What's new
What's new

Starting your own shop what would you do different?

inwoodcutter

Cast Iron
So my brother and I have embarked on this journey inbusiness ownership. We’ve known since we were young teenagers that we wanted to work for ourselves/owna shop but the vision and path has changed over the years. Right now we’rethrough the front door of being a real shop. We officially became WAMCO LLC in 2009. Both working part time to knock stuff out. Now we are both in our early 30's. He just went full time in June of ’15at the machine shop. And has been able to stay afloat. I still have a day jobas an engineer, but split the rest of my time at the machine shop or working inthe millwork (woodwork) shop. I’m hoping to walk away from the day job and goto work for myself within the next year.

The machine shop is a job/repair shop. The largest runs ofanything we do are 300-500 at a time. Most of our work is 1-10 of something ormaking and repairing gearboxes, bearings, ag and construction equipment, somefab work, etc.

In the millwork shop I focus on short runs of custom andreproduction moulding. I will also do dimensioned and assembled unfinishedcomponents (doors, table tops, etc.). So the millwork shop is a bit of a jobshop too.

Both shops started out as hobbies. The woodwork was my dad's shop that we inherited in our parents divorce when I was 12. We bought our first mill and lathe about 12 years ago.

My question to the group is starting out what would you dodifferent? Looking back from where you are now what do you wish you had donesooner? What do you wish you’d never done? I ask this both in general and alsowould like to hear specifics on things like soliciting work, debt load (Nealand I hate debt and only make payments on the building, everything else is cash),preparing for your first employee, machine purchases, quoting and job tracking(knowing what it actually cost you vs your quote), material inventory,balancing work & family (Neal has wife and 4 kids under the age of 4, Ihave nothing), time away, dealing with walk ins & interruptions, takingcare of shop improvements around the busy time, etc.

We are definitely a “slow and steady wins the race” type. Itend to try and experiment with different equipment and techniques just tobreak us into a different aspect of the business. But even at that theinvestment has to be minimal enough that the impact if it goes wrong won’t killus. We won’t bet the farm without doing LOTS of homework and trying somethingout on a small scale.

Also, I’ve read lots of the threads regarding partnershipsand the cons that go with. Neal and I have that conversation quite a bit. Wehave a Tuesday night “war room” where we discuss the coming month, and longterm plans as well as strategy. This really helps us stay focused on the goaland keeps us from making spur of the moment and impulse decisions. We’ve oftenlooked at jobs, purchases, & auction bounty and classified them as bulletsor calibrated or uncalibrated cannonballs (thank you Jim Collins). We also havea rule that during it there is no holding back, all contentions must be settledand we walk out as brothers and partners in business. If one of us made astupid decision or is dragging ass, we put a spotlight on it, identify the rootcause and make it a point to remind ourselves of it so it isn’t repeated. Oftenif one of us does it the other is bound to repeat it at some point without thisreminder. Sometimes this cuts deep but it also brings to the surface lots offrustrations and in the end makes both of us stronger, better, and more committed.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Dan

I don't give 2 shits if he is your brother or best friend... GO TO A LAWYER and have your partnership
drawn up... Get a GOOD lawyer, not one that is just "cheap".. Expectation and how each of you can
get out of it and all that fun stuff...

When you start smoking crack, or your brother(or his wife) decides he should get more money without telling you, that
document will save your(or his) legal bacon. I also never realized how handy it is to have a lawyer you can e-mail
and ask questions..

Make sure you both look at the books, and know where every penny is going.. I don't care how much you trust him, or
he trusts you..

I don't give 2 shits if he is your brother or best friend... GO TO A LAWYER and have your partnership
drawn up... Get a GOOD lawyer, not one that is just "cheap".. Expectation and how each of you can

When you start smoking crack, or your brother(or his wife) decides he should get more money without telling you, that
document will save your(or his) legal bacon. I also never realized how handy it is to have a lawyer you can e-mail
and ask questions..

Make sure you both look at the books, and know where every penny is going.. I don't care how much you trust him, or
he trusts you..
Sound advise. Especially the keeping a close eye on the books (both of you).

A mate of mine is currently going through a shit time because his brother was doing the books side and he was doing the Labour side (concreting business) and the finances haven't been going as well as bro said.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Partnerships sometimes work out, most often not.
Two Steves started a fruit company. Seemed like a good match, one techie, one business side so each had strengths to bring to the table.
One a people person, one not so much. Both made money so I guess that is good.
Put simply It is way harder to hold this together than a marriage. In the early days it seems that you can work it out, later the poop hits the fan. \
Outside influences pressure you both. Partner makes a misstep or maybe goes through a bad time. You find he winds the toilet paper roll the wrong way........
Maybe he/she scams the bank account because they are in trouble and desperate. Your partner's problems become your own and the other way around too.
Sometimes hard to deal with the load of both so not many make it in the long run.
Easier if somebody controls 60%. Then there is a understood pecking order and somewhere the buck stops.
Bob

The advice to get legal council is very good. Remember too the golden rule of partnerships too. He who has the gold rules! It is good to picture what happens if one of you dies. You could wind up with a very different partner(s).

The advice to get legal council is very good. Remember too the golden rule of partnerships too. He who has the gold rules! It is good to picture what happens if one of you dies. You could wind up with a very different partner(s).

Not that I have a whole lot of experience with this, (actually, none) but garyhlucas brings up a really good point there.

You and your brother are not equally vested there... You have another full-time job, he does not. He has a wife & 4 kids depending on your joint shop succeeding, you do not. Money invested is nearly irrelevant. (In my humble, inexperience.)

If something happens to your brother, I'm assuming that his wife becomes the other 50% legal owner in your joint business. Is she going to take his full-time pay? If so, is your grieving sister-in-law going to step in and fulfill the now-absent work duties? (My guess is no...) Is his life-insurance going to float his family, and your joint shop, or not? Does he even have life-insurance? If he unfortunately passes, can your shop afford to pay his full-time salary to his wife, and then your full-time salary as you pick up hte slack?

This sounds terribly impersonal, rude & morbid, but if this business is something that you all want to succeed, long-term, after the unfortunate passing of one of you, you need to consider all of the options...

Not even just a death, but think severe injury as well. If he gets injured and can't work, who's going to pay his family's bills while he's "off work?" That would leave you to step up, and fill the work void, so that his family can get by. (In this case, I'd look into some kind of accidental, supplemental insurance like AFLAC for him, and possibly you as well...)

God forbid any of that happen, but unfortunately, it's certainly a possibility...

Not even just a death, but think severe injury as well. If he gets injured and can't work, who's going to pay his family's bills while he's "off work?" That would leave you to step up, and fill the work void, so that his family can get by. (In this case, I'd look into some kind of accidental, supplemental insurance like AFLAC for him, and possibly you as well...)

God forbid any of that happen, but unfortunately, it's certainly a possibility...

Not to mention a divorce.....

PDW

I brought this up because I had a customer whose partner died a horrible death to lung cancer. The surviving partner suddenly had double the work and a new partner with no idea how the business ran. Unfortunately she thought her husband was the more important partner, even though it was clear to everyone that the surviving partner really was the business. In the end he had to buy her out at a huge premium just to get it done before the business was destroyed.

I've had a couple different partnerships and neither of them worked out as planned. It always felt like a reminder of when I had to do a group project in college but I would always get stuck doing the majority of the work. But definitely have an exit plan if someone wants to leave the business and how they will be compensated. You could have the company pay for extra life insurance policies that would be considered payment in full if one of the partners dies so that the surviving spouse doesn't try to take over 1/2 the business.

As for buying equipment, I've always found it better to start off buying decent used equipment so that if my needs changed, then I could easily get most if not all of my money back out of it.

I run a business with my brother also. We have let it grow organically. Anytime we try to force it one way it never seems to work as well as rolling with what's already coming in the door. One thing is to make sure you still do things together outside of the shop and not talk about the shop. Find something to blow off steam.

The best time to make a written notarized plan (blessed by the lawyers) for liquidating and/or dividing up the business is before there is a business.

The rights of the surviving spouse need to be addressed in the plan (doing so with a prepaid life insurance policy purchased by the business is in my opinion the easiest way to deal with this issue).

Divorce on the other hand is a nasty thing that allows the courts to decide what is 'right'. So get the lawyer involved now, get the spouses to agree NOW.

In most of these cases it is much easier if the company owns no assets but is instead leasing them.

Make sure you are both fairly represented......it might take 2 lawyers. Some brothers can make it together some can't. You won't always see eye to eye but make sure you are both in the finances equally- keep your friends close, keep your business partners closer.

Make sure you are both fairly represented......it might take 2 lawyers. Some brothers can make it together some can't. You won't always see eye to eye but make sure you are both in the finances equally- keep your friends close, keep your business partners closer.

I'm obviously giving advice I didn't follow.. There is a HUGE reason I am giving that advice$$

I told this story in another thread, but I think it deserves repeating here... I had a young kid coming in and
killing my bugs.. This is New Mexico, everybody is friendly, so I got to know the kid over some time... He knew
what was going on with me, and asked me about his idea...

3 guys starting their own business... they were already well on their way.. And I told him, "see what happened to me?"
Go to a lawyer and get it all written up... Church going kid, married to his 1st grade sweety, good kid... I trust 'em...

Yeah well.. He though about it and brought it up with his 2 future prospective partners... One agreed, and the other guy
went ape shit.. The 2 guys left in the plan did get it all written up..

You DO NOT need separate lawyers. you just need a lawyer to put what you have already agreed on into writing...
Everything in that agreement should be equal to all... Though there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.. Its not a negotiation, its a friendly agreement. Though if you both have your own business lawyers
already, nothing wrong with letting them hash it out. 2 heads is better than one.

AND I highly suggest that you 2 brothers TALK about it... Its not only protecting one brother, its protecting both of you.
And you are going to have to discuss uncomfortable things... "Well what happens to me when you keep wiping out the bank
account, but won't come to work?" "What happens when you won't come to work and you're treating the credit cards like a
winning lottery ticket?"...

Anyways, the bug killing kid, and his one remaining partner did some research as to what should be in a partnership agreement,
they made a list of all the things they wanted, and then they went to a lawyer... The lawyer talked them through it, helped them
add and delete things, and then put it all into a nice legally binding document.. It cost them less than $800.

If you are committed to the this.. DO IT RIGHT!!!

And on the "if he dies" thing.. That can be written into the agreement and there are insurance polices that will have the company as a beneficiary to help make up for the loss of an owner, and there are also policies that upon
the death of a partner, will pay her off(plus some extra, or a lot if you choose), so you don't have to deal with it...

I suggest a competent insurance agent.. Somebody local that you can sit down and talk to .

Not to mention a divorce.....

PDW

Divorce can usually be handled by who actually owns the corporation... although I have no knowledge how this applies to LLC's, since they post date the formation of my business. Both my partner and I own our shares solely; the wives don't enter the picture until they inherit upon the death of one of us.

There are insurance policies available that are generically known as "first to die", cheaper, because they insure two lives, but only pay out on one. The insurance payout needs to be keyed to a Buy-Sell agreement, signed by the spouses, where they agree to take the insurance settlement in lieu of taking the ownership stake.

In our case, we opted to purchase two separate insurance policies, so the surviving partner has a policy that he can change the beneficiary to his spouse; important as we get older and harder to insure. I suspect at this point, between my partner's diabetes and my heart attack, neither of us would be insurable if we had to take a physical at this time.

Dennis

I'm obviously giving advice I didn't follow.. There is a HUGE reason I am giving that advice$$

You DO NOT need separate lawyers. you just need a lawyer to put what you have already agreed on into writing...

I can agree to that, as long as you both trust the same lawyer it can be good, but if its your brother's lawyer and he's payin the bill who gets protected most?

I am playing Devil's Advocate Bob, hate to see someone spend the cash to write it up legal and still get hosed in the end.

I have seen brothers break apart in business to where only the lawyers made any money...... don't be those guys.

A partnership is a sinking ship. Period.

If you insist on taking on water, get the lawyer to make sure you know why.

I would have broken my rule about paying cash and owning things and would take the loan to purchase machinery. I"m still stupid.

If I could do it over again, all of the above and I would write myself a note to tell my younger self that I am not nearly as smart as I think I am, too. :)

Back