What's new
What's new

what would you do in this Situation.

5 months ago you were hired ?

Probably your still under "suspension" for newly hired, and
you can be let go easily without any lawsuits.

5 months ago you were hired ?

Probably your still under "suspension" for newly hired, and
you can be let go easily without any lawsuits.

"Probation" [/pedant]

But yeah, making thread go bye-bye might be good, but I'd keep an eye out for new positions anyway, as there seem to be some sub-primes where you are now.

I deleted what I originally posted. In retrospect posting what I did may not have been a smart move at this time. I may give an update on Monday when the dust settles.

I have been considering moving to Austin Texas or back to Denver for a while now. Just curious what people have to say about the machine shop / design engineering scene in either of those two cities.

I deleted what I originally posted. In retrospect posting what I did may not have been a smart move at this time. I may give an update on Monday when the dust settles.

I have been considering moving to Austin Texas or back to Denver for a while now. Just curious what people have to say about the machine shop / design engineering scene in either of those two cities.

Either CAN get you a better life on less money than what Seattle has become.

If I was still young enough to have to care, and wasn't already a Virginian? I'd chance Texas.

No free rides, but less pretence and healthier attitudes mean a better chance you can GENERATE a life for yerself - even if not an exact match to what you (think) you are seeking.

Up to you, though. Anywhere, really.

Seattle blows in my opinion. If someone is in tech and all they care about is career and money than Seattle could be alright. My career means a lot to me but I like to have fun, Seattle is about as un-fun as it gets for a city. I ended up out here by chance, and all I have been thinking about as of late is moving. I may just have the opportunity to do so now.

I should add that aside from summers which are awesome, near constant rain is not a major motivator to get out and do stuff, meet people, take on projects.

..all I have been thinking about as of late is moving. I may just have the opportunity to do so now.
"Opportunity?"

Times change, I guess. 13 schools by HS graduation, 13 or so company jobs, after, many needing a change of motor-vehicle operator's permit, if not also a passport and visa.

Never knew one had to wait for issuance of a hall-pass from someone else to just stand up, seize an opportunity - or MAKE one - then JF GO!

:)

The Austin American-Statesman has been doing an ongoing series about rent prices in Austin. From what i gathered, it is nearly impossible to rent for less than $2K a month.

One of my guy's wife is fixing to put her old house in Buda on the market for 195K.

Maybe MikeyD can give an informed outlook on jobs in the area.

Last edited:

I own a shop about 70 miles from Austin, Great place to live/work, we are moving to Austin proper some time next year!

The Austin American-Statesman has been doing an ongoing series about rent prices in Austin. From what i gathered, it is nearly impossible to rent for less than $2K a month.

One of my guy's wife is fixing to put her old house in Buda on the market for 195K.

Maybe MikeyD can give an informed outlook on jobs in the area.

Maybe down town its bad, the outskirts are no worse than any other suburb. Check rent prices down town Houston, they are not California bad, but getting there.

Back