What's new
What's new

OT-Troubles with shipping/Lost Items FedEx or UPS?

Have any of you been having troubles shipping at all recently? It seems this past week has been the worst.
I had 2 collet sets a few weeks ago that were missing, One Newall DRO UPS incoming that is missing, now a DRO going out that they tell me was never received by FedEx, but I personally dropped it off at FedEx so I know it was received.
Anyone else been having problems? Just wondering if its my bad luck, or if something is happening recently that others are seeing too.
I doubt the truck drivers have lathes at home so not sure where the stuff is going!
Its not like the labels can get ripped off, they are on there real solid.

I think it goes in streaks, I have had next to no shipping problems ( Fedex, Ups ) in the last
12 months, I ship \ receive maybe 15-20 packages a month, not a big volume. The year prior
to that was a different story, and I was using the same shippers. I think it depends on how your luck is running, hopefully mine won't go bad by joining this thread,.......Bob

I doubt the truck drivers have lathes at home so not sure where the stuff is going!

I wouldn’t thank twice about that I work with one that is a part time UPS driver.

So you are having a chain of reaction, if your putting a Biz name on the package try putting just your name and ship to yourself or to one of your customers with just your name on it, not the biz name.

I’ve always thought that if something got lost it was stolen. That is in the shipping business.

Hope I don’t get jinxed to 0_o

My Oops (ups) driver drops stuff on the step and is back in his truck by the time I walk up the stairs from my basement office. They left my nearly 2K Dro sitting out there yesterday.

I had Fedex forge my signature one time when I was home. That really pissed me off, and when I called to complain about it, somehow the online verification image of "my" signature had disappeared... The guy printed "jim" - only problem is I only sign "james."

I've gone back to mainly using the post office because they have less problems most of the time.

It's almost a shame I am honest. I could very easily "not receive" these drop and dash deliveries. The only witness they would have is a 94yr old lady across the street, and I'm sure I could bribe her easy enough.

this month only: 2nd day pkg lost (delivered to wrong address-people @ that address say never received anything), 2nd day pkg 12 days to deliver, next day pkg - 3 days to deliver and day before holiday - waiting for an incoming shipment - never came, called and driver had said our gates locked & nobody home-which wasn't so-he just wanted to skate out early. all ups.

fed-ex probs here.
Lost a box of books my wife ordered, all out of print stuff of course. 2-300 bux.

I made an ebay purchase, had it shipped to my office, seller chose fed-ex. It came on saturday, I was here, unlocked the front door, and was watching the online tracking. About 1:30 pm, it changed from "on the truck" to "recipient has moved". We've been right here for 20 years.
called up, got through to the local depot, who had the driver's boss call me. He tells me that the next door neighbor was outside and told the driver we are a business and not open on Saturday, that's why it wasn't delivered.
1. That's not what the tracking page said, it said I had moved.
2. Our next door neighbor is a crackpot and has not come out the front door since i've worked here, 10 years or so, he comes and goes out the back door.
So, the stoopidvisor tells me I gotta go meet the truck and get my (rare, no longer made) part. I agree, as I don't want it ending up in the lost stuff depot in Fort WOrth like my wife's books, and I know I am being lied to. I head downstairs, phone rings again, it's stoopidvisor, "Oh yeah, he'll be driving a Ryder truck". WTF?
OK, so I wait at the gas station in a sketchy area, almost get assaulted by a homeless guy because I won't buy his casette tapes, truck finally pulls up, the driver has a VERY poor command of the english language.
I've since learned that FEdex has turned over alot of deliveries, if not all, to contract employees, and problems are rampant.
But don't believe me, google "fedex" "problems".
UPS has been pretty good, a bit rough on the packaging, but I always get it.
One of my coworkers husband runs a "u-ship-it" joint. She tells me fedex is much worse than ups.

As of late, yes. Both out going and incoming. Always ups. I'm now requesting fed x and am having much better luck. What kills me is that I have these guys at my shop at least 3 times a week but when its the holiday season I'm treated like a meaningless account. My father always taught me no matter what I do in life, make sure to take pride in it and do the best I can. The money you make on a job will probally be gone by the end of the month but the quality of your work will always be with you. Thats enough from me.

Don't get me started... I had to drive from Atlanta to Greenville N.C. because Fed Ex driver said that she would be back in 5 minutes and never returned. 8 hours one way to deliver 2 boxes, 80 lbs each on a Saturday. UPS lost so many parts until I started insuring everything for the full value. Since then, I have not had another incident, but on a next day air, one of their aircrafts broke down causing my customer to have to drive from N.C. to Virginia for his parts.

These things seem to go in phases. Presumably because there comes a point when the thief that they have employed either gets sacked or moves on.

I had $15,000 worth of High end dialup routers go missing. When we demanded proof of delivery, the shippers faxed us a copy of the name and signature from the mailroom girl that had "signed for the package". Trouble is, That particular girl had left the company 6 months before the alleged delivery.

I had a reel of electrical cable not turn up at my house. Tracking system showed driver leaving depot, but did not show delivery. This was 350lbs of copper...

Small revenge, but I don't use either of those shippers for anything any more and told them why at the time.

Things seem to be ok with us at the moment, but are subject to change without notice

Mark Rand

Just found one of them. At the local place where I drop off, they said it was never received. I went to look, it was on a shelf, label facing down. They had a note on it, "no shipping label". Too damn lazy to look and move the box around.
We drop off and do not get a receipt, but, I will for now on. Its not shown as received until they scan it I guess. Thats BS, we make the labels, drop off, then if they lose it before scanning it, then what? They say they never got it?
So I get a receipt now, I will remember that one. Te lady complained today, but what happens if they lost a $1000 package, they say they never got it? BS not gonna happen again.

FWIW, i had a package go "lost" that i sent via FedEx. The package was technically delivered, however it was delivered on the wrong side of the city. The guy who received it called the number on the package (the reciptient, my friend) and told him he accidently got his package and would call FedEx to have them come get it.

the guy never followed through and the package never showed up at my friends place.

i had to file a claim with Fed Ex and exlpain to 11 different people that just b/c it was delivered, doesn't mean it was delivered to the correct location.

If they were to integrate GPS with the the delivery record, they could prove they delivered it to the correct address. however, that would assume they would want to own up to their mistakes.

Caspian

Fedex left a rifle on the back deck of my house. Fire arms are an ASR (Adult Signature Required) item. I found it there weeks later. Cosmoline is good stuff.

Clutch

Considering everything I've shipped in the last 25+ years via UPS, I've lost very, very little (I could count them on one hand). I'm actually completely amazed how LITTLE stuff actually goes missing, considering the sheer volume of packages and the hands that touch each one.

USPS on the other hands has been a nightmare for me many times. I don't use them for ANYTHING that I really want to get to the destination!

PM

Hi Caspian,
No it wasnt yours, but one was another members. I dont have his email address with me, but i have a new tracking number and all seems well now. Ken if you are looking and want the tracking number over the weekend, just email me. Otherwise I will email it Monday.

All is good, except Everything that I had shipped Friday comes up as weighing 2.5 pounds. I sent about 25 shipments. I know they were entered right, especially since 3 different people did some of the shipments. But they all weigh 2.5 pounds, when really they are 1 pound to 100 and all in between.

But Caspian, yours said on vehicle for delivery Thursday, but still says it, except now says on vehicle for delivery next business day.

My biggest problem is that where we drop off is a FedEx Air center, and they just have a ground Pick Up. So its not actually a ground center. Which confuses me, there are 100 Ground trucks at least that go in and out every day there.
I would use the Daily Pick Up, but they come too early, at like 3PM. We are there until 8 some nights, when that is only 5 on the west coast. So if I get an order that late, I like to get it out right away, so we just drop off at that place, its 2 minutes up the road.
I had been using DHL with a little luck, but they have a drop place 20 minutes away, and have missed pick ups sometimes, so I can't have that especially when its something overnight, and its critical they need it ASAP!

They did pay the claim very fast, for 2 collet sets lost a few weeks ago, so I guess I cant really complian too much.

Back