What's new
What's new

Resources for the relentlessly curious machinist

Forrest Addy

Diamond
I was looking for info on tapered boring apparatus and found this.

Here's lots of good material for the noob including many resources for allied trades and activities for the relentlessly curious:

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/index.htm#shop

I suggest the 9th item down "Machinist TC 9-1996" as a place for the noob to start but but don't forget to browse the other stuff.​

Bill,

I proudly spent 4 years in the USN but have no idea what a "repple-depple" is. Did I miss something in boot camp? That would have been Jan of '65.:confused:

Stuart

Forrest to the rescue

Mr. Addy has presented yet another avenue with which I can avoid housework, home repairs and honey-do lists as a part of my patriotic duty to learn and improve my skills as an all around old iron junkie. Hey its from the Navy, right. ;) Thanks Forrest :D

Bill,

I thought the implication of the previous thread was NAVY...didn't see that in your reply....must have be AWOL when that stuff was going down...maybe I was getting "REFRAD" and didn't know it!!!:crazy:

Stuart-STGN USN

Here's lots of good material for the noob including many resources for allied trades and activities for the relentlessly curious:

Navy Documents

I suggest the 9th item down "Machinist TC 9-1996" as a place for the noob to start but but don't forget to browse the other stuff.​

Great link for all, especially SWMBO because she is working hard at learning this.

Thanks Forrest.

rj

Might be the best link I've picked up since I've been here. Thank you, Forrest!

Follow the naval history links and learn something about the British Afghani wars (GM Frasier's novels will teach you the same, and in a more entertaining way, but not with much historical accuracy).

The navy's basic training manuals on tools and machines are the best around, and most are linked.

Thanks again.

Navy Documents

I've been getting payed to cut metal for 7 years now, the shop I work at "gave" me a brand new Hurco VMC, so I have a little experience. Looked at "Machinist TC 9-1996" for less than a minute and I learned something new. This link should be a sticky in forum just for noobs and those of us lookin for more & more info:) (hey mods, what do you think about a section specific to learning and training materials like this?)

Back