What's new
What's new

Remember when.

scadvice

Titanium
You could get cash for your chip barrels?

Supply houses would give you free tool holders for their inserts?

You could only get good US made aluminum?

Banks would call you back? (some won't get this one)

You could fire that usless SOB without three written warnings and calling your lawyer first?

we got many free facemills on condition we buy over $1000. of inserts every week. big inserts can be $200. for box of 10
like getting a free cell phone and paying $80/month for phone plan of 2 years. not sure how free the phone was

Haven't seen the free toolholder deal since about 1980, although sometimes if you buy a boring bar from MSC they throw in 10 trigon inserts. Of course the deal is calculated not to lose money, so it's not like they're really free.

Speaking of being able to fire useless SOBs, back in Maryland a guy could lose his license for DUI, ask you to pick him up at his house and take him to work, and then not come to the door because he was still drunk. And to get rid of him and not get charged for the unemployment you had to go to hearings and appeals. I think they still have unicorns there, if you're employed by gub'mint.

where i work they buy like over $1,000,000 in tooling every year from local industrial supply with yearly contract to run the tool crib.
you want free tool holders sometimes you have to ask and remind them the yearly contract is not guaranteed to be renewed every year. and sometimes it does require changing tool supplier if you can get more for your money. local industrial supply more likely to make a deal than a National big industrial supply company

I remember when tool distributors sent me things like hats, coffee cups and calendars.

Some still do. Last year our tooling guy asked if we wanted to go on a free Salmon fishing trip. (we spend a lot of money with him) We can't accept gifts over a certain value so we didn't go.

It all depends on how much money you spend and how much they want to make sure you keep spending it.

I've done the free holder deal with Walter and Sumitomo. Walter actually bought our old face mills to get us to switch to theirs.

i remember a job site where local contractor gave monthly bill for stuff for installing machines, modifying stuff, moving stuff, etc.
i look at monthly bill and 2 welders have 10 welding machines monthly rental charge, buy a sheet of metal and weight when calculated came out to 30 foot long sheet when only 1 each 10 foot sheet was delivered. lots of mysterious charges. or over charged for stuff. once or twice a year contractor invited bosses to party with many pretty girls. obviously the free party with the girls was not free.
got to watch those monthly bills being rubber stamped approved and paid

Someone posted a while ago about carbide inserts from HRC tools. It so happened I was getting low on some of my old reliable CNMG and TNMG so I ordered a few, not knowing what to expect, but for a buck or two per insert, I put my money on the line, FOR YOU GUYS :D I have to admit I am super impressed with the quality, and cannot conceive of how they can produce coated inserts this cheaply, although I suspect that like any other mass produced thing, the mark-up we pay as consumers is probably 1000% over cost for name brand stuff. That other thread got locked, I suppose this was deemed to be 'cheap Chinese knock-offs', but when the quality is there, it's there, and the only thing to marvel over is how can it be so cheap and yet still be good stuff?

What I've used so far was CNMG120408-FW and TNMG160408-FW finishers, and under less than ideal conditions on manual lathe usage, they've been exceptional and long lasting. When an index only costs between 10 and 25 cents, you index the insert more often and care less about making one more cut with that old edge.

my old job making photographic paper each picture
$0.05 for company to make
$0.09 company sold at
$0.29 store often charge per picture
bigger 5x8 picture
$0.10 to make
$0.18 sold to store
$1.00 to $2.00 each 5x8 picture often store sold bigger picture for
yes there often is a 500% markup in price quite often

there was company giving away free hydruaulic end mill holders not long ago. the kind with the collets... you only had to buy the collets. (they gave you the holder and one collet free to try) it ended up not being a very bad deal.

I still get free end mills all the time.. companies call up and want you to try their geometry, etc... they havent realized im not a production shop and wont order more than 10 a year LOL.

i have only payed for one of my 6 face mills, and probably 2 or 3 insert tools for the mill, perhaps your suppliers just dont like you? ;)

Back