What's new
What's new

Any JobBOSS Reviews

My Familys shop uses it in CA but Im not certain they would buy it again. Certain windows things cant be upgraded and other software issues etc.

From a machinist standpoint it could be better. It won't minimize on the desktop so you have to shut it down to see the icon or whatever is behind it. Minor issue but whatever. I see where it could benefiit a production shop but we are in R&D with a 7 man shop. The department lead spends a lot of time re-prioritizing and printing off new priority sheets because something new is HOT every day. We drank their beer and took their T-shirts at IMTS in 2010 however and their people were nice there even though one of my colleagues told them exactly what he thought. I won't go into it but an Excel sheet would do us fine here.

In my brief use ...JUNK. Program crashes and layout is not intuitive....I'm putting in a new system written by a start up here locally (Silicon Valley has its perks sometimes...).

I don't care for it much, clumsy user interface, the server side software crashed alot. The boss who suggested it loves it, but of course it was his suggestion so he's biased. At the last big improvement meeting the number one suggestion, (tabled by him nonetheless) was that we need to hire someone to run it full time, for a 12 person shop, that does not sound like very reasonable proposition to me. (I'd rather have another person on my shift)

Ok, so not many fans. Glad I asked. Does anyone have a system they do like? Scheduling is my main PIA. We are a small job shop and production shop with about 25 employees. Scheduling our production machines is a breeze, but the job shop work and tooling is killing me! It would be nice to have something better than 50 spreadsheets.

For what it's worth, this question has come up before, and the usual suspects usually end u getting mentioned. Seems like limited choices out there to suggest.

Quick-JobShop is another option. It has the ability to upload files to part numbers ( pictures, PDF's, programs ). Route sheets are per part number. Receiving docs/ certs are tagged to that item in inventory and go with that item to what ever job or jobs they happen to go. Has the ability to do infinitely deep multi-level assemblies. The software does not currently have a scheduling portion to it, but it is something that is being developed. Take a look at the website and see if it makes sense for you.

To be frank...your post is a waste of time and spam in nature as...

Quick-JobShop is another...... The software does not currently have a scheduling portion to it, but it is something that is being developed. Take a look at the website and see if it makes sense for you.

...This does not help the poster...no scheduling...no pricing without calling...:nono:

For what it's worth, this question has come up before, and the usual suspects usually end u getting mentioned. Seems like limited choices out there to suggest.

Is this really true? If so, why?

Is it because each customer wants something a little bit different (how to schedule) so there isn't a way to build a single product around it? Or is the problem very complicated (I doubt it).

Is this really true? If so, why?

Is it because each customer wants something a little bit different (how to schedule) so there isn't a way to build a single product around it? Or is the problem very complicated (I doubt it).

I'm not sure why. There seems to be only a few software companies that have dived into the making of machine shop scheduling software.

I have J/B but got off to a bad start three years ago, currently I just don't have the time or man power to do it right. I used it in my other shop with good results having a dedicated person who was responsible for the set up and day to day management of the system. This coming year I will be making it a priority but I am considering moving on to E2. I will have to pay to have my current version OF J/B brought up to the latest Rev. and reinstalled on our network as everything has changed here computer wise since our false start. So I'm about $4K into J/B we don't use and looking at throwing another grand into it just to get going again.
I am hearing great things about E2 and the support, I will be giving it a good long look. I have been through this a few times and the biggest key to success is having a person in the shop manage it from day one as their primary job. It's hard to get everyone on board a second time around so do it right from day one. If you own the shop and handle some of everything from machining to shipping you will find it difficult if not impossible to be the person running the system. Find someone who will dive in and do it right.

..... but I am considering moving on to E2..... I am hearing great things about E2 and the support, I will be giving it a good long look.

E2 package has a reasonable scheduling module. For more scheduling strength, a best-of-breed job shop scheduling tool is integrated with E2. I am not aware of effective integration of such tools with other shop management software. In my opinion, E2 scheduling module and the third party tool should meet the scheduling requirements of almost any type of job shop production.

Most programs I've seen are not readily adaptable to a small shop environment. They are too time intensive to learn and use and too costly to buy plus maintain to be justifiable. We do not have the time to effectively learn them and do it ourselves or the funds and man power to pay someone.

So most of us use a spreadsheet for Quoting, a white board for Scheduling, and, God for bid, we would have an effective Traveler. We need spend our time out there making parts, answering questions, quoting, talking to customers, ordering tools and cutters, ordering materials, and, ect...ect...

The Scheduling SW I seen just doesn't seem to foot the bill for a small shop, which most of use are.

Most programs I've seen are not readily adaptable to a small shop environment. They are too time intensive to learn and use and too costly to buy plus maintain to be justifiable. We do not have the time to effectively learn them and do it ourselves or the funds and man power to pay someone.

So most of us use a spreadsheet for Quoting, a white board for Scheduling, and, God for bid, we would have an effective Traveler. We need spend our time out there making parts, answering questions, quoting, talking to customers, ordering tools and cutters, ordering materials, and, ect...ect...

The Scheduling SW I seen just doesn't seem to foot the bill for a small shop, which most of use are.​

Agree completely......
And find it a shame that no one has yet come up with an offering targeted toward the small shop.
I know many of the features (if scaled down) could be a great help in small size shops.
Would be important to have it all integrated into one package.
How handy would it be (for example) to be able to track job time, generate travelers with all important job info, scanned drawings, setup notes (and photos!) ??
A simple (if thats possible) bar code system to keep track of raw material?
So when a quote comes in........you can "do a search" and (theoretically) see if you may have the material or purchased parts in stock?
That said, it does (would) require some do diligence to keep the system accurate.......

I can recommend AGAINST one called ECI M1
They spam me with emails and I did one day respond that I was curious about pricing......could they
email me some info.
The result was some regional sales woman called me several times wanting to "discuss my needs"....
WTF?
All I asked for was an email with basic pricing info.

If they ignore simple direct requests like this, and go about setting their rehearsed sales tactics in motion,
I can only imagine what crappy support structure they must have after the sale.......

IMO......stay away from this one.

Last edited:
The Scheduling SW I seen just doesn't seem to foot the bill for a small shop, which most of use are.

There are numerous software tools for production scheduling with price ranging from $200 to tens of thousands of dollars. But, the concept of small shop seems to be subjective without a specific criterion for categorization. Some decent scheduling tools may be available to machine shops if what is paid to a plumber per hour is offered per month. But, the real problem for small shops is to spare about 30 - 40 minutes per day to update job status information and revise the schedule.

Back