What's new
What's new

Career Change - Take over family business?

Dma2004

Plastic
Hey everyone, just joined the community. Looking for any kind of feedback or advise for coming into the field. I've done searches on here for people that are coming into the field and they are all very similar; Start small and grow into it. I have a little different circumstance because my father in law wants me to come and work with him and eventually take over the business. He owns the equipment outright and has a roughly 4000sqft shop in the Chicago area and has 3 people that work for him. He does everything thing from prototyping tools and jigs to some continuous part runs.

Now a little about the equipment;
He has probably 15 or so large machines I know he has some HAAS CNC machines and some lathes a lot of drill presses and thousands of bits throughout the entire shop - quite overwhelming and I came from fortune 500 manufacturing companies that are heavy into 5S and I have no idea where to start since I'm not familiar with this environment.

I currently have a great job at the Airport and have held prior heavy manufacturing supervisor jobs in the past, but none in the machinist world. I would say my mechanical/engineering aptitude is pretty solid. How long do you think it would take to learn this business with starting out part time and grow into it?

I have no idea where to start since I'm not familiar with this environment.

I'm guessing that your FIL doesn't expect you to hit the floor running.
He may even be helpful in learnin' you what and how to doo.

How long do you think it would take to learn this business with starting out part time and grow into it?

I'm 30 years in so far....
Still learnin'

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back