What's new
What's new

Portland Oregon area fastener ordering

The Dude

Hot Rolled
I'm often buying small quantities of fasteners (and other items like raw material, clamps, dowels, etc.) online and have been using McMaster for almost everything. Can't complain about anything but I would sure like to find a reasonable next day service (they are usually 3 days out, which isn't horrible by any means). I have two possibilities that I'm wondering if anyone can give me verification on:

1. MSC. Someone that I can't get in contact with anymore says that MSC will usually deliver next day but when I call them they say their main servicing warehouse is in Nevada and I can't see that being shorter than two days with normal shipping.

2. Tacoma Screw. They are mostly "fastener only" (and tools, but not things like clamps and only a few varieties of raw material that's more like Home Depot stuff). But their warehouse is in Tacoma so that should be one day if ordered early enough and they have what I need, so I do plan on checking them out. I know they have the store out on Columbia Blvd, been there many times, but time is too valuable and everyone around here knows how bad traffic is getting.

Are there any local options I'm missing? Hardware stores are starting to evaporate and/or get worse in selection. We had Falk in Beaverton and they threw in the towel. The only other one out in Beaverton is the Ace at the end of Allen and they like to "hover" over you like to the point where it's creepy. I'll go there for "gottahaves" but that's it. When there once and they didn't have a drawer of 10-24 SHCS, he was convinced they did and wasted about 5 minutes looking for something they didn't have. We have a Circle Bolt but they only do large consumption stuff. Okay, rant over.

Just to be clear, what I'm ideally looking for is website ordering and ("typically", if in-stock locally), next day delivery if I order by say 2-3 PM. Okay if fasteners only, when I order stuff like clamps and things it's more of a "project" than a modification that I'm trying to quickly for a customer. I'm even fine with calling to place an order as long as I don't end up on hold for 15 minutes.

Thanks,
The Dude

I buy all my inch bolts from Oregon Bolt in Tigard and my Metric stuff from Metric Threaded products in California.

If I need some weird stuff same day I will use Parkrose Hardware or stop by a friend's shop who has Parkrose hardware beat with his own hoard.

I almost always get McMaster next day. Only exception is stuff that goes ground like paint.

Larger quantities I order from Tacoma Screw or Fastenal.

Local- Parkrose and Pearl Hardware have a decent selection of fasteners in metric and SAE sizes if I only need a few of something.

Hey thanks guys, since I made my post (13 minutes ago), I spend about 8 minutes creating an account on Tacoma's site and waited for pricing to show up (which never did) and it looks like they like to sell in qty's of >50. I'm guessing smaller is going to be $$$. Then I created my account on MSC, quickly found what I needed, placed an order for 25 3/8 flat-head cap screws that I should have Monday (soon enough in this case) and was $2 cheaper and should be one-day quicker than McM.

Just to be clear though, I'm not that concerned about the price. If I have to spend 10 minutes on several websites trying to find a cheaper price, I've likely lost any savings I'll get with the lost time (I have to save at least $1/minute for it to be worthwhile). I didn't think I'd get so many good responses so quickly but I promise to look into those. I need to get my "algorithm" down (fasteners only > go here, clamps and other specialty stuff > go here). There are a few things, like Hollaender slip-on pipe fittings that McMaster has the best selection on and I use those to build a lot of fixtures for a furniture manufactures that I work with but otherwise, I might start looking at MSC more and hopefully, with all your suggestions, find a better "next day, no drive" fastener supplier with good selection and fast ordering.

Thanks again!
The Dude

I think you will find that wholesale places still do best when you call, and no, you aren't going to get great deals on low quantity stuff.

For any kind of hose and fittings in quantity use Hose and Supply Warehouse in Tualatin. Those guys can get ANYTHING and kill on pricing. I've found they are generally 80% lower price than anywhere else.

Tacoma Screw is very good. I think in store you can get whatever quantity you want, you don't have to buy full boxes.

Circle bolt is in the Portland area as well and is good.

WC Winks often has some of everything on the shelf if you're desperate and need it today. Tacoma Screw is good, but mostly in the MRO business, so everything they do tends towards the larger hardware (though- I like Proto hand tools a lot, and they stock them).

Mostly though? McMaster. I do the trick where I'll add reups of stuff I need to keep on hand every couple of days to the cart so I have a decent order built up most of the time, and when I need something ASAP, I just add it to that order and click buy. They FedEx for a crazy low rate. Just this week, I put in an order on Monday about 3ish, and was shocked to have parts at my door by 10am the next day. They charged me a whipping $6 for shipping.

I didn't realize that Falk ACE in Beaverton had closed. The Aloha ACE on 185th just north of TV highway has about the same variety (maybe a bit more) of hardware that Falk had. If I want small quantities, that's where I go (it's real close). Prices are retail, but not outrageous, and the hardware quality is good. They stock grade 2, 5, 8 in SAE and (at least) 8.8 and 10.8 in metric fasteners, so you can buy what you need.

Hey thanks to everyone, I think I learned something off of every post but (if you're still interested), see below for the "epiphany moment" that made my day!

I didn't realize that Falk ACE in Beaverton had closed. The Aloha ACE on 185th just north of TV highway has about the same variety (maybe a bit more) of hardware that Falk had.

It's a super bummer that Falk closed. They carried a good variety. I've been to Aloha ACE, they are good just too far unless I can justify a trip out there for other stuff. I am really trying hard to avoid emergencies, I'd consider that at least a $50 trip out there and back.

Mostly though? McMaster. ...They FedEx for a crazy low rate. ... They charged me a whipping $6 for shipping.
And there's the epiphany, I've been using UPS with them! Time to open up a FedEx account and start going that route. Thanks so much Gkoenig!

Once again, thanks for all the help. I'll try the Tigard place (Oregon Bolt) as well, don't think they ever appeared in any searches.

Okay - trivia test - to see if anyone's reading. What was Portland Screw such a popular place to visit (in the warehouse) back in the 80's and 90's (maybe even before?)?

The Dude

Okay - trivia test - to see if anyone's reading. What was Portland Screw such a popular place to visit (in the warehouse) back in the 80's and 90's (maybe even before?)?
I only came to town in 1992. No idea. :)

Here's a counter-test. What's the closest equivalent to Wacky Willy's in town at the moment?

I only came to town in 1992. No idea. :)

Here's a counter-test. What's the closest equivalent to Wacky Willy's in town at the moment?

I'm pretty sure someone here will get this! As far Wacky Willy's, I'd have to say Surplus Gizmo on Cornelius Pass. Bought a pretty good share of stuff from those guys in the past but not as much lately. Definitely a cool place to breeze through.

The Dude

H And there's the epiphany, I've been using UPS with them! Time to open up a FedEx account and start going that route. Thanks so much Gkoenig!

You don't even need to open a FedEx account, just select their Overnight Shipping.

I just checked my last 4 orders. Each was for below $70 and shipped from the LA warehouse... Overnight shipping via FedEx was a whopping $6.50.

You don't even need to open a FedEx account, just select their Overnight Shipping.

I just checked my last 4 orders. Each was for below $70 and shipped from the LA warehouse... Overnight shipping via FedEx was a whopping $6.50.

Wow, that's amazing. Could you see the shipping cost before committing to the order? When I use McM and have them bill to my UPS account, I don't see any costs until it shows up on my UPS bill (at least I've never tried to look). I wouldn't call the cost exorbitant, I'm just trying to know a day or two off the lead time and not pay an arm/leg for shipping. I'm still kind of a newbie to all this stuff.

Thanks,
The Dude

Wow, that's amazing. Could you see the shipping cost before committing to the order? When I use McM and have them bill to my UPS account, I don't see any costs until it shows up on my UPS bill (at least I've never tried to look). I wouldn't call the cost exorbitant, I'm just trying to know a day or two off the lead time and not pay an arm/leg for shipping. I'm still kind of a newbie to all this stuff.

I don't think you can... I *think* the trick is that these are all coming form the LA warehouse, and the rate is based on being a small package that never needs to veer off a the West Coast FedEx hub (she flies directly from LAX to OAK and OAK to PDX). Put something in the order that's over a couple of pounds, or order something funky that has to come from the Chicago warehouse, and the overnight price will likely skyrocket.

So I just pay attention if I'm getting something from deep in the catalog like a really specialized tool, or something I know will be heavy. I am sure if you call them or use the website chat dingus, they can calculate the order shipping before you place it.

Back