What's new
What's new

Waste OIl - Shop heat?

Stuart Caruk

Stainless
I seem to be collecting a few barrels of waste oil, mostly Vactra # 2 way oil. I'm looking for an efficient way to get rid of it. Has anybody run waste way oil in an oil burning furnace? I drizzled some on some logs in the wood stove and it doesn't seem to want to burn terribly well.

Anybody figure out a good way to get rid of old gungy coolant while we're at it?

What would be your opinions for filtering the top 3/4 of the 55 gal drum of used vactra #2 way oil.

You could pump it through two sets of 5 micron diesel oil filters

It used to be that any fluid drained from an old tractor was ran through the tank as fuel to get rid of it, just make sure not to run it straight. Do you have an old tractor?
Rob

Disclaimer: the following is a hairbrained idea for burning waste oil in a woodstove

Could one find an old injection pump and injectors from a diesel engine, worn and drooling even. Power the pump with an electric motor, and aim the injectors over the wood fire? The atomized oil should burn well, if enough air were present. The "throttle" control could vary the intensity of the heat, as could speed of the pump, and control the pump with thermostat controls...

The above probably won't work- just something I have pondered from time to time as it gets cold, and I take another 5 gallon bucket of used oil to tractor supply

I expect you would have to get Vactra very hot to ignite well. Dribbling it on a wood fire probably ain't enough.Other alternative is to atomize it . Get enough oxygen into the atomized fuel, and it'll burn very hot. Can't hazard a guess as to what the additives are going to chemically transform into when oxidized(burnt), but you're really gonna need a lot of ventilation. Also, if you're in a municipal area, be expecting a visit from the local enviro agency. I'll bet they fuss. They're always such party poopers. Hell, the greens don't really wanting us burning hydrocarbons in our cars, much less in a homemade furnace, even if it is a form of re-cycling.

Disclaimer: the following is a hairbrained idea for burning waste oil in a woodstove

Could one find an old injection pump and injectors from a diesel engine, worn and drooling even. Power the pump with an electric motor, and aim the injectors over the wood fire? The atomized oil should burn well, if enough air were present. The "throttle" control could vary the intensity of the heat, as could speed of the pump, and control the pump with thermostat controls...

The above probably won't work- just something I have pondered from time to time as it gets cold, and I take another 5 gallon bucket of used oil to tractor supply

If the oil is filtered to less than 5 micron and the oil then pre-heated before going through the injection pump, it would likely work pretty good in a stove because I know this method works great in an old diesel vehicle. If it were me, I would just run it through a diesel engine / generator and use the waste heat for shop heat and use the free electricity.

Diesels can run on 100% oil but the injection pumps are not designed to pump viscous oils very well. Heating the oil to 200° lowers the viscosity a bunch just like diluting the oil in the diesel fuel to lower viscosity.

I have at least a thousand gallons of used motor oil in a tank out side the shop what do you do with the stuff. I called several places and they wanted to charge an ass load of money to take it away. I live in the desert so no need for any serious heat.

I like the steam turbine power generation thermite suggested. If you could get an old steamcleaner you would be well on the way, run the waste oil to heat the steamcleaner, feed to a turbine, condense and recirculate. Is this right Bill? Where to source a small turbine for cheap? Large turbocharger maybe? :scratchchin:
--I need to keep telling myself NO NEW PROJECTS--:bawling:
Rob

I have at least a thousand gallons of used motor oil in a tank out side the shop what do you do with the stuff. I called several places and they wanted to charge an ass load of money to take it away. I live in the desert so no need for any serious heat.

what does the county use to spray on your dusty roads??
maybe they'l use the same ol same ol as in the days of old... ??? and take the junk you have

I am not a expert but if you want to burn oil please make sure your temperature in the combustion chambre is high enough (about 1250 Dgr C I think)
That means your combustion chambre has to be made from a refractory material
With that temperature it does not matter how the oil enters the chambre
It will burn anyhow With my foundry furnace I had I just let it drip in the airstream
That also means if you need a atomiser or evaporator your temperature is to low

Peter from holland

Have seen it done with great results in an auto shop. I think he just injects it in the air line and points it at a hot plate in the middle of the stove.

Not 100% sure how he is mixing the air and oil, but likely just a simple venturi.
Took him a while to get it all tuned, but has used it for years.

I think it is otherwise a fuel oil furnace?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Not sure if this is the same all over, but around here, the quick change oil places will take your waste oil for free. Although, that's motor oil, not sure if they would do the same for way oil. But, it's free to ask. Worse thing they could say is no.

Have seen it done with great results in an auto shop. I think he just injects it in the air line and points it at a hot plate in the middle of the stove.

Not 100% sure how he is mixing the air and oil, but likely just a simple venturi.
Took him a while to get it all tuned, but has used it for years.

Yes, it's not rocket science. I've been inten ding to convert my woodstove for years, just hasnt been that cold here (I blame global warming)

You might give these guys a call. their tech hotline is super friendly

Lanair "Waste Oil Fired" Heaters and Boilers :: 1-800-562-5504 ::

Kevin- Please bring it with you if you ever come North to visit the shop. We can put it to use.;)

Best wishes for a happy Thanksgiving.

Back