Tips on hiring machinist/mechanic/welder/electical guy - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    i use to work with engineers they tell me what they want machine to do i design make parts install align debug and get machine to do it. never said it was not interesting but until i realized i could make $20,000/yr more doing another job like cnc operator i never realized the interesting job was not worth it or rather other jobs pay a lot more

I've chased the money for the last 14 years......There's more to life than living for that next pay cheque...

2. Likes Pattnmaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow! You described me to a T, but I'm busy right now.

4. Likes mike_kilroy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i prefer work in a nice climatic controlled shop doing jobs where boss has reasonable expectations and pays more money
    i aint kidding get a better job and in 5 years put extra $200,000 in 401k after you get enough basically can retire any time. no big deal loosing job as already got enough to live on forever growing faster than inflation rate.
    that alone is most peoples biggest worry. not worry about loosing a job and working only cause i want to work makes day go by being more fun.
    2 times in 32 years i had to tell boss it would require a lot of money to fix machines and 2 times they shut whole buildings down and laid off hundreds of people. boss thanked me for keeping place going as long as i did, none the less it sucks when hundreds all loose their jobs. i did hundreds of miracle repairs as maintenance mechanic but it sucks when boss finally says shut every thing down. company not going to spend the money for upgrades or repairs
    i got a job offer in 3 weeks, never collected unemployment as i got 12 weeks pay from old job. me finding another job was no big deal. when you are multi skilled you can find work many places. but its the other workers, maintenance mechanic feels responsible for keeping whole multi story machines running employing hundreds of others. can feel guilty failing to perform the last miracle keeping the factory going a little longer
    literally you can show boss drawings and explain the facts and costs to keep place running and next day their is massive layoffs. i hated that part of the job

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SBAER View Post
    We are in the business of helping OEM's develop light battery powered electric vehicles, e-bikes, lawn tractors, golf carts etc. Our core products are the motor controllers which are basically battery powered VFDs but we also design, develop and manufacture brushless DC motors. I have involved in the business since its inception 10 years ago, we've grown in fits and starts, at the moment we have about 25 employees and things are looking up.

My contribution to the business has mostly been on the motor side although the machine shop I run has also contributed with prototyping and making fixtures for the controller side of the business. Three years ago I hired a young machinist to work in the shop, he is very capable and learned to wire up vehicles, set up the controllers, solder stuff, run the test dyno as well as operate the manual and CNC equipment. Unfortunately for me he wants to pursue his own machining/car repair business so I need to find some new help.

I didn't think it would be too hard to find a young person interested in such varied and exciting work but I was wrong, the position has been advertised at the community college and on the website "indeed" for months and we have not received any promising resumes. The posting lists the starting wage as $25/hour but I would pay someone with a solid skill set more. We paid the last guy more, he got his papers while he was here. I have my tool and die license so I can sponsor an apprentice. Compared to other machine shops I have worked at, the atmosphere here is downright pleasant, more like a laid back tech start-up.

Any tips on how to find the kind of person that is passionately interested in building things and solving problems? The company is located in Waterloo Ontario if any local forum members happen to know a good candidate.
    Try an apprentice program with some one already in the local robotics club, they would have interest in prototyping and putting things together, for a budding geek getting near real stuff is a dream.

dee
    =D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    facts ... blah blah blah...
    Facts: 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999% of people don't work for your employer. There are 7 billion people on the planet. Would you believe that some of them might have had a different experience that you?

8. Likes [email protected] liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    No, you need a guy with 2 brain cells to rub together.
    You do a pretty good Welden impression.

LOL!

He has "Early Onset Grumpy Old Man Syndrom".

He's gunna make a swell guy to have next door at the old folks home!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

10. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    some smart kids don't want to ever step another foot inside a classroom even if you paid them.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I'm thinking that is the most autobiographical statement you have ever made on this forum.

12. Likes Ox, roysol, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You do a pretty good Welden impression.
    I disagree. I know guys that know all that stuff only as a hobby, and they are damn good at all of it and more. It's not that big a deal.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I disagree. I know guys that know all that stuff only as a hobby, and they are damn good at all of it and more. It's not that big a deal.
    Ahhh....great. Not sure how that relates, but ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahhh....great. Not sure how that relates, but ??
    Unless I'm misunderstanding somebody, ewlsey essentially said that it's not that big a deal to find the person the OP is looking for (2 brain cells). Then you essentially called him a dickhead (Welden). Then I agreed that the guy the OP is looking for is not that uncommon.

16. Likes Ox, dkmc, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    No, you need a guy with 2 brain cells to rub together.
    You are right. With your skill set you would have no end of opportunities in a tech hub kind of place like Waterloo, I'd be trying to talk you into some sort of partnership if you lived around here. Being in the right place is half the battle.

I do all these different jobs in the shop as well as Solidworks, Magnetic FEA programs, CAM, writing grant proposals and patching the drywall. Based on following the forum for the last decade I have come to the conclusion there are a lot of forum members that have wide ranging skill sets and I am not that unique.

18. Likes mike_kilroy, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by strokersix View Post
    There are people working as engineers. Plenty bright enough to handle that work. Tired of being a desk jockey in a cubicle environment. Just a thought for you.
    Strangely enough we don't have too much of a problem hiring mechanical engineers just out of university that pick up new skills including electronics and programming very quickly and will little supervision. I have not met one who sees the machine shop as a good career opportunity.
    It would seem an easier sell to offer a skilled trades person the opportunity branch out into ways the working world doesn't generally allow for

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding somebody, ewlsey essentially said that it's not that big a deal to find the person the OP is looking for (2 brain cells). Then you essentially called him a dickhead (Welden). Then I agreed that the guy the OP is looking for is not that uncommon.
    That's basically it. What the OP is asking for is not impossible. He may not get 100% on all fronts, but a good, well rounded, guy could fill that role.

Mr. DMF_Tom lives in a very, very, very small world, where apparently nothing is possible and things can never change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Strangely enough we don't have too much of a problem hiring mechanical engineers just out of university that pick up new skills including electronics and programming very quickly and will little supervision. I have not met one who sees the machine shop as a good career opportunity.
    That's because it isn't. I spent my life working in scientific/engineering R&D places. Having the ability to run machine tools opened doors to interesting jobs like working on deep ocean research where everyone had to be multi-skilled, but it wasn't a big thing. Being able to program or troubleshoot electronics was a lot more useful in getting a foot in the door.

I like having the tools to make *one* of something (or fix something broken). If you wanted me to spend many days turning handles in any sort of semi-production setup I'd say no. Software development is more interesting and pays *way* better, plus not so hard on the feet.

It would seem an easier sell to offer a skilled trades person the opportunity branch out into ways the working world doesn't generally allow for
    Agree. We did exactly that on a number of occasions.

PDW

22. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am really having a difficult time coming to grips with the OP's problem.
    If I am not mistaken there are what, 2 universities in Waterloo and just barely 5 miles to the southwest is a community college with trade courses and to the west of you is another community college, maybe 15 miles away, again, offering trade courses.
    And you can't find help!!

That kind off tells me that this province is in a very scary situation for skilled help or is an indication of something else.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man, that sounds like my dream job. I have experience with brushless motors and am about to graduate with a degree in electrical engineering technology, but I also love machining.

Unfortunately, I have no plans to move to Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These guys are out there, they just aren't super-plentiful. Normally their employers know what they have and make sure they are happy so they don't leave. I could easily do this job except that I have a bad back and some days it hurts so bad I can barely stand. And also am not in Canada, heh. Keep looking, you'll find your guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are in the business of helping OEM's develop light battery powered electric vehicles, e-bikes, lawn tractors, golf carts etc. Our core products are the motor controllers which are basically battery powered VFDs but we also design, develop and manufacture brushless DC motors. I have involved in the business since its inception 10 years ago, we've grown in fits and starts, at the moment we have about 25 employees and things are looking up.

My contribution to the business has mostly been on the motor side although the machine shop I run has also contributed with prototyping and making fixtures for the controller side of the business. Three years ago I hired a young machinist to work in the shop, he is very capable and learned to wire up vehicles, set up the controllers, solder stuff, run the test dyno as well as operate the manual and CNC equipment. Unfortunately for me he wants to pursue his own machining/car repair business so I need to find some new help.

I didn't think it would be too hard to find a young person interested in such varied and exciting work but I was wrong, the position has been advertised at the community college and on the website "indeed" for months and we have not received any promising resumes. The posting lists the starting wage as $25/hour but I would pay someone with a solid skill set more. We paid the last guy more, he got his papers while he was here. I have my tool and die license so I can sponsor an apprentice. Compared to other machine shops I have worked at, the atmosphere here is downright pleasant, more like a laid back tech start-up.

Any tips on how to find the kind of person that is passionately interested in building things and solving problems? The company is located in Waterloo Ontario if any local forum members happen to know a good candidate.
    In Seattle within the last couple months I've connected with two guys in high tech startups who get good people through the local universities, third or fourth year mechanical engineering majors. They "hire" them as unpaid interns. After graduation if the intern works out they step up to full time with a stake in a developing company.

When I graduated the usual route was a desk job with a large corporation. The young people majoring in engineering I've come into contact with recently see their dream future as involvement with promising startups and don't mind getting their hands dirty in the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D KIRBY View Post
    That kind off tells me that this province is in a very scary situation for skilled help
    You’re not wrong.

Also, Laurier U doesn’t help the OP as it lacks an Applied/Physical Science Faculty. Great school otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come on! Upstate NY has plenty of amatuer radio clubs! Buffalo, Rochester, Ithaca, Elmira, Albany each have hamfests (think techno-electric flea market) each year. The only problem is membership is mostly older guys, but still going with some young blood.

https://www.rochesterham.org/
    New York - Ham Radio: Clubs: North America: USA: New York