Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been a working Shop Foreman for 2.5 yeas at a new location in the Grater Toronto Area. Need 4 guys + myself to keep up with the work. Will be hiring employee #11,12 & 13 (painter,welder,shipper) in January.

That's a high turnover rate for how long we've been operational.

The most difficult person to find is another person like me, welder/machinist/drill press/mechanically inclined/basic electrician. I can train someone to use most any piece of equipment but will not train on an Engine Lathe.

My best bet is to find a machinist who wants to learn how to weld.

We do everything: adds on company web page, Indeed, 3rd party, kijiji, craigslist, word of mouth.......it sucks to interview candidates when there is only one to chose from.

I'm going to hit up some schools this up coming week.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Possible you are asking for or make it sound like you are asking for high technical skills when you need assemblers tool makers, machine hands and the like where $25 starting is a good wage..Getting engineers and the like where the expectation is higher, at least the go-to target might be higher..... Perhaps show your want add.
    Perhaps you need all engineers ...
    Here in the Us we have school people in Robotics competition.. they are learning a lit of skills..

But yes I don't think USA people can work in Canada..

Looks like the $15 minimum wage makes some employers think the is the everybody wage..
    Seems that for $25 there should be people knocking down/on the door for he job...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in a bit of a celebratory mood as we have hired someone to work in the machine shop. This person is a member of the forum who read the thread, he has a skill set that ranges from software to CNC and manual machining. He came in a couple of days over the Christmas holidays to try the job on for size and decided to take the risk of relocating and changing jobs. Today is his first day as an employee.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the thread alive long enough to get this happy outcome.

Stan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    When I worked for what now is called Sherwood Medical . . . Bill
    My first reaction to the OP was that anyone with all those skills will want to be on their own.

But I think Bill has it right. Start with someone who has a passion for the electronic side and teach him the mechanical and machining stuff. Only think I'd add is that these days, if it's a young kid you want, it's more likely someone into Arduino, Maker's Faires, 3D printing, robotics, etc. than radio.