What's new
What's new

Watch your mailbox! thieves

gixxergary

Aluminum
Been in our current building for 9 years now. Small complex in a smallish town with 4 business's in the complex, and a community mailbox stand out front. Never had any problems, and all the neighbors are good to each other. Last week, our direct neighbors business, had a package stolen from their box, and told us about it. So we look into it, and it appears, we had a box of end mills stolen, other tooling purchased off ebay, and possibly a check from a customer. All this took place on a Saturday morning. Filed a police report, as did our neighbor.

Switching all of our mail to a PO box, and having my son rip the mail box off the stand! Contacted all vendors to no longer use the postal system, only ups. Total, we are looking at 500 or so dollars in tooling gone. The customers check, will EVENTUALLY be straightened out, but that is going to take some time. ( no the most cooperative company )

Lesson learned, and wont happen again,

Gary

Been in our current building for 9 years now. Small complex in a smallish town with 4 business's in the complex, and a community mailbox stand out front. Never had any problems, and all the neighbors are good to each other. Last week, our direct neighbors business, had a package stolen from their box, and told us about it. So we look into it, and it appears, we had a box of end mills stolen, other tooling purchased off ebay, and possibly a check from a customer. All this took place on a Saturday morning. Filed a police report, as did our neighbor.

Switching all of our mail to a PO box, and having my son rip the mail box off the stand! Contacted all vendors to no longer use the postal system, only ups. Total, we are looking at 500 or so dollars in tooling gone. The customers check, will EVENTUALLY be straightened out, but that is going to take some time. ( no the most cooperative company )

Lesson learned, and wont happen again,

Gary
many setup a video camera on the mailbox. its like somebody cutting chain or cable lock off and stealing a bike right next to security guard station. most likely waiting til guard goes on his rounds and nobody there. make it a high def camera. nothing worse than poor quality video
people on drugs rarely act sane. literally had a guy lean over cafeteria railing taking money out of cash register and later was caught stealing from somebody at a ATM. some drugs really make people nuts. not that i think they should not go to jail if nothing else so they are forced to not be able to take drugs

i used to laugh at seeing Mr T on the A team tv show. he had easily over $10,000 in gold around his neck. he would be shot in the back and gold taken for drug money in a lot of neighborhoods with a drug problem.
people on drugs often act desperate and will do not normal things. people ordering iphones, ipads and electronic stuff sure boxes delivered get stolen often. people looking for stuff to sell cheap.
we had guy take many $500 measuring gages from work and sell to a pawn shop. somebody saw gages on internet and pawn shop keeps stuff for 30-60 days. it still had company id numbers on gages. they have the employee who stole them on pawn shop video selling the stolen goods. fairly standard pawn shop have store video and they keep stuff usually over 30 days as they give $50. for stuff you can buy it back for $100. basically pawn shop acts like bank loans at high interest.
you bring police in, pawn shop will usually give stolen stuff back eventually and work with the police. it dont pay to piss off police. pawn shop just acting like a bank giving high interest short term loans thats there real way of business

We have a guy that's been giving his debit card to another employee to lock up in his box every weekend - so he can't spend the money on his drug habit. Well, last sunday the guy came in with a bastard file and destroyed the toolbox to get into the drawer and get his card.

We have a guy that's been giving his debit card to another employee to lock up in his box every weekend - so he can't spend the money on his drug habit. Well, last sunday the guy came in with a bastard file and destroyed the toolbox to get into the drawer and get his card.

some people on drugs if you turn the other cheek like they teach in church your liable to get shot and stuff taken from your dead body. drug use really makes people crazy or desperate. of course some crazy people dont need the drugs to act crazy. some are crazy when they go off their medication thats controlling their mental problems

The mail should be delivered through the door, not in a box outside. Especially with boxes.That's the way it is done. Businesses around here have signs with "UPS Delivery" at the roll-up door. Forget the community mailbox, let the postal worker walk a few more steps to your front or side door.

The boxes coming from Amazon are the worst because they have the Amazon name printed on the packaging. Had a expensive electronic instrument stolen because it was in a Amazon box. A postal worker stole it, never reached my location.

The mail should be delivered through the door, not in a box outside. Especially with boxes.That's the way it is done. Businesses around here have signs with "UPS Delivery" at the roll-up door. Forget the community mailbox, let the postal worker walk a few more steps to your front or side door.

The problem is, if your address is classified as being on a Rural Route, the roadside box, that the post person can reach from the truck, is the only type you can use. That's been the way it's been at our last two business locations. The alternative is a PO box, which is what we use. The PO address has additional advantages, since we are a manufacturing facility with no walk-in trade; it makes us harder to find. It also allowed us to move without changing the published business address (we only moved cross town).Packages too large for the PO box are automatically held in the post office, with a notification card put in the box. Nice warm, dry, secure, indoor storage for free. What's not to like?

As to UPS and Fedx, I believe you can specify "no weekend delivery" and "signature required" with both. I now have all my personal stuff delivered to our shop, rather than just left on the porch at home.

Dennis

The alternative is a PO box, which is what we use.

Keep in mind that USPS / POBox cannot be used to receive packages from UPS / FedEx / DHL / Amazon's in-house delivery drivers. Only items sent via USPS can be sent to a POBox...

In order to have packages received from other shipping services, get a box at a private mailbox provider like UPS Store, Postal Annex, etc. They will accept packages from all services and hold them for you (and UPS Store will notify you by email).

Relax,
In a couple years this stuff will all get delivered to your rooftop drone pad.

Of course the crazies will have net guns to capture drones.

Keep in mind that USPS / POBox cannot be used to receive packages from UPS / FedEx / DHL / Amazon's in-house delivery drivers. Only items sent via USPS can be sent to a POBox...

In order to have packages received from other shipping services, get a box at a private mailbox provider like UPS Store, Postal Annex, etc. They will accept packages from all services and hold them for you (and UPS Store will notify you by email).

Might be OK for someone without regular business hours, but the big problem I see is if THEY decide to move, your business address changes. Not too much of a problem for items shipped in (they should ship to the address on the purchase order, right?) but a consideration for your official contact mailing address.

We've been in business for over thirty years now, and once had to change our mailing address. What a pain. Sure you can have forwarding service, but only for a year. What about questions and warranty claims after that? We had literally millions of of pieces of paper out there with the old address on them. Luckily, we're in a small town, and the postal clerks make an effort to deliver anything with our name to our box, but they don't have to. I think the last thing with the old address came in about ten years after the change. No, now that I think of it, an outfit we do occasional business with just exhumed a twenty five year old address when they typed out a Bill of Sale. Dickheads. Old addresses never die; they live on in somebody's computer FOREVER.

Since we have regular business hours, both UPS and FedEx were instructed years ago not to leave packages if there is no one to receive them, which means no weekends, and occasional other holidays. They've been pretty good about it, to the point that I don't ever remember a problem. I truthfully would rather receive my order one day later rather than wait, then have to wait some more for a re-order after it becomes evident the first order was lost/stolen.

Dennis

Ups and fedex are not a problem, since I work the standard 12 hour days like most of you. Going the PO box route, but have a ton of emails to send out to both vendors and customers. Luckily, we found out today, that the customers check, was NOT stolen. That helps, as I bet it would have taken 6 months to get that cleared up with these folks.

Have a phone conversation with ups and FedEx as well as other delivery services and have it recorded in their database for your address a simple statement."No signature is no delivery....period"

UPS has an option for no signature and others may as well.

Amazon also can be advise of statement as they seem to use an assortment of delivery vehicles and some seem to be Joe citizen in private vehicle as contractors and these guys are the worst as they toss and run while ringing doorbell too much work.

If you insure the vendors via your po indicate signature required they will need it.

Worked one time where they delivered to wrong place and person signing used their name so proof of delivery showed wrong name so vendor shipped another one.

USPS does not do this unless paid for so po box or work with postal inspector to have deliveries made inside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Stealing mail is a federal crime, with federal time in prison, but for some reason the local police do not treat it with respect. The post office police is bigger then the FBI and they can do a good job if they get informed. But good luck with doped up thieves who have no determinable logic to trace their crimes back.
I am surprised no one has talked about reinforced mail boxes with underground transport into the secure basement of the building.
Bill D

One of the luckier things about relocating to Wyoming turned out to be that outside city limits mail is only delivered to boxes located out on a main road—not good if you depend on checks showing up. So you get a PO Box, which, being inside the Post Office, is pretty hard to rip off.

Have a phone conversation with ups and FedEx as well as other delivery services and have it recorded in their database for your address a simple statement."No signature is no delivery....period"

Don't waste your breath. I probably made 30 phone calls to UPS after moving in to my current place. Not one word ever got to a driver.
They were going through the gate in to my back yard, and leaving stuff at the back door. That is all well and good. Better than the front door.
But, the reason they were doing it was: it was the easiest. They could hit two houses with one park.
Well, one day, I am sitting at my desk in the shop, and my dog runs up and jumps on my lap. WTF?! How did you get out?!
Then the brown truck rolled by.........
That pissed me off! So I put a sign on that gate that read something like this:
"All deliveries MUST go to building at rear of lot"
After he ignored it 3 times, I wasted 2.5hrs of my life parked just inside the gate on a lawn chair where he wouldn't see me when he blasted through the signed gate.
He did. After he threw the parcels at the door, and turned back for his truck, he was greeted with one very pissed off 6'1" 320lb loose-cannon.
At the top of my lungs, in my biggest meanest voice, I told him all about how he let my dog out. And, that my wife has other peoples kids playing in this yard.
And, that he was an ignorant mother-effer' for blatantly ignoring the sign. And, that if I caught him inside that gate again, he would be tresspassing.
At which time I would feel threatened and act accordingly. He delivers at the shop now. Never with a smile.
He was an ass-hole way before my time according to the neighbor. Who has tried to get him to do the same on his side for 3 years, LOL.

Ups does listen but it may take effort.

If the no signature option is NOT selected then the delivery cannot be confirmed without one plain and simple.

A conversation with area management can get it in the database and a bad driver still can be on the route.

If you miss a delivery then ups will need to fix it as no proof of delivery.

Been there done that....

Amazon also is in the loop and credits instantly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back