What's new
What's new

Shop Sink Towels--What A Good Option

munruh

Hot Rolled
What's a good option for the sink towels in our smaller location? 3-4 guys working and washing at break, lunch and when they leave. I don't have a rag service coming so can't go with the roll up cloth towel although I like those. I'm thinking something disposable, but there are so many options. So many public restrooms have those dispensers that give out one little paper napkin and that's hardly enough.

Admin--Please Delete

I dunno, i think it's a valid question, in the proper sub-forum.

The motion sensing dispensers do give you a small piece, I just
wave a couple of times, to get a couple of pieces.

I'd rather not be cranking or pulling on something with clean wet hands.

Why delete? Got scared after reading some other posts here? Can't blame you...

But yeah, I'd like to see what others do too.

Years ago, I spent time in a European country. Each guy in the shop got his own hook and towel. I don't know how they were cleaned, but it would be a nice touch as an owner to wash them every week or so. Have 2 sets so there's overlap. I can't see this being expensive. Just make sure the guys take care of them and only use to dry clean hands. Maybe this is wishful thinking.

The 800 lb Gorilla in the room is the new "Blow your eardrums out, and
splatter your pants and the wall" air dryers......:crazy:

Was in a shop that installed a couple of different ones (for testing),
the best one by far (quiet) is the Dyson air blade.

I was in the locker room at a large company and they had large round sinks, you know the ones. There were 4 strong air dryers mounted above each sink. The dyer blew the water off your hands and right into the sink. I thought it was damn clever. I hate the hand dryer mounted on the wall that blows like an asthmatic through a coffee stirrer and leaves a puddle on the floor.

Agreed

The 800 lb Gorilla in the room is the new "Blow your eardrums out, and
splatter your pants and the wall" air dryers......:crazy:

Was in a shop that installed a couple of different ones (for testing),
the best one by far (quiet) is the Dyson air blade.
I agree about the dyson

Blower style hand dryers may not be a great option when it comes to controlling viruses (and likely bacteria): Do Jet Hand Dryers Really Spread More Germs Than Paper Towels? | Popular Science

From a cleanliness standpoint, I'd go with disposable paper towels, but it's got the drawbacks of trash buildup and cost.

Kind of a flaky study IMO. People are supposed to wash viruses off their hands with soap and water, then present a relatively clean pair of hands to the dryer. The study had people dip their hands in a vat of trackable virus, then either wipe them off or blow them around. No surprise they went further when blown around.

That said, I also prefer paper towels -- and a small shop can use cheap rolls from whatever source (Costco, Walmart . . .) that prices a decent brand right.

Even the Dyson air blade doesn't completely dry all that well and (unlike paper towels) you wouldn't want to blow your nose with it in a pinch, scrub some grease, blot a cut, clean a spill . . . The air blade makes sense with scores of users in a public restroom, many who think towels dropped on the floor or taken back to their car are just fine. Not so much for a small shop, IMO.

Doesn't hurt to have both . . .

I was in the locker room at a large company and they had large round sinks, you know the ones. There were 4 strong air dryers mounted above each sink. The dyer blew the water off your hands and right into the sink. I thought it was damn clever. I hate the hand dryer mounted on the wall that blows like an asthmatic through a coffee stirrer and leaves a puddle on the floor.

And there you have it. Air dryers that actually WORK do exist. Yah just do not find them on the wall in restaurants or gas stations is all.

Next up is the motion-sensor brown paper, and "both" is a good idea.

Folks will adapt, "economize" well-enough to their actual needs. Face, head, hair, ears, and back of the neck with an air blast? Not on MY dance-card, thanks.

Paper is nice if you need to wash a splash of oil off your face before you leave. Drying your face with a blower is not fun :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Disposable paper every time, less change of bugs and diseases - like dermatitis (that only needs one carrier - who probably won't know he is, ...to infect a whole shop.) being spread.

That said, shop carefully, a lot of janitorial services etc etc etc are a grade 1 rip off.

I agree with the disposable paper, however in most shops, there
is a large "roughneck" trash bin filled to overflowing with the used
paper towels, right next to the door.

A fire hazard that is very real.

So maybe the answer is paper towel and a dyson air blast machine.

For every time the dyson is used, that's that much less paper towel to buy, store,
dispense & dispose of, yet when really needed, the paper towel is available.

We have a washer and dryer. Each employee has their two of their own color full size bath towels. We usually bleach them so they are now all just pastel. At the time the checkout person made an odd comment that didn't make sense until I realized it was a full rainbow of colors. Haha

I buy these at Sam's club;

0004200021174_A.jpg

they're dirt cheap, work decent, and the way the dispenser works, you only touch the towel you're taking.
Still have the problem with the perpetually overflowing trash can. Maybe try tying up a goat next to it?

We have a washer and dryer. Each employee has their two of their own color full size bath towels. We usually bleach them so they are now all just pastel. At the time the checkout person made an odd comment that didn't make sense until I realized it was a full rainbow of colors. Haha
??

?? :willy_nilly:

We use Costco paper towels. They are perforated in half sheets, so you can be more selective in how much paper you use at each grab. I put 2 holders up next to the sink, and a little sign saying to use the top roll until it's gone then move the bottom roll to the top holder and get a new roll out of the pack and install it on the bottom holder. Magically, we are now never out of towels when you need one. Trash bin is directly below the towel roll, we don't have an overflow problem, I must have all adults here. I do understand the problem if you don't - that's an epidemic.

I put 2 holders up next to the sink, and a little sign saying to use the top roll until it's gone then move the bottom roll to the top holder and get a new roll out of the pack and install it on the bottom holder. Magically, we are now never out of towels when you need one.

Now that's a hoot! 'bout 400 years ago the company had twin bum-fodder roll dispensers in the stalls. Absent-minded air-head of an Engineering VP didn't take note that both were near-as-dammit empty, move one stall over before committing, and embarrassed hiself one day.

Executive VP next spots VP Eng personally going from one stall to the next - ladies loo, IBEW side of the demising wall included.

Sniffing "Bargaining Unit" toilet seats, maybe?

Nah. Cheap-ass one-letter-at-a-time Dymo label maker in hand, VP Eng is personally making and applying "please use the small roll first" white-on-blue stickers to every stall under-roof.

Exec VP? "Always WONDERED what my predecessors had been paying that idiot to do. Glad to see we've finally found a job for him he can actually handle!"

:)

Back