What's new
What's new

Source For Resharping Carbide Drills

munruh

Hot Rolled
I am looking for a place I can send a bunch of solid carbide drills for resharp. I really don't know of a place that does it. I checked one place in Michigan once...Anybody know of a place I can just send them to and they will resharp and coat and send them back?

Really? You can't find a tool grinder in all of Kansas? What brand of drills are they? You can usually send them back to the mfg. (although not the best way to go)

Reif Carbide Tool, Ask for Jim Dennis, tell him Ken from NY Sent you.

Reif Carbide Tool Company, Inc
Address: 11055 E 9 Mile Rd, Warren, MI 48090
Phone: (586) 754-1890

I send em back to the manufacturer. It's usually about 1/2 the cost of a new drill. Less if it's a big one, although I go indexable or replaceable tip on the big ones.

If I can't easily justify the cost, then I ask myself why I'm using a carbide drill to begin with, and not HSS. Carbide drilling is one of the most sensitive operations. Get it right, and it purrs through hundreds if not thousands of holes. Get it wrong and it blows up and destroys your workpiece after a few dozen.

Reif Carbide Tool, Ask for Jim Dennis, tell him Ken from NY Sent you.

Reif Carbide Tool Company, Inc
Address: 11055 E 9 Mile Rd, Warren, MI 48090
Phone: (586) 754-1890

Right next to Cutmore Tool where I started grinding back in the 60s.. now I think out of business.
likely after that many years they, Reif can sharpen carbide drills..

Other top shop is "Special Drill and Reamer" another Michigan shop for manufacturing special cutting tools.
Tell them what machine, material and the needed specs and thy will design and build a cutting tool that will work.
Yes they can make standards also...

OT:
Anyone sending out reamers for sharpening? For what price? I could resharpen reamers for 1/4 new if I was not retired. Not looking for work but just asking...Could use the Cincy#2, Ko Lee or the B&S 13 grinder (it would be slow for that job.)

Cincy #2 is perhaps the fastest machine for many/most sharpening jobs. The non tilt head is faster than the tilt head for much work.

Back