What's new
What's new

Tried out another guy today.

kpotter

Diamond
Some one sent this guy to my shop, he said he is a crackin whip manual guy. I told him that I would pay piece work, he can use my machines my tooling my material to make my parts and I would pay him 2 dollars a part. I gave him the sample it was an aluminum tube 3 inches long with a 1 inch slot milled through it and two 10/32 tapped holes. I can make 20 per hour on a manual mill. He made 200 parts today, sounds great right, 50 of them were good the rest where way off, some were cut crooked on the cold saw, some were too short some had broken taps in them some he didnt milll all the way through, I just paid out a 100 bucks to a moron so he could cost me money. I know this idiot thought he could earn a 1000 bucks today, I should have told him he owes me 2 bucks for every bad one. He threw his thirst buster at me when I told him I didnt need any more help. I have now really learned my lesson no employees ever. I will out source to local shops and let them deal with morons.

you cut the tube, deburr the inside after me, and I will run as many as you can throw at me in one day in my mill for $1ea !! And I will pay you for scrap. Too bad I am 2hrs away.

He averages more parts per hour than you,ha,ha.Too bad we are far apart,I wouldn't disappoint.Sounds boring as hell,but with $300 a day,I would manage.

Some one sent this guy to my shop, he said he is a crackin whip manual guy. I told him that I would pay piece work, he can use my machines my tooling my material to make my parts and I would pay him 2 dollars a part. I gave him the sample it was an aluminum tube 3 inches long with a 1 inch slot milled through it and two 10/32 tapped holes. I can make 20 per hour on a manual mill. He made 200 parts today, sounds great right, 50 of them were good the rest where way off, some were cut crooked on the cold saw, some were too short some had broken taps in them some he didnt milll all the way through, I just paid out a 100 bucks to a moron so he could cost me money. I know this idiot thought he could earn a 1000 bucks today, I should have told him he owes me 2 bucks for every bad one. He threw his thirst buster at me when I told him I didnt need any more help. I have now really learned my lesson no employees ever. I will out source to local shops and let them deal with morons.

Stop hiring hacks off the street.....

I was checking in and the scrap was piling up, the parts are done in phases first I cut then I mill then I drill then tap. By the end of all the steps there were varying degrees of carnage.

I lost about 100 dollars worth of aluminum and 4 taps and 1 endmill. At least he didnt trash a coldsaw blade. I should video tap these fiascos, I had very low expectations goin in so I was not to surprised at the results. I dont think many people run manual machines anymore so they are just not used to them, he kept complaining about how slow my stuff was and how he could do it faster on real machines. He wanted to know when I was going to get some cnc machines. He was a pompus ass clown. I wanted to kick his ass but I let him slide. Throwing his soda at me as he walked out, that nearly put me into a homacidal rage. This was the final straw no more people it is not worth it.

Quote by KP:
"This was the final straw no more people it is not worth it."

tsk tsk Kevin... you should have tried Queen Bee... She'd have renewed your faith in humanity.

VT

Uh, Kevin...Your first requirement should be that your experimental hires pass a drug screen BEFORE they pick up any tools. The people you've tried sound exactly like meth heads. They know they've conned you into paying them for the day's "work" and they couldn't care less whether they make good parts. Really, they don't care. The idea has no meaning to them, although it may have in a previous life. Which is where they acquired the technical vocabulary they use to BS one unsuspecting employer after another. It doesn't hold up for more than a day but that's all they need from you. Do yourself a favor and get hooked up with your local testing lab. When an applicant shows up, send him right over and ask them to call you with the results. You need to protect yourself. The next time might not just involve scrap, you might get burglarized the same night.

Uh, Kevin...Your first requirement should be that your experimental hires pass a drug screen BEFORE they pick up any tools. The people you've tried sound exactly like meth heads. They know they've conned you into paying them for the day's "work" and they couldn't care less whether they make good parts. Really, they don't care. The idea has no meaning to them, although it may have in a previous life. Which is where they acquired the technical vocabulary they use to BS one unsuspecting employer after another. It doesn't hold up for more than a day but that's all they need from you. Do yourself a favor and get hooked up with your local testing lab. When an applicant shows up, send him right over and ask them to call you with the results. You need to protect yourself. The next time might not just involve scrap, you might get burglarized the same night.

Exactly,that is what I was referring in post 7,,the show Breaking Bad.All about Meth.

Too bad you have had such a bad experience, I have been lucky, in the last six years I have hired 7 guys and only one of them didnt make it. Three of them had previous experience and the last one didnt know a drill from a clamp. But he was probably one of the best workers and the easiest to train. But even he couldnt stay forever and he has had to move on. For now I am trying to work it out on my own for a while, I do miss the extra help but I am also glad not to be paying for it or trying to keep them busy every day.

Charles

Ever thought about trying a kid in vocational/trade school instead of these guys you find by just yelling on the sidewalk?

Back