tried to move my leg. Nothing worked. I woke up my wife and thought I said " I am having a stroke, call the ambulance." but apparently said a bunch of complete garble and she realized I was having a stroke. They got me to the hospital and quickly gave me the clot buster drug and it worked. The next day I was doing really well. The problem was that I had another stroke each of the next three nights each doing much more damage. On the fifth night I was so terrified I stayed up almost all night but that was the end of them. I am damn lucky.

In the last 2 years I have made about a 98% recovery and I thank God for that. It has been very difficult though as a one man shop not having someone else to help when things were challenging. I just laughed a lot at myself when things just didn't work right. My leg would just fold sometimes and I would fall, I had to just laugh it off and get back up.

The first six months saw a lot of mental fog and lost memories. There were jobs I had run that I could not recall even after looking at the prints and programs I had written. Those memories were just gone. Remembering time lines or how long ago something happened were just gone for the first year. I couldn't tell you if something happened yesterday or last year. My Mastercam skills seemed to have pretty much vanished as I couldn't remember any of the commands or where to find them. I just went back to writing everything in Mazatrol.

I can now say intellectually I think I am 99% recovered. That is hard to evaluate when you are the one guessing though. I might be dumb as a stump for all I know.

My wife says that my personality has changed dramatically and I am much more reserved and withdrawn. I have no reason to doubt her. She says that my moods only go from flat to severely depressed. I believe that as almost nothing seems to bring excitement or joy. But hey, I have a 1cm dead spot in the brain so I have to expect some changes. Overall though I am blessed. My change in personality has really hurt the business as I became socially withdrawn and uncomfortable talking to customers and perspective customers for a long time. This has only recently improved.

I still have problems with my left leg dragging or weak when I have been on my feet all day but my gait has become pretty normal. That took a good year to walk normally.

Unfortunately I let the stroke define who I was and what I could do for a long time. I would avoid all unnecessary physical activity as my gate made it really hard to go for a walk or use a treadmill or elliptical trainer. I have gotten horribly out of shape and am just starting to change that. Don't let a physical problem define you it can leave lasting problems and slow your recovery.

Oddly I need a good ten hours of sleep a night since then but the Dr. says that can take a few years to get better. I sure hope it does because I spend way too much time sleeping.

Recently I have been buried in work and am back working 60 hour weeks for the last month and it is exhausting but rewarding. My problem solving skills have returned 100% but I am always really tired. That is probably from the laundry list of meds I am on these days. I think it is 12 at last count.

And now for the funniest part of the whole experience..... When I was in the hospital right after the strokes I couldn't move or lift my left hand or arm at all but when I would yawn my hand would make a fist and come right up to my shoulder then drop like a rock. It was funny as hell. The funny part is that it still does this two years later. I can be laying in bed falling asleep and if I yawn my hand makes a fist and my arm curls up in the air. I have no control at all over it. My wife finds it hilarious.

So anyway, two years later I am here to say there can be life after a stroke and it doesn't have to mean the death of a business (just a lot of financial strain).

My wife says I am the luckiest man alive with a dead spot in his brain.

Life is good but I always wonder when it might happen again.

Dan

1 man shop....Same here, I am glad things are getting better, 12 drugs! Do you have health insurance? I have none, if anything happens to me I am done. I tried to buy insurance again in December, 14,000 deductible and 1300.00 a month is just not doable. I have swelling in my lower legs and I know I have some heart issues. Basicly I am a ticking time bomb. There was a job opening at a local plant that has insurance for employees so I applied for the job knowing it would be the end of 12 years of my business, but no problem I didn't pass their pre employment health check! Apparently they don't want their employees dropping dead on the job. So I'll just carry on and hope when it happens it is quick and complete.

Sometimes it easy to forget how quickly life can change, at any age. One of the very best machinist I know(in the real world) is in a real battle for his life now, about your age. Kinda puts back into perspective where I want to go with my shop/life... don't entirely want to die a hermit that only worked 7 days a week, there's gotta be more to life eh.

Best of luck continuing your recovery and hopefully it never happens again. I assume they checked for other possible causes for your lack of energy? the brain affects many hormones and such, sometimes it has to be compensated otherwise. Though that whole bunch of meds likely puts its serious strain on the body.

Techguy wrote: "No measurable intellectual or memory loss thank God."

No measurable intellectual loss. And yet, he's still in machining, and he came back to PM, too. :)

Had a buddy who had a stroke at about 40. While on a treadmill, exercising. At least he was trying. Had to re-learn RF electrical engineering, but fortunately the company kept him on in the process. Tough road.

Looks like you're making good progress. I know medical issues can really put your life on hold until you figure out what the path is going to be. Especially tough in a one-man show. Hang in there!

Chip

1 man shop....Same here, I am glad things are getting better, 12 drugs! Do you have health insurance? I have none, if anything happens to me I am done. I tried to buy insurance again in December, 14,000 deductible and 1300.00 a month is just not doable. I have swelling in my lower legs and I know I have some heart issues. Basicly I am a ticking time bomb. There was a job opening at a local plant that has insurance for employees so I applied for the job knowing it would be the end of 12 years of my business, but no problem I didn't pass their pre employment health check! Apparently they don't want their employees dropping dead on the job. So I'll just carry on and hope when it happens it is quick and complete.

Yes I have health insurance and it isn't cheap but neither are my health care costs. Yes 12 drugs and most list fatigue as a side effect.

I am concerned about your health though and you should be too. There are many older generic meds that treat the causes of swelling legs such as hypertension, heart failure and diabetes to name a few. I use coupons from Goodrx.com to save a ton on meds when buying without insurance. You should make a trip to your Dr. to at least find out if your conditions can be treated inexpensively. Several of my meds are less than $10/month if purchased without insurance.

Best wishes.

Back