What's new
What's new

Uising sex to sell band saw blades?

dkmc

Diamond
Any of you Trade Magazine recipients seen the ads on front or back covers for sawblade.com?

The ones with the 'extremely thin' and 'mostly mature' female in the ad?
Nothing about those ads makes me want to buy a band saw blade from that company or go look
at their web site.
I am not impressed...at ALL.
I think they could impress me if they were to use a different approach.
I wish they would STOP with those ads.
I am trying to be as politically correct as possible here.
:cool:

No picture on their website....so a link will do you no good.

Did I say young??
I did say I am NOT impressed, and I suspect you would not be either....if you get my drift.....
The ad image does not appeal to me in the least
(Now I'm not being so politically correct)

I hope someone else that's seen the ads chimes in with their opinion.....

Hello Dkmc
Never seen the ad, but sex sells. Marketers know that if they can't catch the eye of their customer with an image of their product, they will use sex.

I would say you are well in the minority. Personally I miss the tool calenders with topless young things holding a big ole wrench or bending over a fender............Bob

OK, I guess I need to clarify for those that won't or can't see the ad.
I (personally) have no problem with using sex to band saw blades, tools, anything.
You'd have to see the ad and decide if it is similar to the tool calendars of which you speak.......

Kinda off topic, but, I did an oil change at one of of those places like Super Lube or Mr. Lube, and after I refused every additional service they offered, they sent out one of their female employees to try and sell me the exact same thing again. Needless to say I was not happy about it.

hum... Edit... guess it starting to sound like it was an old model...

Did it say " The competition's blades would not touch that? "

You mean this picture?

shapeimage_1.png

Nothing, I mean nothing is worse than ISCAR's new catalogs featuring the "Sumo"....

Ugh.

EDIT: I finally was able to see the pix in the attachment.....Nothing wrong with that picture
at all. Does not detract from the company in any way, IMHO.

More of the "kickboxer" look.

Last edited:
the Dillon precision catalogs always have a girl on the cover, not always a real looker, but it keeps it interesting anyways.

Here's my disclaimer.......
No one has ever or will ever mistake me for Tom Cruise or George Clooney.
I'm average to homely, so I have room to discuss the subject.

IMO if you want to use sex to sell your product, you DO need to be a bit picky when you choose your
models. And also "to each his own" applies.....

:D

LOL @ ALL of you here!!!

Ok so the OP started this thread as kind of a complaint about who they picked as there " show Girl " What is the reason behind advertising? To get there name out there, make you keep there name in mind, and if possible get others to spread the name.

SO now with this company picking this model what have they done? There is now a thread on this board JUST about this company.

You all might or might not complain about " her " but I think who ever thought up this idea and chose her was brilliant! They got people to talk about this company's add. So you know there are others saying the same things, in shops, supply stores, other boards, Hell I'll bet some even showed the guy next door just to show who they used in there add.

Not sure about all of you but I wish I had that many people talking about my shop or company name.....

Back