What's new
What's new

Tappet Covers for 6.0 Powerstroke

Ox

Diamond
A recoil customer of mine just told me that he was interested in getting some valve covers for the 6.0 Powerstroke made up.

I told him that I was sure that someone out there already makes something like that, but he said "no".

So, I am double checking with y'all to see if that is true?
I mean heck, my Cummins' come stock with alum covers...

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A recoil customer of mine just told me that he was interested in getting some valve covers for the 6.0 Powerstroke made up.

I told him that I was sure that someone out there already makes something like that, but he said "no".

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If he has the money, paid up front, make him some billet titanium ones.

Time and materials, delivered when finished.

Edit: A quick look at Google:

6.L Aluminum Valve Covers

Paul

Seems like waste. You can't see the damn things anyway. The FICM, ECU, air intake, coolant expansion tank, glow plug controls, and several harnesses are all on top of the valve covers.

Seems like waste. You can't see the damn things anyway. The FICM, ECU, air intake, coolant expansion tank, glow plug controls, and several harnesses are all on top of the valve covers.

No shit! That was my first thought too.

The 6.0 is a pretty clean looking engine devoid of a fuel system, electronics and degas bottle.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Google psp diesel 6.0 powerstroke aluminum valve covers, $675 and he can have a set, with a huge laser etched psp graphic.

Yeah, but it don't run too well at that point.... :skep: :D

That's my point! Navistar engineers went out of their way to make the 6.0 the biggest clusterfuck on the planet.

A 6.0 bare longblock looks like a decent design. Then put all the ancillary stuff on it that it requires to run along with 12,792 O-rings and specialized gaskets that seep and leak and you wonder if they ever stopped and said "What the fuck kind of abortion are we building here?" while designing it.

The first one I ever "Bulletproofed" I thought there was no way it was going to start after doing all that. I must have nicked an O-ring or forgot something somewhere. It did start after a bit of cranking. Then I discovered it needed injectors and got to take most of that stuff back off again.

That's my point! Navistar engineers went out of their way to make the 6.0 the biggest clusterfuck on the planet.

A 6.0 bare longblock looks like a decent design. Then put all the ancillary stuff on it that it requires to run along with 12,792 O-rings and specialized gaskets that seep and leak and you wonder if they ever stopped and said "What the fuck kind of abortion are we building here?" while designing it.

The first one I ever "Bulletproofed" I thought there was no way it was going to start after doing all that. I must have nicked an O-ring or forgot something somewhere. It did start after a bit of cranking. Then I discovered it needed injectors and got to take most of that stuff back off again.

I've had one going on 5 years and 75,000 miles now. Had 80,000 on it when I got it. I replaced the oil cooler, deleted the EGR, installed an exhaust gas temperature gauge, did the blue spring upgrade on the fuel pressure regulator, and installed a coolant bypass filter. Over the course of the first three years, I had two injectors go out. Over the last three years I have been using Archoil additive every oil change (5,000 mile intervals). Resoldered the FICM once, then replaced it with a Bullet Proof. It's been pretty trouble-free except for when some ignoranus crashed into me a year ago.

I've had one going on 5 years and 75,000 miles now. Had 80,000 on it when I got it. I replaced the oil cooler, deleted the EGR, installed an exhaust gas temperature gauge, did the blue spring upgrade on the fuel pressure regulator, and installed a coolant bypass filter. Over the course of the first three years, I had two injectors go out. Over the last three years I have been using Archoil additive every oil change (5,000 mile intervals). Resoldered the FICM once, then replaced it with a Bullet Proof. It's been pretty trouble-free except for when some ignoranus crashed into me a year ago.

LOL!

My '99 Cummins has taken 1 injection pump and several lift pumps over <20 yrs and <300k miles.

My 2006 - not so good, and I've not even had it 3 yrs yet.
But it doesn't smoke when cold, so that is nice.

--------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Does it still come wrapped in a Dodge? :D

Didn't have to.

It was available in the SuperDuty Ford pick-ups in the late 80's.

And yes - you are right - I did have to have a new oil pan put on it now that you mention it, compliments of ODOT and MDOT.
(and to a lesser degree - IDOT, IDOT, IDOT, NDOT, and MTO )

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back