What's new
What's new

Want to import tools from Canada to USA

Neil

Hot Rolled
Dear Forum,
I have an opportunity to buy a lathe and some other machine tools in Canada for my own use. Will I get hit with heavy tariffs? Can somebody direct me to information on this? I live 20 miles from the border and the tools are in Toronto.

I bought a tractor, a Case 1470 from Puslinch, ontario.

The dealer had a trucking company that handled all the paperwork, the fee was very reasonable as
the tractor was used.

Trucking

Is it really a good deal, or are you just hungry for Tims & Swiss Chalet ? So need an excuse to travel
to the "fatherland"....:D

If the "tool" was actually "made in USA" there is nothing "terrif" related at all.
It is "coming home".

On the other hand, I don't git the whole "terrif/duty" thing anyhow - as I thought that we were running under NAFTA, but I know that Canada charges duties on stuff going north accrost the 49th.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I've bought a few new machines from the US, 2 of which were made in taiwan, other one Spain, I think the duty was $8 or $11 on one of them, nothing worth remembering, broker fee was a fair bit more, and the taxes were a write off thankfully. Story could be different going the other way, but I'd expect the fees to be less entering the US because the rule is we get screwed up here. Kinda surprised you want to buy a machine from up this way, they always seem cheaper in the US, or the dollar is working out now?

There's no such thing as free trade, only a bunch of murky bs rules and brokers filling their pockets every time the same item goes across.

My ex father in law is retiring and wants to get rid of his machines. I do not even know exactly what they are, so I am waiting for a list.

If you can prove the country of origin is Canada, USA or Mexico, then there is no duties/tariffs. There may be a sales tax, depending on the point of entry/final destination. Do it now before Donald scraps NAFTA.

Get a proper receipt showing he is a family member and it was gifted to you.

I've bought some stuff over the border, never paid a tarrif, but the govt here wants their sales tax.

There are exemptions for gifts

If you are close to the border, visit a brokerage firm in person.

They will have experience.

They can handle customs paperwork, but they do charge for that.
https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Importing into the U.S.pdf
200+ pages of info

If it's expensive equipment, it may be worth that.

Back