What's new
What's new

smoking and tobacco chew in the shop?

oldbikerdude37

Titanium
I know its stinky, messy and down right sick? Also there are laws in many states.

Some punks might spit a big wad of snoose on the floor or some bozo use the lathe chip pan for his cigarette butts.

Where do you stand as the boss?

You may not be as eloquent as I, but a guy was in my shop a few years ago chewing Copenbarfin Snuff. He spit on the floor. I got pissed. He wondered what the big deal was. It's just a shop. I politely told him, "Get the F#%K out of my shop, you scumbag piece of crap! He's never been back. My brother couldn't stop laughing.

Nothing in my shop, the 3 of us don't do it.

Did have some regular customers stop by and "deposit".

A few polite words a couple of times, no longer a issue.

You may not be as eloquent as I, but a guy was in my shop a few years ago chewing Copenbarfin Snuff. He spit on the floor. I got pissed. He wondered what the big deal was. It's just a shop. I politely told him, "Get the F#%K out of my shop, you scumbag piece of crap! He's never been back. My brother couldn't stop laughing.

No sir I would mop the floor with mister spitter. might have to start machining implants for teeth so dumb people can smile again.

LOL im sure some you guys would get pissed if a person spit on your shop floor. the fight would be on.

In Colorado you can't smoke in the workplace. The thought was that second hand smoke was bad for people. Of course you can breath brake dust, coolant mist and cleaning solvent, but a cigarette, nope. If you are going to have a workplace pollutant, regulate it as such IMHO.

That said, I am a smoker. Tobacco is a scourge, making smoking expensive and inconvenient is good for the nation, probably good enough to be worth the loss of personal freedom.

I sure do miss smoking while programming though.:smoking::smoking::smoking:

On a side note you can get "medical" marijuana here, so when you go to an indoor concert you smell dope, but people are sneaking cigarettes. WTF!

The OP was asking about actual regulations and other than the smoking ban in public buildings, I don't know of any. That being said, I do not have written policy on it but tell everyone it is NOT allowed. I chew from time to time when no one is in the shop but I am responsible about it. I don't want it to grow any further than that. Smoking is a HELL no and to be right honest, I will not even hire a smoker. I don't wish to get into a debate over it but I take a firm position on the issue.

Non smoking here. Chew hasn't been a problem, if it becomes one it will be banned.

I am a smoker at home, and I chew at work.

I spit in my little paper cup with floor dry in the bottom of it :), not in the cans or in the coolant or on the floor. :ack2: Or in QC. I worked in a shop where we could smoke while working, man that was great!!

Robert

You know you're an old smoker if:

You've sat in the smoking section of an airplane.
You've found your cig burning where you set it down on the bedways of the big lathe (so you kill the one you just lit up.)
You swept up the butts off the floor around the machines.
You couldn't read the mic because of the smoke in your eyes.
No one batted an eyelash at you for smoking in the supermarket.
You didn't sit in the smoking section of the restaurant...because it's OK to smoke anywhere in the place.

I quit over a year ago for the second time. I still miss those days. ;)

I have one employee who smokes - he is a hard worker and takes his breaks out in the parking lot. No cigarette butts so far - he knows he needs to keep his habit from making the place look like a bus stop.

My shop manager chews and I occasionally see a paper cup that he spits into sitting on the edge of his desk. He too knows that it can't be allowed to create a mess in the shop.

One of my former employees used to smoke - he'd get sick a few times a year and I thought he was going to cough up a lung. It ain't healthy.

When interviewing folks - smoking is definitely a strike against the person - but if on balance they have a good work ethic, the right skills and good references - we will give them a shot.

I used to smoke, and don't anymore. What I miss about smoking is those brown, nutlike morsels that I used to hawk up and roll around my tongue.

I admire those men who put a small finger of Copenhagen in their lip, and can go and sit in Masonic Lodge or church without spitting. Those people are at the very top of class act in my book. The rest of you who chew and spit in a paper cup (gag) are unsanitary wusses and should give up the habit, and let those who know how to chew and can chew properly chew.

Lord Byron

Smoking isn't allowed in the workplace in my state, and we were a non-smoking shop before that law went into effect.

Since I'm a small business, I don't have a break buzzer or anything and my "smoker" seems to take longer and longer breaks every day getting his fix. The other day, when Captdave came out of his way to spend some time with us explaining our Mazak control, "smokey" still had to leave in the middle of the lesson so he could get his fix, which I thought was rather rude. He couldn't wait.

I have to agree that a non-smoker would be higher on my list of new hires in the future.

I am an ex-chain smoker..........3 packs a day for 25 years.

Frank

You know you're an old smoker if:

You've sat in the smoking section of an airplane.
You've found your cig burning where you set it down on the bedways of the big lathe (so you kill the one you just lit up.)
You swept up the butts off the floor around the machines.
You couldn't read the mic because of the smoke in your eyes.
No one batted an eyelash at you for smoking in the supermarket.
You didn't sit in the smoking section of the restaurant...because it's OK to smoke anywhere in the place.

I quit over a year ago for the second time. I still miss those days. ;)

About 40yrs ago my grand-ma was told by the Doctor to start smoking to reduce her stress.

I am an ex-chain smoker..........3 packs a day for 25 years.

Frank

I'm an ex smoker as well, 1 pack a day for 10 years. Fortunately, none of my five full time employees smoke or chew. I do have one guy that works on a contract basis when I'm really busy, and he's a smoker, but he knows what he is doing on a mill and a lathe, so I let it go. I have yet to find one cigarette butt anywhere in my shop other than in the trash cans, so it's tolerable.

I really look down on smokers. Why... because buttsuckers feel like its their own free will to throw there butt on the ground just about anywhere. Pull up to a stop sign and look all around you. Butts piled up and laying all over the place. Look around just about anywhere. Butts all over the ground. How many fires get started by some dumbass who flicks his butt out his car window. I'd like to see cops ticket butt-flickers for littering.

Yet... ask any butt-sucker if he flicks his butts... "no... I use a butt can or put them in an ashtray..." Uhhh, yea OK. :rolleyes5: :angry:

Where do all these butts come from? If smokers where responsible then I really wouldn't give two shits whether anyone smoked or not. But smokers as a group are irresponsible, and to that end I encourage higher taxes on cigarettes.

Or better yet, I have something to satisfy their oral fixation... :cheers:

I knew i would be a minority in this department, but i burn cigars all day. It's only me in my shop, but i don't see an issue with it as long as people are responsible about the butts and stuff. It's a machine shop, not church.

I'm an ex-smoker, almost 2 yrs. Pretty proud of that fact.

morsetaper2,
Hows that god complex been working for you so far? Pretty good?? Hmm?
Nice
Oh, your last statement, well, no thanks, I'm not gay

Dave

I really look down on smokers. Why... because buttsuckers feel like its their own free will to throw there butt on the ground just about anywhere. Pull up to a stop sign and look all around you. Butts piled up and laying all over the place. Look around just about anywhere. Butts all over the ground. How many fires get started by some dumbass who flicks his butt out his car window. I'd like to see cops ticket butt-flickers for littering.

Yet... ask any butt-sucker if he flicks his butts... "no... I use a butt can or put them in an ashtray..." Uhhh, yea OK. :rolleyes5: :angry:

Where do all these butts come from? If smokers where responsible then I really wouldn't give two shits whether anyone smoked or not. But smokers as a group are irresponsible, and to that end I encourage higher taxes on cigarettes.

Or better yet, I have something to satisfy their oral fixation... :cheers:

Back