What's new
What's new

Shop floor Music and Headphones - legal?!

THCustoms

Aluminum
Hey fellas

Yesterday, my colleague turned up with a brand new set of wireless BEATS headphone. He now listen to his favorite Pop Top music off his phone while operating the shop/machines. Its loud, I can hear the music from 10 meter away... and I swear I saw his hips moving also loll

1) I am sooo jealous about this new headset (I want some!). I got a similar looking set but NO music comes out of mine (i.e. ear protection only).

2) I don't think its a good idea considering all the random noises that machines or other colleagues does around.

I've actually gently mentioned to him but he gave me that (f off) look. What's the policy about that in your shops?

Thanks

I don't allow them. My theory being that a good machinist uses all of their senses. I also don't like having to tap someone on the shoulder to get their attention.

They're beats, let him wear them. He's proven he's deaf already if he can't hear they're crap.

Seriously though it depends on the job, gravy work sure but if you should be paying attention get those things out of your ears and pay the fk attention. I know locally guys can have personal radios but then you just get into a volume battle with your neighbours.

Love music but I think they're dangerous because they isolate your from your surroundings. You need to be aware of everything going on in a shop at all times. You can also destroy your hearing very quickly with 'phones up loud and most everybody runs them way too loud.

hmmm, thanks guys, says it all I think

I'll go confiscate those Beats tomorrow morning (and keep them for myself, mouhaha)

I had beats wireless noise canceling ones wore them for a year, the plastic is shit they broke. I moved on to sony non noise canceling headphones. The ear ************ cuts down on the noise. I listen to whatever just loud enough to hear and pull them off on sketchy cuts. Like everything you just have to be smart then the equipment. Take them off when needed, lower the volume to hear the other stuff going on around you. No need to feel every cut on the inside of your head or musical note.

Depends on your environment. Busy shop, running back and forth, keeping an ear on one machine while you setup the next, cranes overhead, guy next to you running a 10 ton casting in a sketchy setup? Probably not the best place to wear headphones (though some people can do it successfully, not all can). This is why headphones of any sort are banned on the shop floor where I am. But, when I worked in our prototype/R&D department, headphones were ok, because I was almost always only running one machine, it was usually a manual where you can see/hear/feel the cut as long as your music is left at a reasonable volume, it was a low production, low stress (usually) environment, and everyone who works in there (including me, even though I was just an apprentice) was trusted to be professional enough to have the good judgement to know when headphones were acceptable, and when they were not.

Doesn't help that the point of wearing muffs is for hearing protection when you can hear them 10 meters away while equipment is running - they're only making things worse. He probably already has tinnitus(I do and it sucks)

I'm good with the guys wearing ear buds or a bluetooth as long as they only have them in one ear. I want them to be able to hear whats going on at all times.

If this is real shop with "osha type" rules (your location is canada eh ?)

IIRC you'll have problems hearing the fire alarm in case of a fire.

We have areas with deaf people (at work) and have to retrofit the fire alarms
to include flashing strobes.

It may come to this in your case, if your associate won't stop.

Problem is one guy wears a headset, keeps volume low enough so that he CAN hear machines, people etc AND enjoy the Tunes He likes; BUT the problem comes in when the next guy turns up the volume a bit on his most favorite Tune in the entire world...then forgets to lower volume on next song. Then he's standing there with machine not running cause he didn't hear it stopped making noise...or didn't hear the beeping or didn't hear the pilot drill go crunch, or the big drill that followed the pilot drill or the endmill that interpolated after the big hole was not drilled. He doesn't hear the guy a machine over that needs a hand.

No headphones unless its a job like deburing by hand or something really removed from a machine shop.
Ear plugs or muffs are fine...you can still hear with them on.

Music in shop...nothing leaning heavy in any particular direction, must be low enough so all machines can still be heard, low enough so music can be ignored on jobs requiring attention AND any additional radios people find a need to have MUST be tuned to the same station. One, I am not going to have music wars AND I hate listening to two stations...drives ME NUTS...almost as bad as static.

I would be tempted to cut his pay by 20%, You hire people for their 5 senses, and are only getting 4... I also hate tapping someone on the shoulder to get their attention.

I also hate tapping someone on the shoulder to get their attention.

Infuriating...isn't it.

Followed by an even more infuriating talk as you put an end to the headphones with the "Why, it wasn't loud, I'll make it lower, I'll, I'll...

Then suddenly I am the bad guy...and for what? Trying to be nice...give an inch they want a mile, say no to a mile and they are pissed.

Easier to let them be a little pissed right off the bat with a Straight out No. It's company policy, insurance reasons.

I would be tempted to cut his pay by 20%, You hire people for their 5 senses, and are only getting 4...
A friend I used to work with used to "taste test" a bar of material to check it's composition when hanging around with the noobies. Lick. Yep, that is 4140 for sure. He said the really hard to cut materials like Inco718 had a tangy taste. :D

Music in the shop - always touchy because one bad apple ruins the whole bunch.

Maybe this is one of those cases where it's best to have a written rule banning them, but turning a blind-eye when those being reasonable don't abuse it, is best? (I can't believe I'm saying that...)

The music wars with radios are one of the most annoying, unproductive things I think I've seen in shops. Guys spending more effort on making sure they can hear their music, than paying attention to the job.

There is also a legit safety concern when someone has headphones in/on, and can't hear the fire alarm, a verbal warning of danger - someone shouting "Watch out!" or when driving a forklift, etc... There's a legit working concern, when they can't hear the machine running like crap, or someone who can't get their attention verbally. Even worse, is when the "easily spooked" guy is wearing headphones, and there's no way to get his attention other than grabbing him or tapping his shoulder, causing the "spook" reaction...

If music at a reasonable level helps them work better and get through the day happier & more productively without being a nuisance to everyone else, then little harm there. I picture a guy with a quiet radio on his workbench, or the lone guy in the EDM room, etc...

But, the bottom line is you're paying them to do the job... If the music gets in the way of that, then do what you gotta do.

I'm good with the guys wearing ear buds or a bluetooth as long as they only have them in one ear. I want them to be able to hear whats going on at all times.

That is our exact policy. Seems to work ok for the most part. Thing that aggravates me now, is them constantly looking for the song they want to listed to.

I wear ear buds all day every day. If I need to get a better feel on the noise I might pop one out for a quick listen. It's a small shop and I'm in charge of my machines and the parts they make.

If someone needs my attention it is because they are seeking my opinion on something, not to tell me to do something differently. Big difference.

It's loud in the shop and if I wasn't listening to music I would be wearing ear plugs anyway. I don't mind if people wear them but if it affects their performance they'll lose it. Hasn't happened yet.

I enjoy listening to music and I operate better that way. I can't quantify it but when I'm rocking out so are the machines.

we used to be allowed to wear them in our shop but safety put the stop to that. They claimed that headphones can go above 100db on their own and it could result in hearing loss. in the shop they do not require us to where earplugs but out in the plant we must wear plugs. also from another safety concern if they were in and turned on even at reasonable levels you might not hear the machines or your fellow co workers to help them if they needed it.

Personal radios are ok as long as volume and content do not offend anyone. We have big VP's and execs come through the shop all the time so rap or liquid metal probably are not the best thing to be playing with a 6 figure earner walks through the shop to show of the millions of dollars worth of equipment.

Company policy is "no music allowed on the shop floor" and I agree.

Once you have more than one person listening to "their" music in any fashion it is too much distraction and drama.

An across the board, one size fits all "NO" is usually best.

As much as I love to listen to music while I work, it stays at my desk on low volume.

(I currently have, almost, everything Robin Trower has done queued in WinAmp)

(And yes, I know that "low volume" is not the proper way to listen to Trower, but sometimes you have to settle ...)

Back