What's new
What's new

OT two week notice

tay2daizzo8

Hot Rolled
company expects me to give 2 weeks before leaving..

should i expect 2 week notice before being let go?

Its something Ive though about before and just wanted your thoughts

And before you say "its a courtesy"..What does that have to do with it?
Its a courtesy to give the employee two week notice of you firing them but i have yet to see that happen..but its expected the employee be courteous to the employer?

And this is where the entitled mentality is proven to be ridiculous... As an employee, your job is to help your employer make money, and they reward you with a paycheck. If you aren't doing that, kiss it goodbye. It's fair, seeing as how the employer is taking the risk. On the other hand, if you're a horrible employee, 2 weeks isn't a courtesy, it's probably an answer to a prayer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

entitled....far from it..just a curiosity..i make my employer money and do a good job..with that being said lay offs are a real thing and do happen.
its expected the employee gives two week notice so the employer has time to find a replacement/ figure out their next move.
Should my wife expect a call from my employer two weeks before a layoff so she has time to figure out the next move?

like you said..my job is to make employer money and i get paid...so why does the courtesy only extend one way?

Most jobs are at will meaning no contract and changes can be fast.

2 week notice is standard for voluntary exit as one should have some ethics and this does follow you.

Labor codes sometimes factor in where large layoff are happening where notice is well in advance and often severance and pay for notice time are paid as yiu are tossed under the buss to insure security of the facility.

If possible layoff is pending start looking for next job but hope for stability or the package.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on whether or not you want to use the company for a reference in the future.

If you're a good employee, they don't want to cut you loose. If there's a forced layoff coming, they will try to give you fair warning, and usually some severance pay. They won't contest your unemployment, and they will want you back when things pick up.

If you're not worth that, they'd just as soon you left on your own.

And this is where the entitled mentality is proven to be ridiculous... As an employee, your job is to help your employer make money, and they reward you with a paycheck.
Jesus H Christ ! What is this, the twelfth century ? Do you actually believe that crap ?

btw, China labor law :

There are only a couple of reasons to fire anyone. The only no-responsibility reason is dishonesty. For all the rest, including the company going broke, employees get one month pay for every year worked as severance.

And this country kicks your bloody ass on overall costs, so somehow they manage to treat people honestly without going broke. They also pay 13 months for twelve months work and still undercut the US on costs. (Spring Festival bonus is equal to at least one month salary, more if it was a good year - VW paid 17 months in bonus one year.)

Also yes, they can still pay the severance pay even if they go broke because Chinese companies are required to keep "registered capital" in the bank. And they audit this. (Although there are ways to cheat, we're talking China after all :D) Capital that they cannot touch, it's reserved for bankruptcy or disputes that the company loses. If you win a dispute with a company here there's no crap about collecting it ; as you leave the hearing you tell the clerk your bank account number and he transfers the money from the company's registered capital into your account. Right then. And then they have to top off their registered capital account.

You should hear how they do automobile accidents, I was impressed :)

Jesus H Christ ! What is this, the twelfth century ? Do you actually believe that crap ?

btw, China labor law :

There are only a couple of reasons to fire anyone. The only no-responsibility reason is dishonesty. For all the rest, including the company going broke, employees get one month pay for every year worked as severance.

And this country kicks your bloody ass on overall costs, so somehow they manage to treat people honestly without going broke. They also pay 13 months for twelve months work and still undercut the US on costs. (Spring Festival bonus is equal to at least one month salary, more if it was a good year - VW paid 17 months in bonus one year.)

Also yes, they can still pay the severance pay even if they go broke because Chinese companies are required to keep "registered capital" in the bank. And they audit this. (Although there are ways to cheat, we're talking China after all :D) Capital that they cannot touch, it's reserved for bankruptcy or disputes that the company loses. If you win a dispute with a company here there's no crap about collecting it ; as you leave the hearing you tell the clerk your bank account number and he transfers the money from the company's registered capital into your account. Right then. And then they have to top off their registered capital account.

You should hear how they do automobile accidents, I was impressed :)

Well, lets hear about the automobile accidents......

entitled....far from it..just a curiosity..i make my employer money and do a good job..with that being said lay offs are a real thing and do happen.
its expected the employee gives two week notice so the employer has time to find a replacement/ figure out their next move.
Should my wife expect a call from my employer two weeks before a layoff so she has time to figure out the next move?

like you said..my job is to make employer money and i get paid...so why does the courtesy only extend one way?

And now we know why industry left New England and moved to the South in the 1960s. Before it went overseas even.

Whiners everywhere.

Well, lets hear about the automobile accidents......
It's ...odd :D

Riding a bicycle across the street at a corner, at a signal, we have the green light. We're in the marked crosswalk. Motorcycle completely across the intersection blows right through the red, doesn't slow down, doesn't swerve to avoid me, wham gets the back edge of the back tire. I saw the twit and was on it as hard as two 1/8 hp legs will go but it's almost as if the guy was trying to hit us. Girl on the back scratches her leg, motorcycle falls down, I run over and grab him to keep him from running away, huge crowd gathers to argue the rights and wrongs of ignoring a red light, going all the way across an intersection and managing to hit a foreigner. It might surprise you but there was a vocal group claiming it was my fault for ... not getting out of the way fast enough ?

Girl goes to hospital because "Blood ! Blood ! Tian na (chinese omg) I'm bleeding !" Her mom comes and gets into a screaming match with the drunk in the cigarette store on the corner who figured it was our fault and she must be a slut for being in the company of a foreigner. How dare we ride across the street under the green ? I'm still hanging on to the miscreant. Luckily his motorcycle is kinda smushed where he dumped it after hitting us, and kicking it straight before he could run away was too much, with me hanging on and all. A right cross would have settled that problem but if you are a foreigner, do not punch people in China. That's a no-no.

Cops finally come, they take away both vehicles and write some stuff. In an injury accident they impound all the vehicles. Next day supposed to go to the police station.

Nine thirty, we're there on time but the other guy is a no-show.

Ten o'clock, no guy.

Ten-thirty, no guy. Police look him up (they can look up anyone in a matter of seconds) and tell us where he lives. Cop at the desk says, "You can go get him if you want but I'd be careful. Lots of times these country people all live together in a house and they might beat you up or something."

Umm, what ? Made me giggle a little. Can you imagine a US cop saying "Yeah, here's his home address, you can go pick him up if you want" ??

Cops at the front desk are not very bright, I'm just observing this for posterity, the girl is angry, she has a scratch. And the bike has some bending and scratches. Maybe a pedal broken or something.

Eleven o'clock, the guy shows up. Luckily a smarter cop comes out of the office area and deals with this. In fact he was really smart and psychologically astute. Gets the story from both sides, keeps the peace impartially when everyone starts yelling, takes the girl's figures for damages, takes long enough thinking to give the impression that he's being totally fair, first gave me a lecture that it's partly my fault, you're not supposed to ride people on the back of your bicycle (like, that had any bearing on someone blowing an entire intersection and still, with two lanes of road to use, still managing to hit us ?) and then told the guy he owes 3,000 rmb. Payable now, thank you very much.

Guy's girlfriend goes off to get the money (I don't think they let the perp claim he's leaving to get money ?), we wait another hour or so, she comes back and pays us, we get the bicycle and he gets the motorcycle. Everybody leaves.

On the one hand, it's ridiculous. This took most of a day.

On the other hand, after one day it was all over. No court appearances, no three estimates, no towing and impound fees, no lawyers involved, no continuances, no problems collecting, no fines and fees and court costs, just pay the other person the real damages. I was a little miffed about getting a lecture for doing something that 3/4 of the population does on a daily basis but oh well. Considering everything, it was an okay method to deal with auto accidents.

And this is where the entitled mentality is proven to be ridiculous... As an employee, your job is to help your employer make money, and they reward you with a paycheck. If you aren't doing that, kiss it goodbye. It's fair, seeing as how the employer is taking the risk. On the other hand, if you're a horrible employee, 2 weeks isn't a courtesy, it's probably an answer to a prayer.

Say what? Listen asshole, they PAY you for the work you do, it's not a "reward'... idiot

In my experience, once you give 2 weeks notice, they can let you go at that moment. Yes, I happened to me. I am not sure of the labor laws. They can be state to state. I was told that they should have paid me for that time.

There isn't any problem here. There are laws and rules that employers and employees must follow.

Get offered a better job and your future employer knows you can't start at once. If you say you can and claim you have a job you can bet he's going to start a search to find out why you can quit immediately. Phoning the previous employer is very common.

Danish employment law - DELACOUR

Most employers will not give any notice, you get your last cheque and you're out that hour. In some lines of work they have no choice, can't let some grumpy guy mess things up for 2 weeks before he's out... "I'll show them"

As far as I'm concerned this is an Everyone For Themselves world, and I don't mind playing accordingly.

Most employers will not give any notice, you get your last cheque and you're out that hour. In some lines of work they have no choice, can't let some grumpy guy mess things up for 2 weeks before he's out... "I'll show them"

As far as I'm concerned this is an Everyone For Themselves world, and I don't mind playing accordingly.

Don't new employers phone previous employers just for reference? Of course not all do that here but it certainly isn't uncommon and a "grumpy employee" can never be certain whether he'll be checked on or not.

An employer here can always demand an employee leave the premisses immediately but they still have to pay the full wage as they would if he was working so that's only done as an "emergency".

I can now understand that it's regarding lay-offs and not firing the employee for lack of work or some other issue. I know quite a few companies that have given 2 weeks to employees for that reason, and yes, it would be nice to find another job before you're out the door.

When I have quit jobs I have given a two week notice. I do it because I want my vacation time and othe rthings that I have earned WITHOUT HAVING TO FIGHT about it. I also want a decent reference in the future, and you never know when you may need something from that soon to be former employer. As far as lay offs go....most of the time an employee can see that coming more than two weeks away....unless they arent paying attenetion. Its not realistic to expect an employer to give an employee a 2 week notice on a layoff. As a matter of fact...I would say an employer who did such a thing is a stupid F...er and wont be in business long. Do you really want to work for a guy who is dumb enough to go out to a soon to be fired employee and say" hey pal....I think your work sucks, so 2 weeks from now I am gonna fire you. Make sure any tools you would like to steal, whether they are the companies or your co workers, go home with you soon. BTW...part of the reason I am firing you is because you are such an asshole that you cant get along with your co workers....make sure you key their trucks on the way out and maybe even pick a fight or 2 before next friday"

The more I even think of it the stupider it sounds. Think of what would happen in our overly litigeous society when 5 or 6 people get gunned down at work by the guy who just got his 2 week notice of being fired/laid off.

Back