What's new
What's new

OT: what to wear for job interview

Mlbz420

Aluminum
I know that you should "dress for success" but this is no office job.

i have several appointments tommorrow and again on monday. almost all will be dirty jobs. either in cnc job shops, fastener co., or machine building plant.

i have my standard work attire of jeans and a t-shirt with sneakers or work boots or what i feel to be to formal, dress pants, long sleeve shirt, and shinny shoes.

most of these interviews will include a tour through the facility, there is something about walking through a shop environment in a dress shirt bothers me.

the best i could come up with is a black dress shirt with a nice clean pair of jeans and a flat soled shoe as an in between but im not sure how that will go over with an interviewer.

what suggestions or opinions do you guys have.

what would you look for if you were the interviewer?

I know where you are comming from, as this is always something I think about when going on an interview or a plant tour.

I think the best rule of thumb is to dress one level above what you would expect their typical dress code to be.

Like you say, if you are going to be applying for a hands on job out in the shop you probably don't want to send the wrong message and wear a three piece suit. At the same time you want to appear as though you put some effort into preparing for the interview and you have your s**t together.

If you expect them to be wearing t-shirts out in the shop I would probably wear a polo or dress shirt with nice clean jeans. Shoes probably don't matter too much as long as they are safe and decent looking.

Don't be late.

I've interviewed for manufacturing jobs all over the country and also interviewed applicants for over 20 years.

In addition to the "correct" dress J-head has mentioned, there is dress that raises questionable judgment in my opinion. Those points include, wearing a ball cap indoors, especially backwards. Gaudy jewelry, sandals, gang or prison tattoos, open shirt, shorts, sun glasses, etc.

What catches my attention is organization and attention to detail. Bring a folder with drawings or photos of work you're proud of. Any awards or seminar certificates. Perhaps GD&T or SPC training. Anything that shows you've made a personal investment in your trade. That it's more then just a job to you.

Do homework on the company you're visiting. Two questions I ask every candidate are, "what have you done to prepare for this interview," and "what are you most proud of accomplishing?"

The last time I went job hunting,for a machinist job, I believe I was a bit over-dressed for the position. I wore black dress pants , brown suede shoes and a button up,short sleeve, shirt.
I got questions like - "what job are you applying for?" After all, it is just a manual labor job.
I then switched to good condition "new" blue jeans and the employers seemed more receptive.
At my present job I see applicants for unskilled labor positions, getting the tour, who are wearing all manner of slovenly apparel, like ripped jeans and white t shirts advertising alcoholic beverages.

Depending on the place, I'd likely dress ready to work.

Last interview I went to was right after working 8hours in dirty repair work. I was covered in grease and such.

If you were going for an interview in a really large facility that will make you jump thru so many hoops if they hire you that you won't see the shop for a week after hire anyway. Then you can dress nicer as those interviewing you likely won't have set foot in the shop or know what a shop worker usually dresses like. But in general, jeans and a shirt with not too many holes in it should be just fine. Then again I never really care what people are wearing, too many other things to worry about besides the " do the shoes match the belt "

Bring a pair of safety glasses with you!

Good luck!

What they told you back in high school still applies: Blue suit. White or light blue shirt with collar. Subtle tie. Polished black shoes. Minimal jewelry.

Chances are, that's what the next candidate will be wearing.

Polo shirt (short sleeve, collar, 3 buttons) and khaki's.

If you think you are gonna be on the floor appropriate shoes (they make steel toe everything now a days).

Good idea on the safety glasses, and also some foam hearing protectors.

Neat, clean clothes, shirt with collar, nothing far out in style or color. Clean shave or neatly trimmed beard. Neat haircut. Lots of great people these days wear long hair and jewelry such as ear rings and piercings. These however, were a great turn-off for my conservative nature when hiring back when I was middle management.

Jim

I personally think you are already a likely candidate for the jobs...any of them. You are already planing out some strategies and are concerned about the way you are going to present yourself. I would think as long as you are clean and are showing respect to what you are doing that, that in itself will show to your possible new employer that you are the man for the job.My guess is there will be many whom do not do this ! Good luck ! Randy

No tongue studs or facial jewelry. NORMAL hair style. No rooster tails or spikes. Spring that on them later after you have the job. Safety glasses and hard shoes. Bluejeans and a polo shirt.

have fun
i_r_machinist

ps. I would pitty the fool that showed up for a machinist job dressed in a suit! He would never live that down if he got the job, and it would probably influence his nickname for the rest of time.

Depends on how bad you want/need the job.

IF you are interviewing the employer and not vice versa then I would dress in neat clean work clothing, for me that would be a new Carhardt tee shirt, and a clean fairly new pair of blue jeans. If that weeds out some employers then I do NOT want to work for them anyway.

Clean shaven, recently showered.

Bill

man have times changed.

when i was a young man i always dressed in a 3 piece suit and i always got the job.

now all i have to do is show up with a Coors shirt and a No. 8 Bud ball cap and im in :D .

i still think a polo shirt and blue jeans is appropiate in todays business climate, but i do miss the dressing up and flirting with the office gals...jim

My wife interviewed a woman a couple years ago for a registered nurse position she had open. The gal showed up in a Big Johnson tee shirt and a pair of short so short a couple inches of cheeks were exposed. She said the woman seemed very knowledgable regarding nursing and came across as very intelligent, but she decided she'd pass based on poor judgement. Her office window looks onto the parking lot, and her decision was validated when she watched the woman pop a beer and chug it before leaving the lot.

I agree USMCPOP. I like the Dickies line of clothes for the clean look. Kinda like a HAAS factory service guy minus the stupid grin and cap.

Back