What's new
What's new

want to hammer apart my latest resume?

bmikkalson

Hot Rolled
The type of work I am looking for is machine tool repair, machining or prototype work( not pushing the green button only)I have been doing body work for the last 15 years, and have always dabbled in machine shop operations. Leaving body work trade, Constructive criticism welcome. Flame suit on:mad5::mad5::mad5:

Ben Mikkalson Resume 5-3 - Google Docs

For all your concerns about poor grammar and spelling, your resume sure looks solid to me. I see nothing major wrong with it.

Except: Remove the references page. Provide them separately if asked, but don't publish them.

Job well done.

LM

If it were me, I would lead with your education, which is the strongest part of your resume to my eyes. There's nothing wrong with anything else, but your education shows you are actively pursuing a career in this field.

I would also consider using a low-key/conservative resume format. Do a Google Search for "Google Docs Resume Template" and see what comes back that you like. Something like this: Google Docs - create and edit documents online, for free.

Being easy to read, and easy to find later (the big name on the top corner) will be in your favor. I think everything else looks pretty good.

Nice resume. The only negatives that I see are that it's three pages and the reference page should be removed.

Due to the extra length, you risk having it tossed. I'd get it down to one page.

I'd break down the resume itself to one page, but then make a solid cover letter to highlight the experience. Make references available upon request.

What's the jury thinking about these: (English is not my native language so this is more of question than suggestion)

-Build and assemble, troubleshoot 3D printers. --> -Build, assemble and troubleshoot 3D printers.
-Bringing ideas and drawings to real world... --> Bring ideas and...
(actually that whole sentence was too cluttered and too much poetry for my ADHD-engineer brains)

The type of work I am looking for is machine tool repair, machining or prototype work( not pushing the green button only)I have been doing body work for the last 15 years, and have always dabbled in machine shop operations. Leaving body work trade, Constructive criticism welcome. Flame suit on:mad5::mad5::mad5:

Ben Mikkalson Resume 5-3 - Google Docs
So for the past 15 years you have NOT been in the trade you seek a job in ?

Yes, phone number is a must. I never hired anyone at the interview. I always called them back, sometimes as soon as a half hour, but always later. I wanted time to think about it.

And yes, remove the references. Just say "References Available".

I hesitate to say it, but I do not see any list of machining abilities: lathe, milling, grinding, manual, CNC, etc. That leaves me wondering.

I'd put my phone number on there also.

Brent

And an address, if I'm looking I will hire someone with the same qualifications whom lives closer to the shop, also want to know if we are needing to figure out relocation as part of the offer.

Also as Mattij pointed out, some sentence structure is funky, but not a huge deal, unless you are applying to the Columnist's position.

Remove the personal interest and goal section.

Specify what machine if complex machines involved as hobby lathe same as most complex if not otherwise indicated.

Needs to be single page and fully state hour your abilities fit the job...auto body is different field so take it off and have a statement stating previous work history in unrelated fields available or something along those lines

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

You should specify what kind of job you're looking for.

Format:
You - your info
Goal - what are you looking for?
Experience
Schooling
Other

References - upon request. your references won't be so happy when random internet weirdo's start calling them ;)

Funny, I used to make resumes the same way.

Cut it down to one page and become a salesman of your talents when interviewing for a job.....

You should specify what kind of job you're looking for.

;)

Yep. I actually have several resumes depending on what specifically the position is I'm applying for.
My machinist resume highlights my machining background while my programming resume highlights my programming background, etc.

How often do you get fired that you have to keep a pile of resumes kicking around?

I'm a contract nc programmer. Most of my programming jobs last 6 months to a year and a half. Most of my machinist (non contract) jobs last 6 months or so before I quit. I've been layed off many times but never fired for bad performance. Most of my jobs now are repeat jobs so everyone knows what they're getting. You can do this when you've been around for awhile...

A lot of good comments but include the references as a page by itself and last.

I would deliver the resumes in person if you can so there is a face and personality to go with it. Follow up call too but don't make a pest of yourself. Ask for an interview, not a job. Say you want them to know who you are when a position opens up. Low pressure and you get to check them out too.

As a retired Machine Tool Instructor in The Wisconsin Technical College system, I take notice of the very thin occupational experience you have as a person who seeks to enter the career path that you indicate. You would appear to have spent at least 3 years in attending machine tool programs. I think it is suspicious that your instructor has not told you of a opening in a local shop, that would let you go to school and be able to earn while learning. It has been my experience that my students have gotten jobs within about 3 months or less after starting my program, employers were willing to let them continue their education while working on the job. I would recommend that you get some job experience as a machinist, as yours is practically non existence.

Back