What's new
What's new

OT: Thin skinned co-worker

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I was going to use "co-worker constantly calls me a dick" but figured Milacron would lock the thread. I've got a new hire (43 years old) that is constantly calling me a dick or an a hole. He asks my opinion on issues and then is offended by my replies. This is a nuke plant.

Him:"Do you think I would get in trouble if I brought in some mouthwash?"

Me:"I think I can speak for management and your co-worker in saying that your use of mouthwash or any personal hygiene product would be greatly appreciated."

Him:"You are such a dick."
customer

Some people don't talk shit.

If you continue talking shit to them, then you have no reason to protest being called a dick.

Is he going to HR over it? If not, then it's just fair play. Talk shit, get shit back. He just uses a different flavor.

I'm a sarcastic ass that loves talking shit to people I like. I don't 'get' people that don't understand the camaraderie there but I learned to deal with it and 'bond' with coworkers differently, or if not possible, I just fucking ignore them unless it's business related.

1st question is: Are you being a dick?

That response to the question about mouthwash wasn't just non-diplomatic, it was "in your face" confrontational.

2nd question is: Are you treating him as you wish to be treated?

3rd question is: Would you give the same answer to your boss, a traffic cop, a judge, or anyone else who might have power over you?

Unless there is more than you have told us it sounds like you feel you have to put the FNG in his place. In that case you ARE being a dick. Pecking orders are for chickens, not coworkers in the workplace.

I guess the older I get the less appealing the 'banter' gets. When I was a youngster it was so funny but at some point you start to realize you're there to do a job and you try to save the confrontations for when they're really needed.

Sometimes - most of the time in fact - people just want an answer to their question, not a spontaneous bout of social intercourse.

Fuckin ell. Good job youre not in Dublin Ireland, youd be in tears :crazy:

"Chucker, yer tink oi wud git in trouble if oi broot in sum mouthwash?"
"Naw but oi tink yer nade ter use mouthwash yer scaldy ************!"
"************ yer you feckin kont!!"

Then theyd give each other a ripe old grin and get on with their shit. :D

Fuckin ell. Good job youre not in Dublin Ireland, youd be in tears :crazy:

"Chucker, yer tink oi wud git in trouble if oi broot in sum mouthwash?"
"Naw but oi tink yer nade ter use mouthwash yer scaldy ************!"
"************ yer you feckin kont!!"

Then theyd give each other a ripe old grin and get on with their shit. :D

Makes you really look forward to coming into work every morning eh ?

If'n you'd all just have gotten along a bit better, the Irish flag would have been planted on the surface of the moon.....:toetap:

I was going to use "co-worker constantly calls me a dick" but figured Milacron would lock the thread. I've got a new hire (43 years old) that is constantly calling me a dick or an a hole. He asks my opinion on issues and then is offended by my replies.

When he asks your opinion on issues: Use words that he does not know the meaning of, say like "facetious". Find some good words too.
Look them up in a dictionary and save them later for use. He won't be calling you a dick any more, he will be too embarrassed. :o:o

1st question is: Are you being a dick?

That response to the question about mouthwash wasn't just non-diplomatic, it was "in your face" confrontational.

2nd question is: Are you treating him as you wish to be treated?

3rd question is: Would you give the same answer to your boss, a traffic cop, a judge, or anyone else who might have power over you?

Unless there is more than you have told us it sounds like you feel you have to put the FNG in his place. In that case you ARE being a dick. Pecking orders are for chickens, not coworkers in the workplace.

I know IR, and I can assure you that he is not the sort of person who disrespects anyone. He has always been a great listener and if you look back in his posts you'd find he is constantly trying to find the middle ground for situations that require understanding from both sides, such as management and engineering. He is a thoroughly competent machinist and an all around good guy who befriended me even though we have greatly different backgrounds. So, don't assume he is the problem here but just to cover my ass, if you ARE being a dick Kerry, STOP IT!:D
Ron

You say a new hire,are you his boss?
If so you should know how to handle this.
If you are diplomatic and polite to him and hes not to you - 1 warning is all he would get if it were me.
If you are equals then ask him politely to stop - one time only then do what you need to do.

Over 35 years ago I found myself working every day with a nun, a lifelong medical worker for whom I have enormous respect and would never knowingly offend. I spent the whole time in fear of making such a slip. Afterward I decided to take such terms out of my working vocabulary. The interesting thing is that I notice that others stop using cuss words in conversation with me. After a lifetime in the shops it is hard to upset me that way but I am just as happy to not listen to them.

Bill

I see two possibilities

the OP was being a dick and the associate has thin skin.

or

The associate was being a dick, and the OP has thin skin

:D :stirthepot:

When he asks your opinion on issues: Use words that he does not know the meaning of, say like "facetious". Find some good words too.
Look them up in a dictionary and save them later for use. He won't be calling you a dick any more, he will be too embarrassed. :o:o

Doesn't work. You STILL get called a dick, just more often, and 'globally'!

DAMHIKT.

I see two possibilities

the OP was being a dick and the associate has thin skin.

or

The associate was being a dick, and the OP has thin skin

:D :stirthepot:

Missed one. BOTH were being dicks with thin-skin. "Neither" does not seem to be an option..

OTOH.. would even a rhinoceros want THICK skin on their dick?

:D

...when two dicks bump...lol

Not much better at giving us cause to Just Stop That than a wise woman or three in the office with a sense of humor..

"When you two big dogs are finished pissing on fireplugs, can this little pussy.....cat get a signature on a PO so we can earn some MONEY?"

What could we say?

:)

My first thought was we'd have a hayday with this fella if that's all it took to hurt his feelings. Then was like "new hire"? Maybe he'll loosen up a bit after you know each other well enough to joke around like that? If I don't know you very well there is a limit to how I will let people talk to me. After we become friends then damn near anything you say will roll off my shoulders. Get know him better and I doubt he'll care what you say as long as you're smiling when you say it.

The tags for this thread kinda crack me up.

Brent

Back