What's new
What's new

Safety handbook calls for wearing safety glasses AND goggles while machining?????

i_r_machinist

Titanium
My supervisor just came in and told me that per the safety handbook, we are required to wear safety glasses and goggles with face protection while doing any machine work. He said this was an OSHA requirement. I told him that I've been machining 34 years and never seen it. I'm going to the OSHA web sight and try to get some answers. Does anyone have any documentaion to refute this.
thanks
i_r_

I do this voluntarily working solo. Safety glasses are not sufficient when the chips are flying. I use a safety helmet (while wearing safety glasses) with a full flip-up face shield around the manual mill and the lathe, as well as in the grinding operations in the welding room. For light finishing operations, I use just the safety glasses, but if other guys were around, you'd never know what direction a chip is coming from. It could be a reasonable requirement, not saying it wouldn't be a nuisance to Have to do it, but what options are there?

Aha!!! OSHA has gotcha. Any requirement by the employer is incorporated into the standard. ANSI/ISEA Z87.1-2010, which is incorporated by reference, allows safety glasses with side shields. If the employer requires more then not wearing it is an OSHA violation.
It is bullshit.You can only see worth a shit through just so many pieces of cheap ass plastic.

My supervisor just came in and told me that per the safety handbook, we are required to wear safety glasses and goggles with face protection while doing any machine work. He said this was an OSHA requirement. I told him that I've been machining 34 years and never seen it. I'm going to the OSHA web sight and try to get some answers. Does anyone have any documentaion to refute this.
thanks
i_r_

I'd quit....................

I just spent the best part of the day reading OSHA bullshit. Now I'm not even sure I can DO any machining.
@#$%^&*()_+!!!!
i_r_

Pretty sure that getting out of bed, or at the very least - getting off the couch - is in violation, provided that you are employed to doo it.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Pretty sure that getting out of bed, or at the very least - getting off the couch - is in violation, provided that you are employed to doo it.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Funniest thing is that is probably not too far an exaggeration. I mean if OSHA wants to find something they can. It's like any stipulated dogma, they write enough of it, that if your smart enough you can get out of anything, and if they are bored enough they can fine you for anything.

I actually have heard the Goggles and safety glasses together thing before, so your Boss didn't just make it up. Wether you do it or not (I don't) is up to a person.

I just spent the best part of the day reading OSHA bullshit. Now I'm not even sure I can DO any machining.
@#$%^&*()_+!!!!
i_r_

That is why the smart people get it done in China. And charge extra.

The machining industry is not alone with these sorts of regulation.

You could probably say thanks to CNC and there no longer any need for huge masses of people to make things, the people who would ordinarily years ago have got a factory job, instead went and got a degree and their new occupation is now how to make things exceedingly difficult for anyone who works in and old style manual labour type occupation.

The ones who make the rules do not make rules that affect them. And once they make the initial rules, they then set out to make sure their job is safe by finding new and even more far fetched scenarios to save us all from ourselves.

I do not know what it is like in the US, but in Australia "training" is a huge industry.

I have now been "trained" in many thing across many industries. All this "training" has several things in common.

Firstly, it is expensive usually for the employer.

Secondly, it covers a lot of stuff totally irrelevant to what you are doing.

Thirdly, no one ever fails. All exams are always done as a group, with the answers given out by the instructor.

How temporary agency's work around here is you get hired, then the agency completes your forklift certification and OSHA tests and your good to go knowing nothing.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

There are OSHA rules somewhere that require full guards over a lathe chuck and also around the cutting tool in a milling machine's spindle. These are difficult to use and maintain on manual machines but CNC machines have the doors to protect your eyes.

I don't wear safety goggles when I use my machines, but I do wear glasses and they keep the swarf out of my eyes.

In general, however, it's not a bad idea to at least wear some form of eye protection. It's hard to judge depth with only one eye and those black patches are not all that romantic.

When I worked for the workers comp company, there were many eye injuries due to failure to wear eye protection but they were mainly in woodworking companies.

Like my biker friends used to say, "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye."

"Safety Glasses"? You mean when I do the squinty thing with my eyelids?

Come to think of it, I had a pair of safety glasses once - they were a terrible paperweight, so I threw them out.

osha_cowboy.jpg

I wonder if it is an OSHA violation wearing a tank top,shorts and sandals while manually milling hexes on large bolts? No safety glasses either.

I wonder if it is an OSHA violation wearing a tank top,shorts and sandals while manually milling hexes on large bolts? No safety glasses either.

The only part of this statement that bothers me is the 'manually milling hexes on large bolts'

Of course, if anyone who ever works for me has the same disregard for safety that I do, I'll probably have to fire them.

Thread seems about 10:1 in favor of machinists going blind.

I believe safety glasses with side shields (or goggles) is the requirement. I'd add surely want to add full face protection if there are hot chips, grinding debris, bits of wire wheel, acid splashes, etc. coming.

Fun story - once upon a time I needed to grind a tool bit to cut a specific contour on the lathe, so I walked over to the tool grinder and started grinding. Pretty standard operating procedure. But on this particular day, one of the office jockeys happened to escape from his corral and be wandering by, and noticed I wasn't using the proper safety equipment. Now being the chief safety officer, he proceeded to throw a fit and demand I cease and desist all activity until I had a face shield and safety glasses and the guard down on the grinder. So about five minutes later when the production manager came wandering through, he wanted to know why I was just standing in front of the grinder with it running. I told him I needed to grind a custom tool, but I hadn't figured out how to do that yet when I couldn't see the tool or grinding wheel through all the BS safety gear that the chief safety officer insisted I wear or I would be fired. He then told me to get the job done while we went and had a "talk" with the chief safety manager. Never saw him in the shop again.

Machine tools are dangerous. Nothing you can do will ever make them not dangerous. Accidents happen, and if you are going to work around machine tools, you had better be prepared to accept that some day an accident will happen to you. We take reasonable precautions to mitigate those dangers and prevent those accidents, but there is a point where you cannot make a machine any more safe and still get work done effectively.

I worked in a shop once doing fabrication where everyone had to wear hard hats because one time some idiot knocked a hammer off a machine onto another idiots head. So in an empty building with no overhead structures or hazards at all, everyone was supposed to wear hard hats. Luckily I got moved over to another empty building doing electrical work, and I decided that in my building, I didn't need a hard hat. Since I was the only one in that building, I was technically the manager, so they couldn't argue.

I worked on another job wiring overhead lighting in a warehouse off scissor lifts. Anyone more than 4 feet off the ground had to wear a safety harness with a fall arrest lanyard attached to a certified point. Unfortunately, the only certified points in the building were on the scissor lifts themselves, and we weren't allowed to attach to them because if they fell over, then they would pull down us with them (never mind that we were standing in them anyways). So their solution was to just attach the lanyard to the harness since there was no hard points available. Basically, every electrician working 20 feet off the floor was carrying their own personal tripping hazard with them. And every one tripped on their lanyards regularly, except the one guy that went out and bought a fancy retractable one. We even tried using wire ties to bundle up the lanyards so they were not hanging right at shin height, but no that would interfere with their operation so we couldn't even do that. Because, you know, just not wearing the useless, dangerous, accident prone harnesses would be against the rules.

Use appropriate PPE where appropriate, if it's interfering with your ability to do your job, it's not appropriate.

Try having to wear a fall harness because you are riding an overhead crane with no tie off points. Oh, and your job is to take data on the bearings of everything that rotates while making sure your lanyards don't get sucked into the line shaft and kill you.

Back