What's new
What's new

As A Small Business, Can I Directly E-File 941 Reports?

alphonso

Titanium
I have wasted the weekend trying to figure out if i can e-file my 941 reports directly. The IRS site says "e-file your reports" but i can't seem to find any way to do it. The only thing I find is that I have to use an "approved filing agent, who may charge a fee". WTF?

How are y'all handling your 941s?

I haven't had to do them in a while.

I always used the touch tone system to report, and gave the check to my bank.

Use EFTPS, print a hard copy of the deposit confirmation and staple the sucker into your journal along with a printout of the (QuickBooks in our case) "payroll liabilities" summary for that week.

If its your first time that you're over $2500 it says on there that you can snail mail it, I did mine because I didn't realize it would take a week to get onto the EFTPS website. After that, use the EFTPS to pay.

After spending a few more hours today trying to make sense of it all , I've come to the conclusion that the IRS site is beyond fucked up. It's like they don't want you to know what you owe so they can come back and penalize the shit out of you for not paying the correct amount on time.

I'm beginning to understand why my accountant hates the IRS so much.

I'm not sure if it's still so, but a few years ago I did a search on the IRS website for "1040", and it came back "no results found".

My bank stopped taking the paper 941 about 5 years ago, so I had to switch to EFTPS. I don't recall it taking any special amount of effort to get enrolled on their website. I also pay my estimated payments and final payments for company form 1120 taxes on the EFTPS site.

Now I'm with oldwrench and let quickbooks handle the federal. QB won't handle the state of Kansas, so I have to log on to their website separately.

My shop is small, just 2 employees. I do all of my Federal payroll payments and filings electronically through Quickbooks. It took a while to get it all set up, but once I did, everything after that was easy. My monthly withholding payments take about 10 seconds to do. Quarterly filings take a few minutes.

Back