What's new
What's new

Were is the biggest factory using CNC that you know?

ricardo_gt

Aluminum
So, were it is and how many machines do they have? What industry are they from?
At my country, the biggest one, have allmost 500 CNC´s working 27X7...automobile industry. I know that other factorys from the same group have a lot of CNC machines also, so, maybe not even close from the biggest that can exist in the world...

Boeing has several facilities with a lot of CNC equipment. I'd assume Airbus as well.

I have worked for a company were we made parts for some airbus providers. Airbus it was just an assembler of parts, it did not manufacture anything separately, those who manufactured were the suppliers. At Toulosse, Frnace, almost all small and medium-sized CNC workshops manufacture for airbus suppliers.

So, were it is and how many machines do they have? What industry are they from?
At my country, the biggest one, have allmost 500 CNC´s working 27X7...automobile industry. I know that other factorys from the same group have a lot of CNC machines also, so, maybe not even close from the biggest that can exist in the world...

Bigger the firm, greater the need, higher the probability they diversify across national and continental boundaries for a great many very good reasons. Exposure to natural disasters, national grid failures, transport network disruptions, labour strife, political risk, economic shifts...

We (Business OPERATIONS do-er-bee guru's, as opposed to Business ADMINISTRATION scorekeepers) do, actually, study this stuff and apply some seriously gnarly mathematics to it in learning to plan factory locations, their logistics networks and their labour pools.

My point?

If you DO find a Mexican or Chinese factory even as large as yours - never mind larger?

Those who put that many "eggs" into one vulnerable basket will be among the LESS wise, not among the MORE wise.

The best-managed "Just In Time" plan in the world goes seriously pear-shaped when a blizzard, hurricane, or general strike pays a visit to a primary facility or its materiel "food" supply. Geopolitical shifts tilt the reason for its being. Those can last "forever" as far as the viability of a single plant or campus of them is concerned.

Recent examples? Auto making and even BEER making (Carlsberg's "Baltica" brewery) for the Russian market. Big change. Big shutdowns. Yet OTHER plants making auto's or beer never missed a beat. By the time normalcy returns, such plants can be useless. If even still intact, they've become obsolete.

Mostly, they are not "mothballed". They are sold-off fast and cheap, lest they be simply looted.

More risk than gain to over-concentrate.

Bigger the firm, greater the need, higher the probability they diversify across national and continental boundaries for a great many very good reasons. Exposure to natural disasters, national grid failures, transport network disruptions, labour strife, political risk, economic shifts...

We (Business OPERATIONS do-er-bee guru's, as opposed to Business ADMINISTRATION scorekeepers) do, actually, study this stuff and apply some seriously gnarly mathematics to it in learning to plan factory locations, their logistics networks and their labour pools.

My point?

If you DO find a Mexican or Chinese factory even as large as yours - never mind larger?

Those who put that many "eggs" into one vulnerable basket will be among the LESS wise, not among the MORE wise.

The best-managed "Just In Time" plan in the world goes seriously pear-shaped when a blizzard, hurricane, or general strike pays a visit to a primary facility or its materiel "food" supply. Geopolitical shifts tilt the reason for its being. Those can last "forever" as far as the viability of a single plant or campus of them is concerned.

Recent examples? Auto making and even BEER making (Carlsberg's "Baltica" brewery) for the Russian market. Big change. Big shutdowns. Yet OTHER plants making auto's or beer never missed a beat. By the time normalcy returns, such plants can be useless. If even still intact, they've become obsolete.

Mostly, they are not "mothballed". They are sold-off fast and cheap, lest they be simply looted.

More risk than gain to over-concentrate.

I agree i and disagree with you: see, if you look at Kawasaki, the best just in time system,supposedly,you are correct. But, if you look at one factory having machines prior to year 2000, machines working perfect, using machine brands as GROB, COMAU, EMAG, Liebher, and so on, there you have a managment system very well lubricated and doing money.

Supposedly Foxconn purchases over 800 Fanuc Robodrills every month just for the iPhone.

13.000 employees... If they work in shifts, and count 1000 for other purposes than machining operators, then we can be talkin about near 4000 machines!

Supposedly Foxconn purchases over 800 Fanuc Robodrills every month just for the iPhone.

Foxconn has large campuses, multiple factory buildings, each. Also multiple other, similar, large campus sites.

They have products of their own, and/or own other companies that do, but at core, they are primarily contractors for manufacture of the products of others.

They can dodge a bullet or three that way.

A customer gets beaten to death in the market?

Foxconn will then build the goods for whomever beat them.

Hired in at McDonnell Aerospace St. Louis in 1978, Personnel man said I'd be working in the biggest machine shop in the world. Don't know if it was true at the time but compared to any other shops I spent the first 8 years of my career in it was impressive. I do know part of the deal was that all it was only a machine shop, no assembly work or anything else, strictly making F4, F15, F18 and later C17 parts in that building.
Dan
PS I retired after the Boeing takeover and after Boeing sold to GKN, currently GKN Aerospace.

There's a definition problem.

The "largest shop" might mean the shop with the largest envelope machines - so know shops like Janikii (spelling) north of Seattle with 5-axis mills that have travels in the 100s of feet, etc. are in contention. (SOMEBODY buys 3meter DMGs, brandtmans', zimmermans, fidias...)

On the other hand, a not nearly so large facility could have a swarm of people running a great number of small machines...

And what is "CNC" - any computer controlled manufacturing device? Or only those that cut or grind material?

There's a definition problem.

The "largest shop" might mean the shop with the largest envelope machines - so know shops like Janikii (spelling) north of Seattle with 5-axis mills that have travels in the 100s of feet, etc. are in contention. (SOMEBODY buys 3meter DMGs, brandtmans', zimmermans, fidias...)

On the other hand, a not nearly so large facility could have a swarm of people running a great number of small machines...

And what is "CNC" - any computer controlled manufacturing device? Or only those that cut or grind material?

LOL! There is that.. I'd actually want to class the "largest" by after-tax profit, or profit-center contribution, meself!

Otherwise, what was the point ... of "however many" machines or the acreage of the roof over them?

How about on Mars or other planets where the little robot uses it's sensors to reach out and grab some rocks and then test them to see what they are made of. Due to the time delay there is some independence and CNC control onboard.
Bill D.

Not sure the question on "biggest".
Floor space active, number of cnc machine tools or pure cubic dollars on the floor?
Some people make big parts, some people have lots of small machines, some have very expensive equipment.
Over a lifetime autos can be the single largest consumer investment so they tend to top the list in money.
Bob

Well its sure as hell not my place. That said, if i can ever get ahead enough to finish the gang lathe and i succeed in getting it shoe horned in im well up for the running of the highest machine density per square foot award.

Back