What's new
What's new

Source for less than package quantitiy of Iscar inserts

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 10,348
G

I thought MSC sold less than package quantity, not on inserts for tool holder #2301576 anyway. Even from Carbide Depot they are $25 each in packages of 10 & I want to buy two sizes. I am not sure they will work so I just want to buy a couple, not $500 worth. Nothing on E-bay, any reputable tool supply on the internet selling less than a full package? Also I don't consume enough tooling to beg a free sample out of anyone. I had no luck searching this site.

This is where the Iscar Rep, when properly motivated, should step up to the plate.

One of the best reps I ever had, used to offer up little GTO's like that for me, so I wouldn't have to buy a full 10 pk. to try out 1 insert.
Of course, I had given him a case of .40 cal, Hydrashock, reloads, that were free to me.
It's too bad he left to go to another tooling company. (One that I don't purchase from....)

You might want to try Amazon...... You never know what will show up there.

Doug.

I live in an area where sourcing machine shop supplies is a real PITA. Even chain outfits like Graingers & Fastenal (I hate them both) don't stock squat in the local (50 mile drive) branches like they do in other states.
Bullets on the other hand are as easy to get as candy. You can buy ammo and guns from convenience stores.

I live in an area where sourcing machine shop supplies is a real PITA. Even chain outfits like Graingers & Fastenal (I hate them both) don't stock squat in the local (50 mile drive) branches like they do in other states.
Bullets on the other hand are as easy to get as candy. You can buy ammo and guns from convenience stores.
Hemly hardware (1/4 mile down the road from Hemly tool) sells ammo & Tannerite.....:D

My Blackhawk rep is happy to sell me less than packages of inserts, although I have not taken him up on it he has made it clear that they are available to me. Maybe see if they serve your area?

You might want to try Amazon...... You never know what will show up there.

Doug.

Thanks, there were people selling individual cut-off inserts at list plus $10 and $10 shipping, just not the ones I wanted to try, there were a couple dozen varieties.

It may or may not work as well for you, because my company is a fairly large spend account, but having an MSC rep set up to stop in to your place (if available in your location) every once in a while could be a great benefit for situations like this. I probably have 5K+ worth of tooling sitting on my desk right now on "test", including two different grades of grooving insert from Seco, both in a two piece pack. I pick something out in the catalog, tell my MSC rep that I want to test that, if it works well then we'll purchase the setup, inserts, etc. He always gets it and he always gets it fast. Obviously if it's a preferred supplier, and Iscar is, it goes a little smoother.

I can't say I'm a big fan of some of the shit MSC pulls, but when it comes to getting you the stuff you want, when you want it, I can say that this is a case where their reach definitely does not exceed their grasp.

It may or may not work as well for you, because my company is a fairly large spend account, but having an MSC rep set up to stop in to your place (if available in your location) every once in a while could be a great benefit for situations like this. I probably have 5K+ worth of tooling sitting on my desk right now on "test", including two different grades of grooving insert from Seco, both in a two piece pack. I pick something out in the catalog, tell my MSC rep that I want to test that, if it works well then we'll purchase the setup, inserts, etc. He always gets it and he always gets it fast. Obviously if it's a preferred supplier, and Iscar is, it goes a little smoother.

I can't say I'm a big fan of some of the shit MSC pulls, but when it comes to getting you the stuff you want, when you want it, I can say that this is a case where their reach definitely does not exceed their grasp.

I am small and well off the beaten path, plus $5k is probably my tooling budget for 2 years. Aluminum, brass,and plastic are 90% of what I run, so I don't use a lot of tooling. I am also not a fan of MSC. I never even used them till they bought out Rutland. When they bought out my local Rutland store when I lived on the left coast they lowered the inventory and raised prices 25% across the board.

I even started looking at other brands and couldn't find anything similar, the 15 degree angle across the top face makes it rare along with being available in sizes as small as 1mm in width. I have to admit Sandvik has to be the worst as far as having a crappy website, what a joke. I never liked looking up inserts, drives me nuts.

Travers sells some by their onesie twosies, not sure if they have what you need though or if there is a crossover.

JR

Thanks but no luck, nothing in the series I was looking for.

I thought MSC sold less than package quantity, not on inserts for tool holder #2301576 anyway. Even from Carbide Depot they are $25 each in packages of 10 & I want to buy two sizes. I am not sure they will work so I just want to buy a couple, not $500 worth. Nothing on E-bay, any reputable tool supply on the internet selling less than a full package? Also I don't consume enough tooling to beg a free sample out of anyone. I had no luck searching this site.

some places charge $200. just to fill out the paperwork on the purchase order. most likely if you buy over $10,000. in stuff you might get a few free to try inserts.
not many places even willing to talk to you for less than a $1000. order.
i remember wanting to buy a alloy and was told $200 to fill out paperwork and it was $250 a ton for a pallet load. how much for a 5 gallon bucket worth ? $450 same price. didnt matter if i wanted a small container or a pallet load it was same price

did you just look at the website list ?

I would call them on the phone.

Just went to website using the search box and drop down boxes, nothing even in the neighborhood of the Iscar DGTR style holders or the DGR inserts. I just figured they don't carry that product line.

Maybe thinking too far out the box but why not buy and you sell what you don't need? With a nice profit of course for your "investment".

Maybe thinking too far out the box but why not buy and you sell what you don't need? With a nice profit of course for your "investment".

They are pretty specialized and it looks like no other tool manufacturers makes a similar product. If they don't work for my application the end result will be the destruction of the tool holder, also I have to alter the tool holder to get it to work on my machine. I don't think it would be easy to sell a specialized product if I can't list it along with it's tool holder on Ebay.

Daulkit - At my last shop I worked in, I remember our Iscar rep telling us that they wouldn't even let the sales reps get broken insert packs for test. So that may be why you're not having any luck in finding less than package quantities.

Do you already have a toolholder, and thus are locked into the Iscar inserts? If not, would you be willing to consider other brands?

Back