What's new
What's new

Shops that are hiring allot of people, what is going on ?

DDoug

Diamond
Truck-lite.com

Is an well known maker of ...well...Truck lights.

Recent ad in the local paper is looking for
engineers, systems engineers, q.c. people, tooling people
global controller, finance manager, supervisors, director of
quality, etc.

and then at the bottom, a wide open "assemblers and forklift drivers"

While the assemblers and forklift drivers sound like a low paying
job with high turnaround, all the upper level stuff sounds like
someone "cleaned house" or is re-organizing seriously.

What do you make of this ?

I could see a military vendor ramping up with the award of a contract to supply,
but I don't think that is the case here.

Would you leave a good job to go here ? seeing the large amount of hiring going on ?

Truck-lite.com

Is an well known maker of ...well...Truck lights.

Recent ad in the local paper is looking for
engineers, systems engineers, q.c. people, tooling people
global controller, finance manager, supervisors, director of
quality, etc.

and then at the bottom, a wide open "assemblers and forklift drivers"

While the assemblers and forklift drivers sound like a low paying
job with high turnaround, all the upper level stuff sounds like
someone "cleaned house" or is re-organizing seriously.

What do you make of this ? We have probably all seen this
before.

Sounds like they cleaned out the old mentality of workers and are replacing them with fresh ideas and attitudes. A lot of shops have that problem where they have that old school hard headed mentality lingering around. Not good for growth. A fresh start! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends if my present job required me to ask, "Do you want fries with that, sir?"
When they ask me "Do you want to supersize that ?" I say no thanks, and you can keep your damned crappy hamburger. Good bye.

Sick of that high-pressure shit :D

hiring

my employer has been looking for people if nothing else people retire or leave after years and they have been looking to hire for years.
i just got another pay raise yesterday and thats is addition to pay raise in April. usually that means they are accepting they have to raise pay to keep people and to hire more new people need to offer more pay.
when shop full of older employees that means many will retire every year. shop has to hire people just to keep up with people who retire.

I think..
They - the company- got VC money or had saved major cash.
A new top-level guy came in.

This is usually very good- depending on the new guy.

If he is of the type-of biz. builders/developers then it is excellent.
-Everyone works more hours (harder),
-most get significantly more pay in consequence due to more skills (great!),
-gets more trained/productive crew with new/better equipment,
-company makes much more money.

*MO. ME.
Nothing wrong with working harder, or more, or some nights, Saturdays, whatever, at 100% extra pay.
A great nr, high %%, of people are perfectly happy to work extra, harder, longer days, weekends, whatever- WHEN IT IS optional and suitably compensated. I did very happily- when I was young.*

Any major expansion/change usually fails.
Most mergers fail.
Most new companies fail.
But a new-guy manager who has succeeded before, pays well, invests and uses new tech, in any venture, is pretty likely, very likely, to succeed again.
It is totally immaterial what the new guy did before- by stats.

And mostly, almost-all of the really great benefits/profits come from managers who never did anything in the industry before, and have No Clue- but listen, promote, Pay, Succeed.
I know 3-6 people like that.
Imo, No Matter What, they would make lots more money/profit for the company (or any company), while getting workers better "stuff" of whatever is needed.
All the guys I think of are millionaires, and made their money themselves, sometimes after adversity.
Some are friends.

Those are the stats.
Need/want to include a personal plug.
I have done the same-type-of growth 4-6 times in multiple countries and industries and languages.
My areas were PCs, (lan), (IT consulting), RAS servers for telecom operators, IP network operator, cnc machine tools.
All sorts of gigs on the side.
So my posts and experiences are based on M$+ stuff in many places, over 25 years.
YMMV.

My point:
IF it is a company one (You) wants to work with, and it looks credible long-term, go for it. Run.
In the US longevity is unknown today.
Lots of newly-funded VC cash-rich companies fail in 2 years. Perhaps having used/acquired a main-stream biz in between.
Is it negative to have worked for them ? (Imho no, positive.)
Did You make more money ? (probably, often a lot more, for those who planned/studied well in advance and also got very lucky.)

My suggestion:
GO for the growth company.
Aim for training, and more training in diverse areas-if possible.
Usually it can be done, even though theoretically not.

Aim for max international, language, technical skills.
These will always be in demand- and You will always have less competition.

some companies come out with a new product and are setting up a new building with production line equipment to make the new product
i have often seen companies hiring a 100 people to make a new product. most companies only plan 5 years at a time. not unusual for after 5 years a production line is shut down.
i have seen company lay off 500 and at same time setup a new production line looking to hire 100 people. you should try applying for job where 50 other people applied for the same job.

He's definitely creating a lot of work for our border guards and immigration workers up here...(his predecessor's fault really) but who knew stuff could "drain" upward...

Good to hear of a few companies hiring and/or changing blood for the better though, lots of places need that.

Haa! That's similar to my favorite quote from a liberal friend that said "ever since the last November business has been booming. I don't get it."

Where? Not around here. I was working inside a company that makes mining equipment last week. It was like a ghost town.

Back