What's new
What's new

OT?- Volunteering Time and/or Shop Resources to Help Inspire School-Age Kids...

charlie gary

Stainless
... to Want Jobs in Manufacturing

OK, my thread title exceeded the text box limits.

The thing that sparked me to start this thread was a phone call from a guy I've built high school robot parts with for the last nine years. When we first met he had a high school freshman daughter who was on a First Robotics team, and I was a guy who got a call from the technical college I graduated from and serve on the advisory council for asking if I could help these kids build robot parts because the shop that had been helping them was too busy to do so any more.

The first year we met at the school on Saturdays for a few months while the kids designed and built robots for competition with parts I machined in the shop with the help of a couple other guys associated with the school's machine shop class. The next year we put together a class for the kids and enrolled them as students so they could go out into the shop and make their own parts with guidance from a few of us at the school.

The students had to design their own parts, and when the kid who eventually graduated and went to Olin College before graduating from there and getting his dream job at Tesla was designing the parts we machined a lot of pretty nice stuff.
Now the team's lead students are closer to the normal/genius line of life, so a lot of what they do consists of buying aluminum extruded rails and kit motors and gear boxes combined with a liberal sprinkling of McMaster-Carr components. That's quite alright. When you've only got six weeks to build and box up a robot for competition, relying on custom components is really risky if you're not a gifted designer and engineer.

OK, I'll get to the point of my post. The phone call I got was from a guy who's daughter and son both participated in the program. His daughter has since graduated from Oregon State as a mechanical engineer, and his son is now enrolled in an automotive program at a technical college, meaning he's like me- he no longer has a kid in the program. I never did, but I always figured if my kids didn't want to learn it, I guess it was on me to find some who did if I wanted to pass it on. He went on to mention that there were NO mechanical mentors who had kids in the program, and those of us who were still there two nights a week and Saturdays (not me anymore) were getting to the point they wanted to do other things with their time.

While that's an issue that will have to be brought up with this individual set of parents, the greater issue at hand is the fact that volunteers need to recruit replacement volunteers to keep the pool of interest interesting. People in the industry can have a positive impact on our future of manufacturing in whatever country we live in if we can get some face time with school-age people and show them how things can be made. I've been exposed to a few hundred high school kids by now, and more than a handful have thanked me for exposing them to the possibilities and gone on to become professionals involved in manufacturing.

How do volunteers get involved? One way is for other volunteers to evangelize a little bit. If you don't hear about something you're less likely to know it's out there, so I'm bringing it up today.

I am not a repository of information on how to get involved in your local area, but with any luck this thread itself will become one as others come up with suggestions on how to spread the love of manufacturing and infecting our youth with a love of all things manufacturing related.

I personally help a high school team competing in First Robotics, so I've attached a link to their mentor information page. You might also contact your local school and ask if they have any kind of robotics/mechatronics etc. clubs looking for mentors. It's more fun than I ever thought it would be.

Mentors and Coaches | FIRST

Last edited:
I liked your post

I also sponsor a robotics team. Don't have to do much with it myself, one of my young engineers is an active volunteer on the team, but we make shop time available and do projects for them. Did a major rebuild on their enclosed trailer this year, we donated the material and labour. Its a good thing to do and is also a positive way for the business to promote itself

Last edited:
My grandson is thirteen and will enter high school next year. A couple of years ago I built a CNC machine with him in mind. Its a vertical/horizontal mill, with interchangeable router and R8 spindles using Tormach tooling. A tool post on the head takes OXA Tormach lathe tools so you can turn parts on the Harbor Freight lathe headstock and tailstock driven by a larger stepper motor. So you can use it as a fourth axis too. There is a 3D print head and heated build plate, and the whole thing is fully enclosed. It has mist buster coolant and an integral shop vac for cleaning up. With 18"x18"x18" travels on THK linear ways with 20mm ballscrews it is quite accurate and reasonably fast at 300ipm.

My hope is he'll get involved with FIRST and when they need a special part he'll say "Hey I can make that!" and he'll learn a lot by having fun with his buddies. I would love to mentor the kids as well. Right now I am mentoring a whole company full of young guys as we start up a new manufacturing business.

I am now 63 soon to be 64 and retiring. I have always wanted to mentor or life coach a "younger". You have given me some ideas... 40+ years in a machine shop, both floor and management might be of help. NC and soon to be SC. We can be competitive with overseas has always been my belief. Made in America does mean a lot.....

The Scouts - (not just boy scouts, they include girls now too)
have a welding badge plus others Drafting, Electronics, Engineering, First Aid, Inventing, Metalwork, Robotics, and Safety merit badge

Plus many many others.

There is distinct prepared curriculum for them.
If you do this sort of thing, even if it's not with the Scouts, their materials are very well done and may be useful to you.

For the welders
http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Merit_Badge_ReqandRes/Welding.pdf

All of them
Merit Badge worksheets - MeritBadgeDotOrg

My grandson is thirteen and will enter high school next year. A couple of years ago I built a CNC machine with him in mind. Its a vertical/horizontal mill, with interchangeable router and R8 spindles using Tormach tooling. A tool post on the head takes OXA Tormach lathe tools so you can turn parts on the Harbor Freight lathe headstock and tailstock driven by a larger stepper motor. So you can use it as a fourth axis too. There is a 3D print head and heated build plate, and the whole thing is fully enclosed. It has mist buster coolant and an integral shop vac for cleaning up. With 18"x18"x18" travels on THK linear ways with 20mm ballscrews it is quite accurate and reasonably fast at 300ipm.

Sounds like a cool design! Have you given thought to selling or publishing the plans? Not what this forum targets, of course, but I suspect there would be high interest among the hobby crowd.

My machine is a one off that would be difficult and very expensive to copy. For example the 205 lb 24" x24" precision scraped surface plate that is the table I got for $98 at a junk yard. I got 4 new surplus THK high speed recirculating ball slides with ground ball screws for $1200 total on Ebay. The large DC power supply was built from two surplus transformers and capacitors for $50 off Ebay. The two electrical enclosures I got for $25 each. The aluminum 8020 base frame and enclosure frame came to me free from a retired machine I built for a customer. The Igus shielded robot servo cables came from another machine I had built. One of the spindle motors is a Baldor DC treadmill motor running on a DC controller from an old machine. There is a DL06 Plc from another old machine running all the I/O and even the push buttons are recycled.
I bought the motors, drives, and motion card new. I spent about $10K total including a lot of tooling. I hate to think what all the free/cheap stuff would really cost!

Back