Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC Mech View Post
    You’re not wrong.

Also, Laurier U doesn’t help the OP as it lacks an Applied/Physical Science Faculty. Great school otherwise.
    I am a Waterloo engineering grad, I challenged the tool And die making ticket after I had graduated university mostly just to see if I could pass. We have hired two U of W engineers in the last 6 month and we have been running an add at Conestoga college for months as well. A good friend of mine teaches at the college and I have tried the trick of creaming off the most promising apprentice in the tool and die program but I was not able to convince the kid to leave his perfectly good job.

I imagine the kind of person I need ends up choosing the white collar option over the blue collar option so they leave school without the ability to machine anything. It is going to be hard for me to teach machining from scratch while spending 80% of my time in the office doing the engineering part of my job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    i prefer work in a nice climatic controlled shop doing jobs where boss has reasonable expectations and pays more money
    i aint kidding get a better job and in 5 years put extra $200,000 in 401k after you get enough basically can retire any time. no big deal loosing job as already got enough to live on forever growing faster than inflation rate.
    that alone is most peoples biggest worry. not worry about loosing a job and working only cause i want to work makes day go by being more fun.
    2 times in 32 years i had to tell boss it would require a lot of money to fix machines and 2 times they shut whole buildings down and laid off hundreds of people. boss thanked me for keeping place going as long as i did, none the less it sucks when hundreds all loose their jobs. i did hundreds of miracle repairs as maintenance mechanic but it sucks when boss finally says shut every thing down. company not going to spend the money for upgrades or repairs
    i got a job offer in 3 weeks, never collected unemployment as i got 12 weeks pay from old job. me finding another job was no big deal. when you are multi skilled you can find work many places. but its the other workers, maintenance mechanic feels responsible for keeping whole multi story machines running employing hundreds of others. can feel guilty failing to perform the last miracle keeping the factory going a little longer
    literally you can show boss drawings and explain the facts and costs to keep place running and next day their is massive layoffs. i hated that part of the job
    Tom,
    Can't help but notice you haven't gotten a raise in a while. Not learning anything new? Heading towards obsolescence? Sneaks up on ya you know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am the guy the OP is looking for, but I am about 40 years older! However I am lucky, I have two of the guys you are looking for right now. One I knew was a keeper the first day. The other I did not want us to hire because he worked as a summer intern, and I was not impressed. However he has been working closely with me and I suspect he was being held back before. Because now I am so impressed with his work that I've asked my boss to give him a raise after only a couple of months. I tell the young guys that what every employer wants much more than skills is people that take a task and make it their own, and do it to the best of their ability. Have another young engineer that bitches about his pay and how he could make more at a bigger company. Bolts out the door at 5 and I have never heard him mention a thing he has learned on his own time. Yeah finding the keepers is really tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If only I lived in ONT, I'd apply in a heartbeat. Not saying I'm perfect for you or your company but a diverse work environment is something to be cherished and your job duties are fairly close to my skill set. If you branch out into Oklahoma let me know.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the budget can stand it, you might consider hiring an experienced machinist and someone with strong electronics and an interest in innovation. In the job I mentioned earlier, after I had been there long enough for them to see that I could handle the work, one day they brought in a new hired machinist and just handed him to me. He turned out to be a first class machinist and a pretty good mechanic who really liked being in on the design rather than only making parts to prints. We did a lot on sketches and hand waving because we were both on the same page and understood the requirements. One example I remember from 55 years ago is the time we needed a series of 1/16" notches in a steel disk to feed glass capillary tubes. He said he could do it but a 1/16" end mill on that thickness of plate was going very wiggly. I said that we needed the thickness for rigidity but he could thin the rim to something easy to cut with the little cutter. A few minutes of communication and some lathe work saved how many hours of patient feeding.

I had a lathe since I was 13 and had run various other machines, but that was where I really learned the trade, unintended on the job training with a vengeance. That was the most productive period of my career, due in no small part to a co-conspirator who made me look good.

Bill

Country
    INDONESIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hobbyman View Post
    Canada has an apprenticeship system. Are you willing to indenture someone fresh out of school? Big thing in Canada is pre-apprenticeship training across Canada but the catch is few employers will indenture.
    I was in a different trade and went through four employers to get my time. I scored the last 12 months by agreeing to look after the shop while the boss went moose hunting. In exchange he signed for my last 12 months I needed.
    Years ago I heard that when someone asked a Japanese businessman why they spent so much time and money on staff training. The Japanese pointed out that employees are the only thing that does not depreciate over time in a business.
    Can i go there, i have more than 10 year experience with cnc turning

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sure seems like Cananda is a better place to live than the states,
    I am aboot done with working, a younger man mite well consider getting out of the states?
    Gw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know several Canucks that have moved to Michigan for work, so I don't know ...

It's a swell place to visit tho!
    (northern bush at least)

There is a cpl feet of snow east of Lake Superior already!
    (at least in some places)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I know several Canucks that have moved to Michigan for work, so I don't know ...

It's a swell place to visit tho!
    (northern bush at least)

There is a cpl feet of snow east of Lake Superior already!
    (at least in some places)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Ox,
    I got a brand new 17' mich craft canoe I'll sell you cheaply...

If you start paddling now, should be there by christmas.....
    (to the Op's shop that is)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The lake'll be froze in a few weeks, and I can ride my snowmachine accrost..

Speaking of which - did you hear aboot the fella they found walking out in the middle of Erie last (?) winter?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    The lake'll be froze in a few weeks, and I can ride my snowmachine acrrost..

Speaking of which - did you hear aboot the fella they found walking out in the middle of Erie last (?) winter?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Well, the old timers told of driving a car across back in the 1940's or so
    (probably before the cuyahoga caught on fire though).

Have not heard any news involving someone in the lake, do tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well that's all I know - or at least can remember.
    Google's not real sure either....

???

It seems like it may have been military (?) out dooing some training - possibly on hovercraft?
    Found this older guy (our age?) trying to walk accrost? I think he was out there for a cpl of days...

Seems like he could'a found a narrower spot ???

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 12-09-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: our age?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, people swim across every couple of years.

IIRC If leaving from Longpoint, the distance is only 21 miles or so
    (made longer by the drifting cause by Niagara Falls).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess it was Lake Saint Claire.
    I was close - same drainage anyway ....

Also - a cpl more years ago, but heck, at this point a cpl of years is just yesterday eh?

Cleveland ice cutter used to rescue man walking across Lake St. Clair | cleveland.com

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    In Seattle within the last couple months I've connected with two guys in high tech startups who get good people through the local universities, third or fourth year mechanical engineering majors. They "hire" them as unpaid interns. After graduation if the intern works out they step up to full time with a stake in a developing company.

When I graduated the usual route was a desk job with a large corporation. The young people majoring in engineering I've come into contact with recently see their dream future as involvement with promising startups and don't mind getting their hands dirty in the process.
    I don't get the "unpaid interns" comment - most interns that I am aware of in high-tech companies or even smoke stack companies in manufacturing are paid in the $13 - $18 / hour range and if you land at Amazon or Microsoft, the pay can be quite a bit higher.

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    I don't get the "unpaid interns" comment - most interns that I am aware of in high-tech companies or even smoke stack companies in manufacturing are paid in the $13 - $18 / hour range and if you land at Amazon or Microsoft, the pay can be quite a bit higher.
    See ?

Your doing it all wrong.....

You could have these unpaid interns doing all your work
    for free....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    See ?

Your doing it all wrong.....

You could have these unpaid interns doing all your work
    for free....
    Yeah, I guess I am an idiot - I pay my interns way too much . . . they should probably be paying me for the privilege of working at my company!

My son recently graduated from college at age 20 with an ME degree and one of his best friends graduated with an "Informatics" degree from the UW (that is University of Washington for all you flat landers) Careers | Information School | University of Washington

$104k to start at Amazon dot com for a 20 YO kid in Seattle . . . and you think you can find interns worth a wit who will work for free? The labor market in Seattle just isn't that loose.

19. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SBAER View Post
    We are in the business of helping OEM's develop light battery powered electric vehicles, e-bikes, lawn tractors, golf carts etc. Our core products are the motor controllers which are basically battery powered VFDs but we also design, develop and manufacture brushless DC motors. I have involved in the business since its inception 10 years ago, we've grown in fits and starts, at the moment we have about 25 employees and things are looking up.

My contribution to the business has mostly been on the motor side although the machine shop I run has also contributed with prototyping and making fixtures for the controller side of the business. Three years ago I hired a young machinist to work in the shop, he is very capable and learned to wire up vehicles, set up the controllers, solder stuff, run the test dyno as well as operate the manual and CNC equipment. Unfortunately for me he wants to pursue his own machining/car repair business so I need to find some new help.

I didn't think it would be too hard to find a young person interested in such varied and exciting work but I was wrong, the position has been advertised at the community college and on the website "indeed" for months and we have not received any promising resumes. The posting lists the starting wage as $25/hour but I would pay someone with a solid skill set more. We paid the last guy more, he got his papers while he was here. I have my tool and die license so I can sponsor an apprentice. Compared to other machine shops I have worked at, the atmosphere here is downright pleasant, more like a laid back tech start-up.

Any tips on how to find the kind of person that is passionately interested in building things and solving problems? The company is located in Waterloo Ontario if any local forum members happen to know a good candidate.
    Machinist wages in Ontario are higher than Alberta, I am assuming based on the rate you're looking to hire someone who know very little on any of these and training in the rest. For someone competent in all of these I think you're looking upwards of $65/hr comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well that seems kind'a proud for a greaser, but at that rate I might toss my hat in the ring...

However, that post DOES bring to mind the fact that you could also look in the AB oilfields for help. I have seen Ontario natives (well, Romanian, but Toronto is the melting pot of the north, so...) come back from the west b/c they didn't feel it was worth it. "Sure, good money, but the cost of everything is so much higher, just not worth it."

There will be some that just want to come back home to be with family too....

I don't know if "Jobs AB" (or whatever they call it there) would be all that helpfull in sending folks back home or not?

It's really no diff than folks around here advertising in Texas, Oklahoma, or the Dakota's for folks that are tired of the boom/bust life.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

22. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post

One definition of intern: a student or trainee who works, sometimes "without" pay, at a trade or occupation in order to gain work experience.

Think of it this way......you're a young, ambitious, almost graduated engineering student. Where are your chances better for experience? Microsoft or Amazon to be an infinitesimally small cog in a humongously giant wheel where it isn't even remotely likely Gates or Bezos is going to sit you on his knee to give you the big picture about starting/running a successful startup. On the other hand, you have a chance to be on the ground floor with what appears to be a promising small startup where you're right in there sweeping the floors with the boss. So what do you do? Go for a few bucks or opportunity?