What's new
What's new

Stand Up Computer Station Desks in Shop, What Kind?

munruh

Hot Rolled
We are needing to put a couple of computer stations in the shop where employees clock in and out. What can we use for some economical stands to set these on. They do not need to be the enclosed glass cases I see in some big shops. Thank you.

How much do you need to support?

I presume it needs a monitor (which I would try to mount on a wall or pole).
And I presume it needs a keyboard and mouse. So that would require a shelf about 8" deep about 30" wide.
Then maybe a CPU? So what would be a shelf underneath about 6" deep and 18" wide.

I'd probably make all this myself. All the computer workstations I see in catalogs usually require too much floor space than I want to allocate. I'd personally try to put a touch screen monitor on the wall by the door.

I put mine on two filing cabinets and then put a kitchen counter that was for sale at Menards (hardware store chain here in MidWest). Height worked out just right for me (I'm 6'1")

If you get one of those slant-top "foreman's" desks, it'll be the right height, and no one will sit their coffee down on it. A ledge will keep the keyboard on, and a cable clamp will keep the mouse from sliding off. Probably $40 at your next area auction...

Chip

We are needing to put a couple of computer stations in the shop where employees clock in and out. What can we use for some economical stands to set these on. They do not need to be the enclosed glass cases I see in some big shops. Thank you.

One of the shops i consult at uses a Windows tablet mounted on the wall. Not sure what you use for your clock in/out system, but there are many that are network based. So a tablet connected to the wireless network is sufficient for that.

Easy, cheap, looks modern. Uses next to no electricity. Get a few of them and mount them around the shop. By the exit, in the lunch room, etc.

Let me know if you want more details.

-Adam

I found an old engine analyzer platform someone used for a rolling tool box on Craig's list where I put one of my laptops next to my machine. it's sole function is to access my server and feed programs to the machine.
I seem to have attached a duplicate.. not sure how it did it.. :/

Attachments

• 20161026_162650.jpg
    20161026_162650.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 199
  • machine&computerstand.jpg
    machine&computerstand.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 154
I found an old engine analyzer platform someone used for a rolling tool box on Craig's list where I put one of my laptops next to my machine. it's sole function is to access my server and feed programs to the machine.
I seem to have attached a duplicate.. not sure how it did it.. :/

looks good

Back