What's new
What's new

Painting Galvanized steel? Cheap options? PVA?

bic

Cast Iron
Hello all.

I am fitting out my new 1000 sq ft workshop, and I have put a mezzanine floor in one side.

At some point in the future, when I have a bit more time, I intend to underdraw the mezzanine floor with plasterboard, but for now, I am going to just paint the underside white to reflect a bit more light when I am working underneath.

Painting the underside of the floor itself is fine as it is chipboard; but the floor purlins are new-ish galv steel.

I don't really fancy splashing out on etch primer to paint the galv steel before i gloss it white - does anyone know of a cheap method of priming the galv steel so that i can get oil based gloss to stick to it?

Has anyone tried neat PVA?

OK Cheers

Rich

Why paint it? Why not just paint the wood, the galvo will stay nice and shiny for years indoors. Alternatively, just fit some reflectors to your tubes and get on with something useful. You can get a etch wash though for use prior to painting, have no idea of cost, i get stuff galvanised so i don't have to paint it :-)

Thats not a bad idea, I might just leave them shiny...it's just the curious part of me wonders if I could prime the Galv with a water based treatment like a PVA solution, so it would take an oil based paint.

I'm sure I read where someone did not bother with etch primer, but just used a water based primer. Damned if I can remember where I heard / read it though...

IME the biggest problem with commercial water based paints and metal is oil and grease, nothing like ordinary emulsion to rust an unprotected steel part either.
Never tried PVA on galvanised but as it's sort of basicly (very basicly!!) emulsion paint without pigmant I think you couuld have similar problems.

Hammarite over here does a water based etch primer for alu and zinc metals (its pink though, so would be a giant pain in the ass for your needs). I am sure others must do similar paints though! it does work well on aluminium too i can vouch for that.

Back