To school or not. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsShopLife View Post
    Jashley73, we are located in the Lake Cumberland area. Would definitely look forward to meeting you sometime!

Appreciate the responses, all very good points to consider. Just learned that there is a manufacturing institute about three hrs away that has a 16 wk program , 8hr classes Mon-Fri which I am seriously considering.

I know I've picked up enough to operate a laser without formal schooling for it, but there are still days where I wonder if I'm missing something What concerns me about schooling is I've got mixed messages from some people I know about the local colleges tech classes. Some say they're good. Others seem to think they're not up to par. And I don't want to waste my time.
    Lake Cumberland is pretty big. I grew up going to the State Park near the Dam, and am pretty familiar with the Russell Springs area. Also vaguely familiar with the Somerset area. Somerset actually has a KCTCS school with a machining program, if you're closer to the eastern part of the state. The KCTCS courses will be inexpensive, and will honestly have some pretty small class sizes. That will give you a better chance of some 1-on-1 with the instructor. But the best part of school is the actual networking. If you're outgoing, the networking will serve you well for many years.

Our Colleges

I would be suspicious about that full-time course. I would do some serious homework before investing that much time & money.

-------------------

Spock - I travel to the Mt. Vernon/Somerset area for work semi-frequently.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well today was first day of class at the eKentucky Advanced Manufacturing Institute. If all goes well should be completed in 16 weeks with 8 NIMS certifications.

eKentucky Advanced Manufacturing Institute East Kentucky Advanced Manufacturing Insitute