What's new
What's new

Proposed changes in the Tax code...

dcsipo

Diamond
Beside the obvious proposal of lower corporate rates and pass through tax rate, what other benefits or detriments you foresee. I am asking you as business owners and not as individuals, although with an S corp the two are not easily separable. I have a C corp, and kept it that way even though i do not have employees right now. Depending how it shakes out i may decide to convert to an S corp.

dee
;-D

international companies will never bring overseas profits back to use in usa if tax rate is too high. lowering tax rate and they bring money back to usa at least government gets something
of course you will hear the belly aching about tax breaks to big corporations. trouble is big corporations can just as easily invest profits in overseas factories and never bring anything money or factories back to usa and not even worry about it for a millisecond for the next 1000 years. politicians who do not understand are usually the ones who never worked, actually making things for a living
too many people never actually make anything

Far too early to tell. What has been released is nothing more than a vision statement. There is a long, long way to go before anything is voted on.

The vision statement seems to lower taxes for everyone, in significant percentages. Corps pay less, middle class pays less, wealthy pay less ... what's not to like, right? But what are the offsetting spending cuts?

Regards.

Mike

Far too early to tell. What has been released is nothing more than a vision statement. There is a long, long way to go before anything is voted on.

The vision statement seems to lower taxes for everyone, in significant percentages. Corps pay less, middle class pays less, wealthy pay less ... what's not to like, right? But what are the offsetting spending cuts?

Regards.

Mike

To companies it sounds good but who is going to pay the difference in the tax income the state needs?

When some pay less that means some have to pay more. Who's going to have to pay more while waiting to see what happens?

US Debt and How It Affects the Economy

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. But somehow, in political dialogue, it is always possible to promise getting MORE than you pay for ...

Many jobs will not/never come back unless the aid to China and India shipping is not addressed.. On a small part that can be 10%... often the amount of profit one may wish to make...

There's got to be more to it than shipping.

China
Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with China

India
Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with India

EU
Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with European Union

Canada
Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with Canada

Mexico
Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with Mexico

Australia (Looks as if they import more from the USA than they export)
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c6021.html

UK (hmmm interesting?)
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4120.html

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/united-states/

To companies it sounds good but who is going to pay the difference in the tax income the state needs?

When some pay less that means some have to pay more. Who's going to have to pay more while waiting to see what happens?

Many of us have been pushing for spending cuts. Serious spending cuts. Trillions worth. Our country spends so much on programs it shouldn't. Our government is significantly overbloated.

QT Gordon [There's got to be more to it than shipping.]

Agree but we need to start some place.. do something.. stop just looking at the mess and pick up one item.

Or say woe is me till the cows come home..and if the cows don't come home woe is me..

I expect the Bozos to do little good on taxes or spending...Even if Trump has good intentions he will be able to do little good.. just to long spending like fools and having to much money to spend..likely solid gold toilet handles in government men and/or ladies (however you feel Today)bathrooms would be a good start to making things better.

Many of us have been pushing for spending cuts. Serious spending cuts. Trillions worth. Our country spends so much on programs it shouldn't. Our government is significantly overbloated.

I fully agree. So here's the challenge - each of us needs to suggest a program that we personally benefit from and propose that program for cutting.

Many of us have been pushing for spending cuts. Serious spending cuts. Trillions worth. Our country spends so much on programs it shouldn't. . .

Curious which trillion(s) you'd like to cut? We spend about 4 trillion per year -- and it divides more or less in four quarters:

1/4 -- Social Security. Repaying people for the money they've put in over a lifetime. Should we break that promise?

1/4 -- Medicare and health
. Also repaying people for money they've put in over a lifetime of contributions. Should we break that promise?

1/4 -- Military and veterans. Various defense and "defense" and taking care of the folks we've sent off to be wounded. This quarter includes the interest on our debt from various wars. You could get your trillion here, but we still face genuine threats.

1/4 -- Helping citizens in need. Lots of "takers" here, and I'm including Medicaid subsidies in this quarter. But not just welfare. This trillion includes the cost of exiting the Great Recession in past years. The victims of storms and natural disasters maybe close to a trillion worth of damages just this year. And a large portion of this "aid to citizens" is going to tax breaks or subsidies for fairly wealthy who aren't black, Hispanic, or poor rural white -- one reason folks still want to see Trump's tax returns and we still grumble about corn-based Ethanol subsidized in gasoline.

No question we could and should spend our money more wisely -- neither party is paying much attention to institutional quality and productivity. But if you compare our tax percentage to other first world countries, we're on the low end. We're headed into increasing the national deficit, not reducing it.

Also no question we need tax reform. While our nominal top rate is high, some industries have bought huge political and regulatory favor; including hedge funds, insurance and financial companies, pharma companies, defense, oil, corporate agriculture, most anyone shipping jobs overseas. One can bet that lobbyists are working overtime to see their breaks are preserved -- and also how to game things like the lower rate for private businesses (which includes most hedge funds, private equity, etc.).

Personally, I'd like to see a much simpler and fairer system -- especially for smaller and mid-sized businesses. That's one thing being promised (and the OP's question). I'm skeptical that special interests won't skewer it. If so, we'll get a supposed "tax break for everyone" followed by deficits, followed by more financial chaos, followed by small businesses in a recession and what amounts to both a tax hike down the road and deflation of business assets. Hope I'm wrong, but we've been having ten year cycles of boom and bust in which the middle class and small business tend to come out a bit poorer each time. Look at the financial types in Trump's cabinet -- and how they like to use Federal travel funds etc. -- to make your own call

Also like to see it much harder for large companies to use our schools and infrastructure -- and then escape the taxes that pay for them (through off-shoring, corporate inversions, etc.). While we should bring that overseas wealth home (created mostly out of US-paid assets) we should also stop letting companies rip off our schools, public R&D, roads, infrastructure, environment, etc. and not pay it either back or forward. Want to talk patriotism? Forget, the flag pins and have our best and brightest, our captains of industry, working to renew our schools, research, neighborhoods, and infrastructure.

Also like to see both poltical parties spend our money with far greater care and concern for ROI.

But it terms of "let's cut trillions from the budget" -- you might want to do the math. Which trillions?

The notion that these tax cuts will pay for themselves comes from the guy who thinks everything around and on him is huge -- pretty much without ever a nod to reality. Over the past hundred years, technological innovation has been the main driver of growth and prosperity. Investments in such things as our schools (once the world's best), R&D (we pretty much invented the auto, aero, computer, and Internet ages), and infrastructure (we put electric lines, highways, bridges, water works, sewers, etc. throughout the country) enabled this. Today, many of our schools are failing. Both public and private R&D funding is being cut. Our infrastructure lags. Hard to see, IMO, how the budget proposal actually invests in the drivers of innovation and growth. Far as I can tell so far, the breaks may go as much or more to the marginally productive wealthy, as a new generation of Edisons.

The private sector also plays a huge role here in improving our budget situtation -- a very large part of our national spend (trillions) is now on health care and it is private (and would remain mostly private even with single payer). And the reasons we spend 2x per capita other big spender nations, don't cover all our citizens, and have worse outcomes in things like longevity are largely due to inefficiency and sometimes greed and corruption in our private suppliers. Remember, our hospitals essentially kill 1/3 of the patients that die through lousy quality control. The opioid epidemic is at least partly a creation of the pharma industry wanting new uses and more customers.

The quarter we spend on our military is not doing all that well either -- ships going bump in the dark, weapons systems over budget, and we still too unsure of our anti-missile systems to use them as much more than a bluff in places like North Korea.

Typical of Trump schemes so far there are no details except it is a wonderful plan and anyone against it is a slug. he had seven years to come up with a health plan and he still has not got an actual written plan that the congressional budget office can explain to the public.
Do you think his budget is anymore thought out? You will have to wait until there is actually a vote to know what the new tax laws will be. He does not seem able to wheel and deal with congress so lots of stuff will be added and subtracted to any bills before they get passed anyways.
Bill

Why would you move now?
This stuff takes a long time to play out and then is put off years for the implement.
Worse yet for planning is that there may be a new president when it becomes effective which may change the ground rules and there are limits on your ability to jump back and forth.
One pays for the paperwork, is this a big dollar difference for you, more than just an accountant and lawyer employment act?

You get advice from both while holding the understanding that they have there own political and money making point of view which you have to weigh in. (trust them but always cut the deck)

Know nothing of your books. Tempted to say hold your cards and wait for something to get laid on the table.
I'm a C, and very small now. While S would be a few dollars better and less tax forms, I'm not looking to change.
Having been there for 40 years I know my way around the C system, do not want to learn or pay money to swap.
Perhaps I will but I don't jump without a real good reason. There would have to be thousands saved.

Your deal is most likely very different. Just be careful of chasing or reacting to "fads" or info that you see on the news.
Bob

Curious which trillion(s) you'd like to cut? We spend about 4 trillion per year -- and it divides more or less in four quarters:

1/4 -- Social Security. Repaying people for the money they've put in over a lifetime. Should we break that promise?

1/4 -- Medicare and health
. Also repaying people for money they've put in over a lifetime of contributions. Should we break that promise?

1/4 -- Military and veterans. Various defense and "defense" and taking care of the folks we've sent off to be wounded. This quarter includes the interest on our debt from various wars. You could get your trillion here, but we still face genuine threats.

S.S. for people who payed into it...NOT for people who did not.

Military for OUR defense NOT the worlds defense.

Welfare in moderation, not $15 an hour and stay on it for life,
$.02 under minimum wage, for an incentive to get OFF it.

You hurt your back and can't work...BULLSHIT. I have a job for you. Sit in front of plastic injection molder all day then removing each piece and at least make a contribution to society.(I have a bad back too btw)

This is not to bash TRUMP, but remember he had longer than "7" years for republicans. He has been bashing china for HOW LONG?? He should have had a plan already to bring jobs back with a clear cut outline detailed 100pages long. Nothing.

Under current law you have quite some time after the end of the tax year to elect S or C corp status, so in the event Congress actually changes the tax rates your accountant should be able to work out which direction you should take. Although it's likely that what they allow with one hand they will confiscate with another.

Keep in mind that the IRS is not particularly amenable to legislated reductions in its power. In the past it has actually declared itself to be in "nonacquiescence" with court decisions, so it's best to have an accountant who believes in conservative interpretations of the tax code.

I understand the big tax firms lobby for tax changes every year. They do not really care how the tax laws get changed they just want them changed. this makes it harder for folks to do their own taxes and more likely to pay someone who keeps up to date with the latest changes.
Bill

Why would you move now?
This stuff takes a long time to play out and then is put off years for the implement.
Worse yet for planning is that there may be a new president when it becomes effective which may change the ground rules and there are limits on your ability to jump back and forth.
One pays for the paperwork, is this a big dollar difference for you, more than just an accountant and lawyer employment act?

You get advice from both while holding the understanding that they have there own political and money making point of view which you have to weigh in. (trust them but always cut the deck)

Know nothing of your books. Tempted to say hold your cards and wait for something to get laid on the table.
I'm a C, and very small now. While S would be a few dollars better and less tax forms, I'm not looking to change.
Having been there for 40 years I know my way around the C system, do not want to learn or pay money to swap.
Perhaps I will but I don't jump without a real good reason. There would have to be thousands saved.

Your deal is most likely very different. Just be careful of chasing or reacting to "fads" or info that you see on the news.
Bob

Hear ya, This was the closest to the perfect response i was looking for...

I started to think about, the difference between paying myself a salary or pass through....it is not the corporate tax thing, i have an easy way to clean out the company at the end of every year.

dee
;-D

Welfare in moderation, not $15 an hour and stay on it for life,
$.02 under minimum wage, for an incentive to get OFF it.
This is something that has puzzled me forever. Or maybe not so much, when I think of who is really getting the benefit of welfare ...

Cities, the states, the feds, they all need people to clean toilets, collect tolls, repair sidewalks, wash the trucks and buses, that kind of thing. WHY do they insist on paying people $40 an hour for menial jobs, then complaining they don't have enough money, then taxing the public for a welfare "safety net" ?

And then the nitwits snivel that they can't afford the grossly-overpaid toll takers ($90,000+ a year), so they install some braindead Fast Trak shit that loses them hundreds of thousands of dollars a year (tourists don't bother to pay) and it costs more than just paying the arfing toll-takers what they were worth in the first place.

We shouldn't need most welfare. Just use that money to get something of value for it, at the cost that it's worth. And people will be happier actually working than being on welfare anyhow. If it was good enough for Jackie and Ralph, it oughta be good enough for the rest of us.

I'm pretty well convinced that much of welfare exists because there is pretty good money in administering all the hep-you programs.

Back