What's new
What's new

Questions re screw threads and tolerances - ask

I know a good bit about screw threads and tolerances so if anyone has questions I'll do my best to answer. The questions I can't answer I'm sure another member can.

Here's a list of threads I'm sure most will recognize so ask away.

60º M, MF, UNC, UNF, UNEF, UNS, 55º Whitworth, G, BSP, R, Rc, BSPT, 60º NPS, NPT,* 30º Tr,
29º ACME, Stub Acme, 80º Pg, Buttress (all types), API, etc.

Even threads that aren't in that list are welcome.

What about threads that should probably be in the general forum?
Might get a little more action there.

Isn't the point of this entire forum to answer questions that people ask? Why do you need to encourage people to perform the function that brought them here to begin with? This is akin to a plumber asking me if I want them to work on any plumbing related issues after I asked them to my home to work on plumbing related issues.

Isn't the point of this entire forum to answer questions that people ask? Why do you need to encourage people to perform the function that brought them here to begin with? This is akin to a plumber asking me if I want them to work on any plumbing related issues after I asked them to my home to work on plumbing related issues.

Some go into sub fora to ask their screw thread questions that I never "visit". Thought it might be good to have a place where people would know where to go to. I'm assuming I'm not the only one that'll be able to answer questions. You didn't have a screw thread question so why even post? Some might regard your post as trolling.

Someone asked the other day on the NC board what was the purpose of variable pitch/lead threads? Bone screw and self tightening applications were mentioned but not much other then that was said.

So what is the typical need or use for variable pitch/leads threads? I've never ever had a print come down calling for these threads. Anything other then whats been aalready mentioned?

Brent

Someone asked the other day on the NC board what was the purpose of variable pitch/lead threads? Bone screw and self tightening applications were mentioned but not much other then that was said.

So what is the typical need or use for variable pitch/leads threads? I've never ever had a print come down calling for these threads. Anything other then whats been aalready mentioned?

Brent

Surprising (no it isn't really) how much information can be found in PM with almost no searching.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/variable-pitch-prog-g34-problem-help-120577/

At least it's only a few little electrons doing a jig down some wire these days.

At least one hundred thousand million trees have not been felled, to produce the ten octillion pages of paper, to waste on superfluous missives.

At least one hundred millions of (US) gallons of oil is still in the ground and has not been turned into ink to fill the pages of wasted trees.

At least . . .

15124/(7*365) ~ 6, per day!

Anyone know where John Welden is? I've a great idea for a new poll.

If nobody has/had a thread question the the thread would be gone in a day, except for a search of thread problem ...But to make it a reason to complain then goes on for 15 posts. I think Gordon was serious with his offer.

If nobody has/had a thread question the the thread would be gone in a day, except for a search of thread problem ...But to make it a reason to complain then goes on for 15 posts. I think Gordon was serious with his offer.

Possibly he was serious.

But after long years of seldom posting anything but an invitation for free tickets to participate in a riot, he should now understand that his actions have conditioned a riot as the standard response wherever his name appears.

He asked for that branding. He earned that branding. It doesn't easily wash off.

My question was serious. I got blew off with a link. Say ask away, I ask, I get a lesson in the site search function?

Brent

Agree that was a fair question. Re:what was the purpose of variable pitch/lead threads?

At some point in the late 1960's - perhaps as late as 1971, "American Machinist" had published a series of tear-out reference pages that grew to cover - if I recall the count correctly - 121 specific screw thread types and standards. Granted, many of those were variations on the same theme, stub-Acme to Acme and similar.

Newer ones have been introduced since those days. Older ones have fallen into disuse.

Gordon may be "in the business", but I cannot be made to believe he is the sole expert, nor necessarily even particularly expert at all. His product(s) serve only a portion of the field.

No sin atall, that part. No single person or company covers it all.

Arrogantly presuming otherwise?

Embarrassing for Gordon, was it not, to have discovered that his years of focus on stirring up other-peoples' politics has left him borderline ignorant of what goes on outside his door in the 'real world' of thread technology alone.

Back