What's new
What's new

time need for a quote

terrystoeger

Plastic
Been having a hell of a time trying to get some one to CNC my parts. parts are pretty basic stuff, bring my .stp files alone and then told I'll give ya quote....then I wait 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. Then I have to call and bug them to get me a quote... i don't even need a quote just run my parts. Is this normal, I realize my order is small as I'm prototyping and only asking for a few parts..but come on!!! I'v tried 6th job shop and still nothing!

beyond frustrated
Ter

Well, there's a 50/50 chance this thread will get locked for a non-descriptive title, a rant, no clear question, and quite possibly being in the wrong forum....

But there is an RFQ forum here you could try.

Been having a hell of a time trying to get some one to CNC my parts. parts are pretty basic stuff, bring my .stp files alone and then told I'll give ya quote....then I wait 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. Then I have to call and bug them to get me a quote... i don't even need a quote just run my parts. Is this normal, I realize my order is small as I'm prototyping and only asking for a few parts..but come on!!! I'v tried 6th job shop and still nothing!

beyond frustrated
Ter

I'm wondering why, if the parts are basic, you contacted 6 places for a quote?

When I get a RFQ it suggests that it's all about price and for a "small quantity" sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I personally won't do anything with a .stp file. I want 2D drawings with all sizes, tolerances, etc, if a model file is included that just sometimes helps look into some features of it(more so if the drawings aren't great) but most times I don't even open the models.

Nobody will just run your parts without a purchase order/confirmation of some kind, and possibly some $ up front for walk in's, helps make sure they come back to get the parts once they're made...

The only parts I send out as a CAD file directly (no tolerance
drawing) is simple .dxf files for plasma or laser cutting.

Remember, the 2-d drawing, fully dimensioned and toleranced IS
the legal document for the quotation.

Also, what is you payment history ? Wait until the completed job is paid off,
to pay the sub's ? or standard 1% 10 days, net 30 ?

I'm wondering why, if the parts are basic, you contacted 6 places for a quote?

When I get a RFQ it suggests that it's all about price and for a "small quantity" sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

From the sound of it, some of the places he contacted didn't respond, so 6 doesn't sound unreasonable to me to get 2 or 3 responses. It really bugs me when shops are non-responsive to RFQ's. At least tell me you're not interested and, if possible, why. If you don't respond at all, I won't bug you again and when I'm discussing good local shops with other people who have work to send out, you'll probably be on the list of people not to waste time with. If you tell me you're not interested and why, I'll usually try you again when I have a job that is a good fit for you. I have a few shops that have no bid my work because it's not a good fit, but I've recommended them to others because they do very good work.

Unless I have a very good relationship with the supplier already, I always do an RFQ. The problem is that some shops will be overpriced. Sometimes it's just that the part isn't a good fit for them and they're not competitive.

The only parts I send out as a CAD file directly (no tolerance
drawing) is simple .dxf files for plasma or laser cutting.
Exactly. I wouldn't even look at an stl file. If it's not worth making a print then it's not worth making the part.

Also, what is you payment history ? Wait until the completed job is paid off,
to pay the sub's ? or standard 1% 10 days, net 30 ?
I'd go you one further on that. The BEST thing I ever did was go C.O.D. Safeway doesn't give me 2 ten net thirty. Neither does the gas station, my house rent, the barber, the car repair place, the book store ... nobody. Collections is the worst part of a small shop. If you remove that nightmare, life gets much better.

I'd go you one further on that. The BEST thing I ever did was go C.O.D. Safeway doesn't give me 2 ten net thirty. Neither does the gas station, my house rent, the barber, the car repair place, the book store ... nobody. Collections is the worst part of a small shop. If you remove that nightmare, life gets much better.

This. I have an excellent working relationship with a foundry, a biggish steel fab shop and a couple other places. The reasons are pretty simple - I give them as much information as they need (not what I think they need), I am very clear as to timelines for delivery - generally I tell them there's no rush. AND, I pay COD. They know that my jobs always will be paid for without dramas.

From my side, I get really good service even though a lot of what I get done verges on non-commercial in volume.

PDW

The answers given reflect my opinion on the subject as well...

Ever hear that commercial for the clothing store "Syms". Their motto fits here very well.

"An Educated Consumer is our Best Customer"

That pretty much sums it up.

I had written a long explanation...but truth be told. A detailed, well laid out, well dimensioned print is our road map to producing a quality part to customers specifications. I need to know which features to be careful with, I need to know what feature doesn't really need to be held to tight tolerance. I need details.

A Road Map that has just an Outline of your State with Two Points and an arrow with no streets, highways, doesn't show rives, lakes, obstacles is not much of a map...is it? If you had to call mapmaker to ask for more info...you know your in a losing battle. Easier to just use a different map maker.

A bad drawing tells me a customer does not know exactly what they want, they need and that is a problem I Do Not Wish To Take On. I have plenty of my own problems, I do not need to take on that customers too.

So what happens when that sort of drawing comes across my desk...At first I go, hmm, maybe a nice job...further look...hmm, Lots of missing info, wrong info...I'll put over here till I have open time. AND There it SITS...I have a pile of folders like that myself.

From the sound of it, some of the places he contacted didn't respond, so 6 doesn't sound unreasonable to me to get 2 or 3 responses. It really bugs me when shops are non-responsive to RFQ's.

From the posts there are reasons for not touching the request.

Apart from that then when I get RFQs they are often for a quantity. I give a price and then get a new RFQ for a smaller quantity. I think the customer expects the same price per unit for a small quantity as for a large quantity. Doesn't work like that. I don't need that type of "smart" customer/buyer.

I try to quote same day if its simple or repeat work. 2-5 days if its many parts/assembly and hard to find material/custom tooling, but in those cases I acknowledge that I received the drawings and I'm working on it but it'll be a few days. If its a No quote, well that's pretty quick to solve usually.

That said, its not an easy world to converse in, and many procrastinate or forget. Good fast service is often a " refreshing surprise" these days eh.

Also, if you send an email to a new place you've never dealt with before, its usually good to follow it up with a call, or lead with the call, whichever. Junk box sometimes catches stuff.

Back